gdf

Life

My parents have just moved back in with us. Ok, so we're in their house (that was) and they're building one that isn't quite finished... it's still tough though.

But if you do have a mortgage, interest rates are about to drop again! whoot.

My town was depressed even before the recession started so house prices were low. My and my friend managed to buy a house between us while doing our PhDs. Right now I'm paying all the mortgage (my friend lives in dublin) and it comes to the princly sum of €500 per month. i have a lodger who knocks another 220 quid off that too.

There you go, my best attempt at making you feel better.

Anyhow, living off the parents sucks, but sometimes it all you can do. When i was unemployed my mum gave me her bank card so i would have some cash. Once i got a job i stopped fleecing her. Last year i got layed off and then quickly got a new job, so i was able to pay my parents back some of the money they had given me with my redundancy. it was only then that i realised that they hadn't been on holidays in quite a long time due to supporting me:( So now i give them even more hugs than usual whenever i am home and do the gorcerys and the like. I don't think i could actually live with my parents again now though. I'm too used to being my own boss.

Also it's in San Francisco, which is a place I'd like to try living.

If you get it and need a roommate in San Francisco, hit me up. That's basically the situation I'm in right now.

Shammack, will the studio help you to find housing? Some companies really support employees to move to them.

Even if you end up in a motel for a week, around the studio is probably the best place to ask.

Are motels cheap in the US? We found them ludicrously expensive in Canananannanananada

Shammack, will the studio help you to find housing? Some companies really support employees to move to them.

They're going to reimburse me for a bit of the moving expenses, but other than that, they basically just recommended a couple of areas to search Craigslist for. I've already reserved a motel for a week (which came to about $500) and it looks like I'm going to have to do most of my apartment-hunting from there, since most of the people I've contacted so far are looking for people to move in immediately.

A vacation from your problems!

What About Bob references! One of my three favorite Christmas classics, the other two being Die Hard and Night Before Christmas.

Good luck moving, the one time I tried it the renting deal I had fell through because the guy got a different roomie during my bus ride there. I was very sad to arrive in town and find I didn't have a place to sleep. Since then I've decided moving isn't for me.

If you get it and need a roommate in San Francisco, hit me up. That's basically the situation I'm in right now.

Well, the hiring process might take a bit longer than you'd be comfortable not having a solid living arrangement, but okay! I've got no one else there, heh.

:tdown: Dropped laptop like big idiot. Result: Broken wifi card one day later. Lost most of a working day to researching and trying to fix.

:tmeh: Opened it up, reseated everything, and it worked again… for about an hour. There's no obvious damage, so it's probably cracked a tiny bit of solder somewhere. I might try to reflow the PCB with a toaster oven.

:tup: USB tethering on new Android phone works like a dream. I could just depend on that because it keeps the phone charged too.

This has stressed me out because it's happening at the same time as a bunch of other stuff, and I absolutely depend on having a functioning computer to work, but it all seems really trivial compared to Subbes and Shammack's lives at the moment. Hang in there, both of you.

:tup: Went to IKEA in Finland to get some furniture

:tdown: Missed my boat

:tmeh: Got on another boat

:tdown: Had only two hours to spend at IKEA

:tup: Good friends who found and bought some stuff for me while I was getting there

:tdown: Sleeping in cost me the price of a couple of AAA video games

:tup: I now have some furniture

:tup: USB tethering ... works like a dream. I could just depend on that because it keeps the phone charged too.

That rocks. I always have a back-up internet thanks to USB tethering.

Sorry about your computer.

:tdown: I am sick.

:tmeh: Missed work yesterday.

:tup: Did manage to update Hobo Lobo, at long last, holy fuck, damn, yo.

Last wacky long pause happened because we went to Serbia for a month. And that was practically half as long as this one. These last few months were crazy busy and they've finally let up. For a while there, we were traveling every weekend. One of these travel weekends, I lost my wedding ring in Lake Lanier, while hanging out for the weekend after someone else's wedding. :tdown:Right off of this pier in the center here (this looks like a pretty old satellite image, the lake contour and the pier arrangement looked slightly different). I jumped in and it just slipped off my finger. If anyone finds it, please send it to me. Fortunately it was one of our backup rings, not the actual rings we were married with. :tup: And stuff… but anyway, NEW LOBO!

Yesterday night I took a walk and came by a dying hedgehog on the street – hit by a car probably some minutes before I found it. It was breathing very heavily, couldn't move, there was some blood around. My first thought was that I have to kill it, but pretty much instantly knew I could not do it. Then I wanted to move the little thing off the street, but when I touched it, it shook heavily and I couldn't do that either. I sat on the curb for some minutes, talking to it – more for me as it probably sacred the small one (if there was room for fear besides the dying). I couldn't bear sitting there doing nothing, watching him suffer for long, so I got up and left, and when a car passed by I wished for it to finish what another one had started, but the driver saw the bundle and drove around.

Yuck. I'm not really an animal lover but I saw a cat get run over a while back and it was awful (and I hate cats). Before I stopped to think what I was doing, I had parked my car across the road, blocking the traffic (as I would do in the ambulance when called to an accident) and gently moved the cat off the road. When I became aware that the people were waiting and watching me, it dawned on me that this wasn't a person. It felt strange not being able to do anything, knowing it was going to die and just...watching it happen, poor thing. I'm still a bit weirded out by it and I see death and dying everyday. I think it was the helpless feeling that keeps bringing it back.

It's not the most comfortable feeling to wake up in the morning with a flu and realize that there are two strangers in your balcony who act as if they belonged there. Later I realized that I had accidentally slept in someone else's flat they were doing some kind of maintenance.

Nothing left for me to do but to keep my curtains shut and listen to their gossiping.

I just finished my last day at the TV station where I've been working for the last four and a half years. I literally feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Yuck. I'm not really an animal lover but I saw a cat get run over a while back and it was awful (and I hate cats). Before I stopped to think what I was doing, I had parked my car across the road, blocking the traffic (as I would do in the ambulance when called to an accident) and gently moved the cat off the road. When I became aware that the people were waiting and watching me, it dawned on me that this wasn't a person. It felt strange not being able to do anything, knowing it was going to die and just...watching it happen, poor thing. I'm still a bit weirded out by it and I see death and dying everyday. I think it was the helpless feeling that keeps bringing it back.

Aw ;( I was walking home yesterday and saw a dead cat by the side of the road. At first I thought he was sleeping but then I got closer and saw he was still ;( it made me sad, it was someone's friend and pet just lying there on his own. I felt like I should put his body somewhere quieter so he could have a little dignity or something. ;(

I'll just leave this here to lighten up the mood:

Scotty (shammack) just left on his road trip to move to San Francisco. I'm alone in the apartment with the cats. My heart is breaking even though I know this is only temporary.

Much sympathy for you, subbes. Hopefully the knowledge that this pain is the price of such a great opportunity will comfort you a little. I hope you're reunited soon.