ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

10535 posts in this topic

I turned it off after 15 minutes and I've heard that the real appeal of the movie is the war scenes so maybe it gets awesome, but man, I can't believe such a mediocre sappy melodrama like Hacksaw Ridge lead Hollywood to take Mel Gibson back with open arms. I hope during the Oscar ceremony the camera cuts back to him whenever someone mentions diversity or white supremacy. I hope the host takes advantage of it and just is like "Hey, Mel Gibson, remember when that guy told his girlfriend that he hoped she got raped by a pack of N-words? Haha, boy, the Academy are real hypocritical pieces of shit, aren't they?"

The first half is a cheese fest and the second half is like "Look at this guys guts! Look at this guys leg getting blown off isn't war hell? Oh here look at this guy charging in to battle using a dead legless guy as a shield while firing a machine gun with one hand, this definitely happened"

(I did not enjoy it very much)

I just watched Celebrity and I have no fucking idea what that was.  I haven't even rated it on Letterboxd because I literally don't even know what to think.  On one hand I think it might be bad, but my gut is telling me it's good.  On the other hand I think it also might be good, but I want to say it's bad?  It's probably somewhere in the middle.  I liked Judy Davis.  I also liked Leo asking Branagh if he wanted to be in a foursome.

Celebrity is likely bad but I love when Woody Allen does his pastiches and his take on La Dolce Vita is one of my favorites. And it was fun to see Leonardo DeCaprio in crazy shouty mode a year after Titanic when I had always taken that as a new development. 

9 hours ago, TheLastBaron said:

I just watched Celebrity and I have no fucking idea what that was.  I haven't even rated it on Letterboxd because I literally don't even know what to think.  On one hand I think it might be bad, but my gut is telling me it's good.  On the other hand I think it also might be good, but I want to say it's bad?  It's probably somewhere in the middle.  I liked Judy Davis.  I also liked Leo asking Branagh if he wanted to be in a foursome.

Usually being a fan of Woody Allen movies that don't feature him in a central role - I thought Celebrity was utter shit. None of it was interesting, Brannagh felt flat (which is unsual for him). Leonardo felt like he was desperately trying to not be the Titanic guy. The culmination, given Woody Allen's fucking gross proclivities, felt twee and token rather than triumphant.

It was a film that got pooped on at the time, being a contrarian, I wanted to like it but I just walked away bored.

Just a heads up for UK Thumbs (and the VPN-savvy amongst us) - BBC iPlayer is streaming last year's acclaimed documentary OJ: Made in America free, for the next 30 days or so. It's the whole eight hours, split into three parts. 

I've only watched the first hour, but so far it looks to be an incredible piece of work.

Grand Hotel is an amazing movie, the kind of movie with a big cast and many intersecting storylines that Robert Altman would make famous, except in 1932. Definitely one of the movies that inspired Wes Anderson's The Grand Budapest Hotel, except it's a drama and not a screwball comedy. Much darker and complicated than you'd think from such a lavish production, and the way all the storylines intersect is really impressive. If you are the kind of person who can watch Hollywood movies from the 30's, this is one you definitely need to see.

On 2/22/2017 at 9:16 AM, marginalgloss said:

Just a heads up for UK Thumbs (and the VPN-savvy amongst us) - BBC iPlayer is streaming last year's acclaimed documentary OJ: Made in America free, for the next 30 days or so. It's the whole eight hours, split into three parts. 

I've only watched the first hour, but so far it looks to be an incredible piece of work.

The fictional series is also on the Netflix in Ireland and I am guessing the UK