gdf

Life

I had to sleep over at Charles de Gaulle a few winters ago because entire Europe was under fog and all planes were grounded including my connecting flight. I didn't have a visa, so I couldn't leave the airport. The next time I traveled made peace with the vengeful gods of travel and tried not to flip out much. Also, got a DS.

Yup, got a DS too, a computer and an Iphone… And none of them had batteries, fuck you english plugs.

Yup, got a DS too, a computer and an Iphone… And none of them had batteries, fuck you english plugs.

Oh.. That's the worst! As one after another of your devices kicks the bucket.. I knew it was all downhill for me when I had to pull out the old disc-man as a last resort when my color game boy gave up the ghost.

Of course, I'd already used up all my monies on batteries 26 hours earlier that trip. :(

Ah, the student life. I just came off of two weeks with a major assignment due at least every other day (and am still on the forum when I really should be working on my honours thesis) and haven't slept more than 5 hours in a night for about that long. I've still been working 3 to 4 shifts a week in there as well. Oh, and a proposal for $17,500 of funding for a Master's degree program I may be starting on next year was due this morning, taking up a huge portion of my time as well.

So I get 3 hours of sleep last night to get that proposal in on time. I'm more than likely not going to get it, as it only goes to 120 people in all of the Social Sciences and Humanities faculties in every university in Canada, but I wanted to at least get my name in and it seemed like good practice. Huge relief when it all gets put in there, at least. I sit in the library working away on my thesis for two hours before my next class, drinking energy drink after energy drink to keep myself awake, go to class, and come home for a 3 hour break, desperate to take a nap. Checking the mail when I arrive home, I see I have a very official looking letter from the province. Opening it up, I've been granted a $2,500 scholarship from the provincial government for academic achievement. There are some pros and cons to this:

Pros:

- $2,500! Woo!

- I can now afford to take that trip to Florida my girlfriend really wants to go on in February

Cons:

- I'm now very pumped over this, enough so that I am unable to take that much-needed nap.

- This comes a day (ONE [1!] day!) after I would have been able to put it on that application for the much larger scholarship, which would have significantly improved my chances.

I've emailed the administrator of the SSHRC (big) scholarship to see if they'll let me add it in 4 hours after the submission, as it's not like the forms have gone anywhere yet. I shouldn't really bitch about getting a bunch of money. Event = awesome. Timing = not ideal.

Weee... first day at the new job. It was ok, not much special, I think I'll go again tomorrow. I'm not really impressed with the iPhone though. I don't think it's user friendly at all.

Weee... first day at the new job. It was ok, not much special, I think I'll go again tomorrow. I'm not really impressed with the iPhone though. I don't think it's user friendly at all.

I always judge a job by the quality of pens that are provided for you. The better the pens, the more agreeable the position. How were they?

Quill pens or I walk, I always say.

Haha, I am pretentious enough to only ever use fountain pens of value £25 or above, my favourite pen was my old Parker 45, but my current pen is pretty sweet; also using anything but a fountain pen makes me upset.

I AM NOT WEIRD.

I almost got a Sharpie tattoo!! (good thing I didn't, I'm a sakura man now)

I exclusively use quills unless I'm at work, where I need ballpoint to go through to a carbon copy thing when making safe deposits. People at school always love borrowing my notes, not just because I take good notes, but because they're so damn pretty.

I always judge a job by the quality of pens that are provided for you. The better the pens, the more agreeable the position. How were they?

I don't know. They didn't give my any pens, just an iPhone, new laptop, a desk, coffee and lunch.

Not a bad first day! I got a stack of HR policies to read today.

So they're chucking me in the deep end tomorrow, and I'm off to see a service user. I'm totally ambivalent and petrified about it.

I'm so far out of my comfort zone.

I exclusively use quills unless I'm at work, where I need ballpoint to go through to a carbon copy thing when making safe deposits. People at school always love borrowing my notes, not just because I take good notes, but because they're so damn pretty.

Scann that, I want to see it !

I don't know. They didn't give my any pens, just an iPhone, new laptop, a desk, coffee and lunch.

lol, 'nah they didn't give me a pen, they gave me a wacom'

2009!

I start working at Tesco today and to continue getting my bursary I have to quit my awesome current job at the After School Club :finger:

I also have three (admittedly small) essays due in the next couple of weeks, and the fact I have no time (living at home whilst at uni is a bitch) means they could be shoddy/late.

On the other hand, going to Glasgow on Monday to see Muse with a friend who lives down there. Hooray!

I went to Los Angeles for three months to get acquainted with the Hollywood movie industry to see if a career in writing would be something for me, and today was my first work day at the company I'm interning at. It's really cool so far, reading and reporting on bad screenplays. It's also fascinating to see Hollywood Power Players in action, on the phone all the time swinging around golf clubs in the garden.

In the coming three months, I WILL find some time to travel to San Francisco for a couple of days. Anyone up for a meet?

In the coming three months, I WILL find some time to travel to San Francisco for a couple of days. Anyone up for a meet?

I could at least recommend some fun places to go if you're unfamiliar with the area.

I went to Los Angeles for three months to get acquainted with the Hollywood movie industry to see if a career in writing would be something for me, and today was my first work day at the company I'm interning at. It's really cool so far, reading and reporting on bad screenplays. It's also fascinating to see Hollywood Power Players in action, on the phone all the time swinging around golf clubs in the garden.

Oh man, oh man, oh man... I wish I were you. That sounds fascinating. You should write a blog about your experiences there.

Can I ask what you do for a living that allows you to consider a career in Hollywood writing? (You make it sound so easy :))

I AM writing a blog, but it's Dutch so I hadn't posted it here. However, you could Babelfish is for further hilarious effect. Taking a leaf from Double Fine, it's called http://www.hollywoodactiontales.com!

What I do for a living in the Netherlands isn't really that important. Sure, I was already in the entertainment field, having my own one-man company doing animations for TV and writing about games and making comics. But that's really unimportant when you get here. What they want from you is simply total dedication, and then you can be an intern no matter what you did. The thing about Hollywood (and actually everywhere else in the entertainment biz) is that it doesn't matter what you did before, it matters what you can do right now.

That said, preparing for this trip took me a good half year of arranging everything and being generally very nervous about flying and my stay. The period before I arrived here was a very low one, filled with feeling psychologically bad in the evenings due to nervosity and racked with doubt if what I was doing made any sense. The closer I got, the less sure I was of why I was doing it. I wouldn't easily go through that again (it lasted months and months), but I hope it's worth it now that I'm here and seeing if I can make it on the very peak of the entertainment industry. The important thing will be that I gave it a real, fair shot and looked this fucker clear in the eye :)

(When I get to the point that I visit San Francisco, I'll be more than happy to take you advice on where to go, guys! First stop: the Full House condo!)

What kind of cheap, crappy job have you got? ... won't even give you a pen.

:mock:

I wouldn't easily go through that again (it lasted months and months), but I hope it's worth it now that I'm here and seeing if I can make it on the very peak of the entertainment industry. The important thing will be that I gave it a real, fair shot and looked this fucker clear in the eye

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Your outlook on this is really impressive! Best of luck to you!! I hope that your dedication really pays off. I think that you may need it in the super-competitive atmosphere of the entertainment industry. Of course, I have no actual idea how the atmosphere of the entertainment industry really is.

I AM writing a blog, but it's Dutch so I hadn't posted it here. However, you could Babelfish is for further hilarious effect.

Also, if you succeed, I think that this should be a movie script... directly. Verbatim.

I particularly enjoy this part: "I must write down this differently am it gone, gone as a disturbed macaque which a mooring rope has hijacked bananas of the market and now the jungle shoots in."

Man, I can't read "gone as a disturbed macaque which a mooring rope has hijacked bananas of the market and now the jungle shoots in." without hearing it in Max Payne's voice...

Man, I can't read "gone as a disturbed macaque which a mooring rope has hijacked bananas of the market and now the jungle shoots in." without hearing it in Max Payne's voice...

At least it's probably not something you'll read every day.

I AM writing a blog, but it's Dutch so I hadn't posted it here. However, you could Babelfish is for further hilarious effect. Taking a leaf from Double Fine, it's called http://www.hollywoodactiontales.com!

What I do for a living in the Netherlands isn't really that important. Sure, I was already in the entertainment field, having my own one-man company doing animations for TV and writing about games and making comics. But that's really unimportant when you get here. What they want from you is simply total dedication, and then you can be an intern no matter what you did. The thing about Hollywood (and actually everywhere else in the entertainment biz) is that it doesn't matter what you did before, it matters what you can do right now.

Well I used to live in LA and be married to an actress, so I know a little about the entertainment biz... and it's quite a feat to get yourself an internship as a foreigner. (They're not sponsoring you/paying you, are they...?)

I have checked out your blog, mistranslated it, and watched your showreel, and all I can say is: Well done and congratulations! I can't understand why you could think that what you're doing could be a mistake... Sure, LA is tough on the newbies (it's the same for everyone) but it's definitely worth the experience... no matter how scary. Enjoy your time in LA, I think it's a wonderful place once you've found the bits that work for you... you just need to start making friends as soon as you can.

Also, that's a sweet, sweet pad you got there, too. Nice one.

Edit: Now you're in America you need to be aware of the differences in our Yankee friends' culture. This video should give you taster of what you should expect while you're out there:

68Ep9WIc3TY

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Haha, the macaque thing is gold =) It was actually about writing stuff down before it would be gone, gone like a macaque stealing bananas from the market and now zipping into the jungle. I'm a little saddened it'll be hard for you to follow my posts though. Fun as it may be, the original intention will be a little lost. Damn.

And a well-hearted thanks to you, Thunderpeel, for the kind words. The difference in culture was actually quite surprising. Despite growing up watching American culture on tv, it was quite a shock nonetheless to find myself suddenly in it. For some reason I had a larger culture shock here than I had when visiting Turkey. Perhaps part of that is because I'm really trying to blend in here, making all the little differences rather big.

Of course, it doesn't help that one half of the people here are ditzy Valley folk, and the other half crazy-ambitious power players.