gdf

Life

That's actually interesting, because I don't quite feel the same. As much as I believe in a hard, scientific, rational world, those intellectual realisations haven't, in fact, trickled through to my emotions. The truth is, I am quite scared of monsters and the dark: quite superstitious! But those fears will not be placated by any sort of conviction about science. In the same vein, I sometimes find I am calculating life in terms of karmic systems: 'So many bad/good things are happening to me right now, the opposite is sure to happen soon.' That's a little simplistically stated and not an actual example, but it describes the sentiment.

If only my emotions were more in check with my scientific outlook on life! Damn you, emotions!

What the fuck guys. I go to bed and you pull this. Jesus, I can't leave you alone for a minute or we'll have some kind of meaningful debate.

(I'm solidly avoiding this debate because I am in a sense religious, but not actually, but that's a long conversation you'd have to PM me about and I'd rather not interject weird views into this... wonderful discussion.)

Science is exciting because we're always learning new things.

I'm not really sure how relevant that is to anything being discussed, but that's the only important thing that needs to be said about science, as far as I'm concerned!

Also I hate taking a test next to a person who BREATHES. It is like it took real effort on his part to inhale AND exhale. SO LOUD.

I hate taking a test next to a person who BREATHES. It is like it took real effort on his part to inhale AND exhale. SO LOUD.

:science101: If the test room weren't so silent, his breathing wouldn't stand out so much. Paradoxical!

Yeah but no I'm talking about people who just breathe loudly in general. I'm around him a lot (he's a friend) and he just does this. X:

So, two weeks ago I was contracted to do a short animated segment for this documentary being produced in Austin and it's going to be shown on a movie theatre screen, possibly later for home release. This doesn't pay that well but it's going to be fun, I think. The documentary finished funding through Kickstarter two months ago and apparently one of my favorite directors had donated a chunk of change, meaning he will probably see my animation. This is scary.

Tonight, I'm scanning all my drawings for the animatic and I think it's all finally sinking in and I'm kind of freaking out right now. I have two more months to complete the whole animation outside of work days (I have to try really hard to clock out at near 40 hours every week and not get raised eyebrows), and since this is actually going to be on a movie theatre screen, produced at 1080p, I have to make sure to get rid of as much traces of me still being wet behind the ears and needing a decade more or so of improvement. I really can't fuck this one up.

So I have to try my hardest to not waste time at home watching movies or playing video games until it's done from this point on, plus I need to really not ignore my girlfriend too much in the process. Gahhhh.

Also the referral to these guys making the documentary came way out of the blue from a guy I've hung out locally many times from the old Sam and Max forums. Once again, somehow Sam and Max has led the thread of my life. Bless those freelancers.

Sounds like an interesting opportunity, synth. Good luck! :tup:

Yeah, go make something great! Maybe involve your girlfriend, so you can combine her and working on the project?

You heard it here first, Rodi condones using unassuming family members to create horrible machineborgs to do all our work.

(Man, sg, that's awesome. I'm sure you'll do fine.)

Congrats Synth!

*If* you're anything like me and have the tendency to become single-mindedly absorbed in a project, I'd advise doing the opposite of what Rodi says. Apologies if this advice is not quite relevant to you, but I've found it important in the past:

It sounds like you'll be living and breathing this outside of work, and that will be tiring and stressful. Take time out to be with your girlfriend. The horrible thing about it is that, by taking time away from work, sooner or later inspiration will strike, and that could be very trying for both of you if, for instance, it happens in the middle of date night. I'd advise carrying a notepad so you can quickly scribble stuff down and get back to it later.

I totally agree, but it's that original assumption that's important to keep in mind. Science works extremely well for explaining and predicting our experience, but it is based on some key assumptions. The practice of science is not problematic, but science cannot uncover absolute truths in the sense you would need to disprove God, for instance. This is why some of the greatest scientific minds have been religious at least to some extent.

This is a bit of a strawman argument, as the vast majority of atheists don't use science to "disprove God". Most atheists would be labelled as "agnostic atheists", (don't believe in a God yet also believe it is probably impossible to prove God is not there either). Compared to gnostic atheists which are as you are describing (don't believe, yet somehow knows there is no God).

I can't find any reliable numbers for the ratio of gnosticism in atheism, but I'd be willing to bet it is far outnumbered by the agnostic side.

Of course, this system isn't perfect for labeling and describing the wide spectrum of beliefs, but it does make a very valid distinction on both sides about the manner of their belief.

Here's and article that goes into it a bit more: http://freethinker.c...009/09/25/8419/

Edit: Your friend sounds like a twat though. Slap him or something.

Also I forgot to read the latest page and now this post is off-topic already :fart:

I wasn't arguing against the vast amount of atheists, was I? I am one, for Brahma's sake.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were speaking in a broader sense.

Thanks for the encouragement and tips guys!

Yeah, go make something great! Maybe involve your girlfriend, so you can combine her and working on the project?

There might be a way at some point if she feels like she wants to do menial stuff, but often we are just in the same room when she works on her hobbies and I work on mine. I think she'll understand this more than stuff I've kind of went hyperfocus on in the past.

It sounds like you'll be living and breathing this outside of work, and that will be tiring and stressful. Take time out to be with your girlfriend. The horrible thing about it is that, by taking time away from work, sooner or later inspiration will strike, and that could be very trying for both of you if, for instance, it happens in the middle of date night. I'd advise carrying a notepad so you can quickly scribble stuff down and get back to it later.

I think you've got me figured out completely. I used to be better at carrying a notepad around but I've been forgetting it the last year.

He already mentioned it in a different thread, but I want to put it in here, too:

Scotty (shammack) has accepted a job with Telltale, working a a cinematic layout artist.

This means he has to move to California. I will not be moving with him right away; I'm staying here in Tallahassee at my current job until I find something in California, as we can't afford to live together in CA unless both of us are working. Scott's looking for places to live (anyone who has any ideas, please PM him) and I am worrying about surviving without him for a few months.

Additionally!

I have "christmas tree rash," which is not as festive as it sounds: it's a rash that covers most of my body (except my head, forearms and legs) and itches quite terribly. The only treatment is time; it will go away in 4-6 months. It's not contagious as far as Science can tell, but Science also has no real idea what causes it. My mother thinks it is stress-related, while I think I got it from an adorable foster kitten.

My car's starter motor just went out, and Scott's car runs but is too decrepit to survive the drive from Florida to California. His parents have kindly offered to help with a replacement car for Scott, and we'll be patching mine up and tying bits on with baler twine to keep it running. I can also walk and bike to work.

I found a place for him:

progress_inside.jpg

He can sleep under the table when they're not recording. Or whenever if he's quiet.

Congratulations, shammack, that's wonderful.

Can he impersonate blaring sirens? hired.

Congrats, Shammack! It's really cool. Did you leverage any Idle Thumbs connections? You know, I know these guys... Let's call it the Rodkin Bump.

Ooooo, I want to be hired through Idlethumbs!

As far as places for him to live, would rooming with someone in California for the time being be the best route? Cost of living there is scary as hell.

Did you leverage any Idle Thumbs connections? You know, I know these guys... Let's call it the Rodkin Bump.

I originally found out about the job by pestering Jake and Famous about it at the PAX East Wizardmeet last year, but other than that, not really. I didn't really feel like listening to a podcast that some guys who work there are on made me all that much more qualified.

As far as places for him to live, would rooming with someone in California for the time being be the best route? Cost of living there is scary as hell.

I currently am scared as hell. I'm moving out there with only what I can fit in my car (no real furniture to speak of or anything), so rooming with someone would be ideal, but so far I'm not having much luck finding anyone willing. There are lots of Craigslist ads, but since I won't actually be in the area for a few more weeks, people don't seem to want to wait on me before renting to somebody else. It looks like I'm probably just going to need to stay in a motel or something for a week or so and try to find something from there once I'm actually in town.

If anyone in SF is reading this thread and wants to offer my husband a couch to surf on for 2-5 days, that would probably be a really sweet gesture.

I can't promise he won't randomly start laughing to himself about horsebag, though.

The first benefactee of the Idle Thumbs Work Placement Program! Congrats!

Wait so if my girlfriend donates 1k$ to Idle Thumbs do I get a job at Telltale too?