ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

10581 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2017 at 0:10 AM, Woodfella said:

Has anyone seen the new  Alien yet? 

 

It's bad.

 

There's a thread for that!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Boxer's Omen is a 1983 Shaw Brothers kung-fu/horror/black magic movie and one of the most wonderfully ludicrous things I've ever seen. The intensity with which it surprised me at every turn, while still being a completely earnest and well-constructed film about religious piety and good vs. evil, was absolutely baffling. It's pretty gross (it comes with the sub-genre of black magic movies), with a lot of bugs and maggots and goop and organs and bodily mutilation, but it all happens on a surreal operatic level that makes it much easier to take.

 

This clip highlights the film's stream of consciousness structure and also it's amazing special effects bugfuckery. I could not recommend The Boxer's Omen more strongly to anyone who has an interest in cult or strange films.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patrick R said:

The Boxer's Omen is a 1983 Shaw Brothers kung-fu/horror/black magic movie and one of the most wonderfully ludicrous things I've ever seen. The intensity with which it surprised me at every turn, while still being a completely earnest and well-constructed film about religious piety and good vs. evil, was absolutely baffling. It's pretty gross (it comes with the sub-genre of black magic movies), with a lot of bugs and maggots and goop and organs and bodily mutilation, but it all happens on a surreal operatic level that makes it much easier to take.

 

This clip highlights the film's stream of consciousness structure and also it's amazing special effects bugfuckery. I could not recommend The Boxer's Omen more strongly to anyone who has an interest in cult or strange films.

 

I'm not much for "kung fu" movies, but my cinephile friend and I discovered The Boxer's Omen four or five years ago and it remains one of the most interesting things I've watched with him. It just has such an extremely meticulous and intensely absurd sense of reality, it's impossible not to get sucked in a little. The Shaw Brothers are so hit and miss for me, but when they hit do they hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gormongous said:

 

I'm not much for "kung fu" movies, but my cinephile friend and I discovered The Boxer's Omen four or five years ago and it remains one of the most interesting things I've watched with him. It just has such an extremely meticulous and intensely absurd sense of reality, it's impossible not to get sucked in a little. The Shaw Brothers are so hit and miss for me, but when they hit do they hit.

 

It really is the meticulousness that makes Boxer's Omen. To contrast, I recently saw Happiness of the Katakuris for the first time and while that is also a crazy and unpredictable cult movie, it feels a lot less focused and a lot more impersonal than The Boxer's Omen. There is a very specific vision of good and evil in The Boxer's Omen that is very refined and carefully constructed, even if it is also ridiculous and has a sense of humor about itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some great recent movies that haven't been mentioned here(?):

 

Raw (Dir, Julia Ducournau) - a really intimate and empathic coming-of-age film about a young woman, got a lot of hype and marketing presenting it as a vomit-inducing horror film but it's way more than that.

Get Out (Dir. Jordan Peele) - i'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned here as it seems to be a huge box office hit. It hit on so many mundane (as in ordinary and common) themes and situations that are terrifying and anxiety inducing. It's brilliantly constructed and acted, and so much fun to watch with an engaged audience.

Colossal (Dir. Nacho Vigalondo) - MRAs probably hate this film and it has Kaijus in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bolegium said:

Get Out (Dir. Jordan Peele) - i'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned here as it seems to be a huge box office hit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now