gdf

Life

Oh yeah, I noticed when talking to a colleague that the iOS version seems to be a lot better than its Android counterpart. No ads, pretty much just works fine. It sounds like the way they're able to offer it for free with no apparent monetisation strategy is that in fact the ads are all on Android, which is pretty shitty.

I do believe that they open up their API for their food database, which is in all honesty what makes it so powerful compared to its competitors. If you can find another app using that API or a comparably broad database (if they exist) then you might find that app's user experience better.

Hey now I liked the latest Led Zep album a lot. I can't think of any other rock album This year that I listened to.

I think Led Zepplin is the greatest rock band in history, but that band hasn't existed since before I was born. Other nominations in the last 2 years include Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Neil Young, U2 and Tom Petty. Do the Grammys not know that modern rock music exists? It seems like a really marginalized category, I guess.

I really like Beck, but I browsed through his album and that is definitely not rock music. There are barely even any drums in it.

I don't even know what the "imperial" unit of food energy would be! Someone recently was really worried that they didn't know what a kCal was, and I was like "that's a calorie. A regular calorie is actually a kilo calorie." The way I keep track of food is I have a home scale that weighs in grams. Combined with either an established rubric (which I use) or a calorie counting website is how I keep track. The one snag in my setup is I'm also trying to track by macronutrient, so I'm extremely reluctant to have one-dish meals because then I can't accurately measure things out.

I don't even know what the "imperial" unit of food energy would be! Someone recently was really worried that they didn't know what a kCal was, and I was like "that's a calorie. A regular calorie is actually a kilo calorie." The way I keep track of food is I have a home scale that weighs in grams. Combined with either an established rubric (which I use) or a calorie counting website is how I keep track. The one snag in my setup is I'm also trying to track by macronutrient, so I'm extremely reluctant to have one-dish meals because then I can't accurately measure things out.

I get four rods to the hog's head and thats the way i like it!

Well we could just adopt any dumb imperial energy units.

"Man, this place just has no low foot-pound food to choose from."

"I just burned 200 btus with that workout, time to have a nice hearty dinner."

I think Led Zepplin is the greatest rock band in history, but that band hasn't existed since before I was born. Other nominations in the last 2 years include Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Neil Young, U2 and Tom Petty. Do the Grammys not know that modern rock music exists? It seems like a really marginalized category, I guess.

I really like Beck, but I browsed through his album and that is definitely not rock music. There are barely even any drums in it.

Honestly, I don't think the judges know that modern rock exists. If they did, someone like The Black Keys would have won something. There are probably many reasons as to why only the huge bands are nominated, and it's probably largely to do with money. I don't know enough about the grammys to know though.

They got nominated this year, and won a few years ago. I have never watched or paid attention to the Grammys, I just happened to be on Twitter right when James Urbaniak was retweeting a bunch of 15 year olds that didn't know who Beck was, and that piqued my curiosity to look at nominations. My favorite album from last year got nominated, so I guess 100% of people aren't clueless? I suppose it's like when Jethro Tull won best Metal album.

In summary I don't understand award shows.

Oy, life. Soooo, my girlfriend/basically wife beat all the odds and got a few tenure track professor offers, one at a really good school, which is all awesome, and an achievement. now it looks like i'm going to have to move to TX. i'm freaking out.

I've been at my job for about 12 years, and I've really soured on my situation, but I'm also super nervous about leaving. hah. oof. 

Finally gave up trying to edit two podcasts a week and finally finished an illustration project I was working on, and once I get over this ridiculous deadline at work, I will have way less stress and way more free time. I am sitting here at my computer doing blessed NOTHING for once, first time in 2-3 months and it's so amazing and I love it.

I had to cancel a large experiment I've been planning for months because someone left the cell culture incubator open over night and killed all my cells.

This is a huge set back and will take me a couple of months to recover. I'm not even angry at the person, everyone makes mistakes, I just feel lost. 

Oh that is lame:( Do you know who it was, and can you shit on their cells in retaliation?

Where you moving?

99% chance of San Antonio. 

So if anybody knows anybody that needs an Art Director / jr. Creative Director type, in 6-8 months, give me a holler. 12 yrs experience, print/web/mobile/project & personnel management

I had to cancel a large experiment I've been planning for months because someone left the cell culture incubator open over night and killed all my cells.

This is a huge set back and will take me a couple of months to recover. I'm not even angry at the person, everyone makes mistakes, I just feel lost. 

God. Can't imagine the feeling. I didn't get a mutagenesis working for 3 months, it was totally my fault and I felt like shit. It would have been 10 times worse if it was someone else's fault, I think.

Easily the worst thing about counting calories is how it impacts my lifelong passion of eating loads of jasmine rice. Haven't had to weigh the two Oreos I ate a couple hours ago against the crushing depression that I could only eat 1.8 cups of rice for dinner in a very long time.

Basically, if rice is in my future I have to be hella stingy earlier in the day. :(

I just made a vat of chilli bean soup. It is coming in around 350 cal for a huge portion. Nomnom. I am totally addicted to rice as well though. I can do without it normally, but if it is part of a meal I will inhale it.

I bought all the ingredients for some veggie chili and realized I didn't have a pot big enough to actually make it.

So I bought a pot and it will be here tomorrow (assuming delivery guy doesn't fuck up again as they usually do when I have them deliver it to my apartment). 

I don't know how to cook, but this seems super easy so I'm excited!

Also tonight I went and had coffee with a girl I met on Tinder (despite my previous complaints about it!) and it was fun and we'll be seeing each other again.

But that chili, though!

The most important thing about making chili: don't burn the chili. This is all dependent on how high you set your burner to and how thin your pot is. Low and slow, low and slow.

(Also, negro modelo is great in a veggie chili)

(as is a nice amount of seitan)

(oh man I'm jealous of your veggie chili)

This is the recipe I'm going by, FWIW.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2015/02/veggie-chili/

I literally don't know anything about the process of cooking. These instructions seem straightforward enough, and I figure it's harder to mess up Vegetables than it is to mess up Meat. I'm probably wrong, though.

HEY WAIT THIS ISN'T THE COOKING THREAD!

You might mess up the taste of vegetables but you're not going to give yourself salmonella by cooking it wrong!

Good luck Twig. I remember my first vegan meal, I totally botched it but still figured it wasn't that hard to make so I could do better next time.

Oh that is lame:( Do you know who it was, and can you shit on their cells in retaliation?

I do, but they were on the first night of a 48 hour shift at the time. It's so easy to make mistakes at 4am that I just can't blame them.

I'm not really a vindictive person anyway, especially if something's an accident!