OftenK

The Wii's Launch

I'm pretty sure they said there was an ethernet port.

My bet is that there will be a network cable socket on the WII aswell as wireless. Or are they really forcing you to use wifi?

I'm pretty sure they said there was an ethernet port.

yeah either that or there will be an ethernet adapter

but at least built in wifi = some kind of awesome DS connectivity

if onilne capable Wii games don't allow you to send pictochat willies to other players then i'll be seriously disappointed :P

I don't see what all the fuss over region-locking is ... Nintendo has *always* been this way. Home consoles are region-locked, handhelds aren't.

But something called "globalization" has happened in the meantime... Perhaps the console manufacturers / game publishers should get with the times.

But something called "globalization" has happened in the meantime... Perhaps the console manufacturers / game publishers should get with the times.

DVDs are still region-locked aren't they? The X360 is still region-locked. And I'm certain that when all is said and done, the PS3 will be region-locked.

What I'm thinking though, is that they'll all be region-locked like the X360. That is, the hardware will support region-locking, but it'll be up to the publisher to enable it.

SiN

I'm pretty sure the ps3 is region free.

People were pretty sure it was getting a European launch this year too :shifty:

People were pretty sure it was getting a European launch this year too :shifty:

European launch, fighting for the few consoles they get at amazon, same thing, right?

:erm:

Think about it though.... 200,000 (or was it 300?) at launch? I'd love to see the "caught on tape" for when those stores open. We've had charity laptop days at public libraries turn into riots.

I think it's a stupid article. It ends with

If Nintendo doesn’t support their franchises like Mario Kart, F-Zero, Metroid Prime, and Zelda with online gaming, you can guarantee there will be some pissed off Nintendo faithful. It was inexcusable with GameCube, and it would be just plain stupid with Wii.

Yes. What I've always wanted was online Zelda. :deranged:

Also

But we should expect these games to be playable online with friends and upgraded with progressive scan visuals. That would at least take the sting out of re-hashing the same games over again. Microsoft does it and I expect Nintendo to make the effort as well.

YES! I demand progressive scan Clu-Clu Land fully online enabled with leaderboards! No wait, I don't care. If anyone played the "online" modes of the classic arcade games on Live, they'd know that it's not exactly a model worth pursuing because nothing makes Frogger more fun than LAG. :deranged:

I'm definitely pre-ordering, but I haven't decided on what game(s) to get.

I'm considering Zelda, but to date, I have never really liked a Zelda game. Link to the Past bored me, as did Ocarina of Time. I finished Majora's Mask, but only because I really wanted to see how close that meteor could get (it was pretty cool, but the gameplay was dull as dirt). Wind Waker made my eyes bleed.

Excitetruck looks like a lot of fun, but I don't know if it'll be fun after 20 minutes of playing. That's the one I'm leaning towards at the moment.

Metroid's not a launch title, but even then, I got so bored with Metroid Prime 1 that I'm not sure I'll really be all that interested in it when it does come out. Metroid Prime was a completely lifeless FPS. No character interaction whatsoever, no dialogue, nothing. I need more than that.

Mario Galaxy is the game I'm *really* looking forward to, but now that's not a launch title either.

Those planning on pre-ordering, what are you getting?

I'm considering Zelda, but to date, I have never really liked a Zelda game. Link to the Past bored me, as did Ocarina of Time. I finished Majora's Mask, but only because I really wanted to see how close that meteor could get (it was pretty cool, but the gameplay was dull as dirt). Wind Waker made my eyes bleed.
Are you human, Jason? Are you human? ;(

Don't know if I'm pre-ordering, since I doubt it's going to be that hard to get a console at launch in Denmark or Iceland. But when I get one, I think I'll be pretty satisfied with Wii Sports and a couple of Virtual Console games.

Also, there's supposedly a Remote/Wii Play (Duck Hunt, Air Hockey, and so on..) bundle which I think'll be loads of fun.

Out of the launch titles, though, I'm pretty interested in Zelda, Rayman, Monkey Ball and Red Steel.

So yeah, just the console bundle, hopefully a nice remote/Wii Play bundle (maybe I'll buy three remotes) and some Virtual Console games. If I go for the launch games, I'm torn between Zelda and Monkey Ball (the GameCube one served me well..)

Wind Waker made my eyes bleed.

This makes my eyes bleed. :eek: So I'm guessing there's no chance of a cel-shaded Civilization V? Cel-vilization would be awesome. :shifty:

Terrible Trauma Center!

Are you human, Jason? Are you human? ;(

I'm more human than human.

Other things that might piss you off:

I don't like Metal Gear Solid, Metroid or WOW.

I think Beyond Good & Evil is an average game that was shipped in an unfinished state.

I think Psychonauts was an okay game with funny dialogue, but I completely understand why it didn't sell.

And so on.

I'm more human than human.

Other things that might piss you off:

I don't like Metal Gear Solid, Metroid or WOW.

I think Beyond Good & Evil is an average game that was shipped in an unfinished state.

I think Psychonauts was an okay game with funny dialogue, but I completely understand why it didn't sell.

And so on.

A man after my own heart (WoW and BG&E notwithstanding).

Agree on BG&E and WOW. As for MGS, I love the storyline (dunno why, honestly) but not the gameplay, so I always set it to "very easy" and blast through to watch the story unfold. With Metroid, I'm curious. Have you played the 2D ones, or just Prime? Honestly, Prime did get pretty damn boring at points, and I resorted to a guide once in a while to tell me where to go next. Without that, I probably would have given up. The GBA and SNES ones are fantastic though.

As for Psychonauts, LOVE. But whatever, your opinion.

Games I'm planning on getting:

Zelda, Monkey Ball, Play, Rayman, Excite Truck.

Go through that list from left to right until I run out of money, (because let's face it, I won't be able to afford all that on day 1) buy the rest of it at a later date.

I get what you're saying about the unfinished state, although I think it had more to do with short-sightedness than laziness. I'd really enjoyed the working with the secondary character to make progress, and when Pey'j returned I was rubbing my hands together with glee at the prospect of some puzzles with a layer or two more of added complexity. Set myself up for disapointment there. Otherwise, it was an excellent game.

Eh, I didn't really get that unfinished vibe from BG&E at all. It felt like an extremely polished game to me and I felt completely satisfied at the end, even if it did lead right into a sequel that never came.

With Metroid, I'm curious. Have you played the 2D ones, or just Prime?

I've played the original, Super Metroid, Prime and Fusion. Fusion I kinda dug. The others bored me.

What's Play?