gdf

Life

I'm thinking about shaving my beard off to start fresh for No Shave November. Anyone else do it? It kind of scares me. I haven't been clean shaven for at least 15 years, and I'm not sure what my chin looks like.

Not doing Movember?

Oh fuck, missed this earlier. Glad you're okay, and I hope that it all resolves itself quickly.

Yeah, guy gave me £20 for the repairs that cost £12 and refused to take the change back. Really nice guy, I think the whole thing scared him more than me.

Oh, and I got taken off again today. Broad daylight, on a cycle lane going past bumper-to-bumper traffic, a van pulled out onto the cycle lane and just stopped there as I was coming (it's not like there was even room for him to enter the traffic!) It was too wet for my breaks to do much but fortunately I saw him in time to bail and let my bike hit the van while I hit the tarmac. 

Luckily no damage to the bike, me or the van. 

Crazy, I've not had anything happen to me in over a year and now twice in 3 days.

I find it goes like that.

Are you riding the Curry Mile by any chance? Want me to give you some defensive riding lessons? :)

Those cycle lines British councils paint at the side of roads aren't worth shit and also aren't obligatory. Ride fast, take the whole lane and no one will fuck with you.

Nah, not, Curry Mile. Hyde road. 

It's usually pretty safe, there's a bus lane that have no buses, and I usually just take up a load of space, but there's plenty of room for me to be over-taken.

It's just people not looking as they're leaving a junction. I wear hi-vis everything, except for my shorts, have lights (although they could be brighter) all over my bike/helmet. Don't really know what more I can do to be visible aside from waving my hands around whilst moving. 

Ah, yeah. Road positioning is pretty much the only thing you can do on top of that. This article on human vision by a fighter pilot is great reference, and since reading it I've tended to take a position nearer the centre of the road when approaching junctions.

(Scotchlite silver reflective stuff is also awesome at night)

I am incredibly excited for November 1st, because then Halloween will have passed and I can shave off this awful goatee I grew for my Game of Thrones costume. I've cured myself of pretensions of facial hair for at least a year this time...

I'm going to do the opposite, I'm shaving down for a Halloween costume (probably, if I don't chicken out). Figured as long as I was doing that, I'd go for No Shave November and try a different style of beard by the end of it, plus make a charitable donation or two.

Not doing Movember?

I'm not actually all that familiar with the various varieties of Movembers, Noshembers, etc. I just know it's a thing, and usually associated with male cancer awareness. 

My wife just told me she's, semi-jokingly, worried she won't like my face if I shave.  She hasn't seen me clean shaven since '94, when we met.  The last time I shaved completely clean was probably in '99 or '00, and she didn't see me in that brief window (we didn't get together as a couple until about 10 years ago). 

Hah yikes. I feel pretty self conscious if I don't have any kind of beard hair going on. Just because at this point I'm not used to it and no one else it either.

People Badfinger with facial hair is said to look, this week edition:

A rabbi

Tim McGraw?

I think that's a compliment? I was not aware I resembled Tim McGraw in any way. I'm much more familiar with the work of his father.

Never had a proper beard to shave (couldn't grow one if I wanted), but I did cut off ~30cm of hair once and that felt weird but also great. It grows out again anyway, until it doesn't.

I've been clean-shaven (or close to it) for a few weeks now, by far the longest stretch of time I haven't been fully bearded since I was 17 I think. (I'd done a clean shave a few times since then, but probably only two or three times total, and I just let the beard grow back immediately afterwards in each case.) I guess I might as well do some kind of Movember thing now.

One of my friends just told me he worked in a warehouse in the summer for a company that makes electronic cigarettes, and that the employees would get given an amount of stock each week as an added reward of what they were paid (minimum wage I think). They were free to do what they wanted with it - smoke it, sell it, give it away, etc. On the one hand I can't help but see this as kinda sketchy, an employer essentially gifting each employee with an addictive substance, but I can't tell if I'm reading too much into what could be a fairly innocuous thing. 

That seems really dodgy. I'm also pretty sure that the warehouse workers legally can't sell it.

I mean in the enforceable sense. There's almost certainly some piece of legislation in supasheep's state, province or country about licensing as it pertains to the sale of addictive substances (especially if these are the kind with nicotine in them).

I've known some folks who worked at a brewery, and part of their employment package was that they could take a case home a week.  But I think there was a deal where if you didn't want free beer, you could instead get a quarterly bonus or something equal to the production cost of the beer. 

Mah beard?!  WHAT HAVE I DONE!?

post-33601-0-62017900-1414785702_thumb.jpg

post-33601-0-23001000-1414785842_thumb.jpg

post-33601-0-55875600-1414785983_thumb.jpg

It's weird, I forget how much more expressive a face without a beard is. And I keep reaching up to fuck with my beard, and its not there. On the bright side, my wife loves me clean shaven, though now she's threatening to not let me grow my beard back out. This makes me sad.

post-33601-0-70255300-1414786134_thumb.jpg

You had a pretty good The Dude look going on in the first picture :P

I've done the lazy man's dude custom and just worn a bathrobe to a party before B)

Now shave your head too.

I actually keep debating on it.  The main reason I have long hair is that I hate haircuts, and just never get them.  But if I shaved it off, I could just let it grow back out and not worry about a haircut for quite awhile.  Maybe next Halloween. 

oh my god it's like seeing wilford brimley in the thing

I'm never going to be Kurt Russell, so I guess Brimley works.

It's weird, I forget how much more expressive a face without a beard is. And I keep reaching up to fuck with my beard, and its not there. On the bright side, my wife loves me clean shaven, though now she's threatening to not let me grow my beard back out. This makes me sad.

It does look pretty good. She might be right.

Yeah I have to say that clean shaven picture is not bad. People without beards also tend to look younger, if that's something you enjoy.