ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Erkki   

It seems Olive Kitteridge hasn't been mentioned here. I just watched it and I think it's pretty great. It deals with relationships similar to how Bergman did it, but with more production values I would say, or at least more varied scenery. And perhaps less dialogue, more in a kind of "show don't tell" way. Bergman would just have the people stuck in a house talking or something, but here we see the characters actually moving between different parts of their lives, and we see a span of 25 years of their lives (great make-up BTW!).

To me the first half was stronger and the ending was really good again, but some parts of episode 3 and 4 were kind of losing me. Don't look at the spoiler if you intend to see it, but haven't yet.

Bill Murray at the moment is kind of like a half-mythical being - he is reclusive and chooses to appear here and there. I knew he was in this in some capacity, but after his initial appearance I was disappointed that it was just a cameo. And then when he appears again before the end it felt to me like a huge immersion-breaking event, and that immersion-breaking seemed intentional. It's like it took the story from one reality to another, closer to the real world. I'm not saying as if he does some kind of miraculous acting there, just that his presense is kind of a reality-distortion, because of his status. Anyway, after Murray was re-introduced, I think the ending tied together things nicely, and a little immersion-shattering helped it connect back to the real world for me, or something (sorry, not able to express what I mean very well).

Erkki   

Just saw 3-D Rarities (2015) - an amazing look at early 3D films, starting from 1922! I didn't know it went back that far, but I guess the basic technology is not neccessarily that high tech - just put two cameras/lenses at close distance like the human eyes and synchronize them.

I really like some of the early stuff up to the psychedelic short animations from the 50s. After this it's a new era of "Hollywood discovers 3D" and the content becomes gimmicky and sexist. It's as if they didn't even understand the medium (which I now think is way more demanding than 2D films), but somewhy wanted to spend money on it. All they saw was the gimmick and they made sure to reference it verbally a lot. I'm not sure today's 3D movies fare any better. I guess nowadays they are at least better at making sure people don't feel sick from the disparities, but 3D movies are still just 3D versions of 2D movies, but IMHO this is the wrong way to approach the medium.

Erkki   

The Square (2017), Cannes Palme d'Or winner, is quite something. There are some very powerful scenes in it, but I'm not quite sure it's the kind of powerful I like. And I didn't understand the point fully - maybe needs some digestion or a more educated viewer.

maxresdefault.jpg