ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

was this whole terrible movie just an excuse to make a song with waka and pac man? id actually be less annoyed if that was the case. 

was this whole terrible movie just an excuse to make a song with waka and pac man? id actually be less annoyed if that was the case. 

It's not even out yet!

I recently discovered that Amazon no longer lets me download media that I buy to watch offline. I am since it gives them total control over media I theoretically own. I don't like buying movies and TV shows on disc since its not convenient in this post CD drive age. Is there a online movie/tv store that allows download for offline play? Itunes? Google Play?

I believe Vudu does it on select devices. Alternately, a VPN + The Pirate Bay.  :fart:

Meanwhile:

Dreamworks, 1998: What if an ant made a wacky face?

Dreamworks, 2001: What if an ogre made a wacky face?

Dreamworks, 2004: What if a zebra made a wacky face?

Dreamworks, 2007: What if a bee made a wacky face?

Dreamworks, 2008: What if a panda made a wacky face?

Dreamworks, 2010: What if a face made a wacky face?

Hey now. Antz is way better than A Bug's Life. Kung Fu Panda is pretty much a perfect movie. And How to Train Your Dragon is amazing.

also UP SUCKS after the first fifteen minutes. truly bad.

But if Up is bad, how can so many critics be wrong?

I'd say Up is the prime example of everything wrong with American animated movies. The bar is set so fucking low here every piece of not absolute garbage gets a great rating.

Hey now. Antz is way better than A Bug's Life. Kung Fu Panda is pretty much a perfect movie. And How to Train Your Dragon is amazing.

also UP SUCKS after the first fifteen minutes. truly bad.

Agree. Kind of agree - it's good fun. Disagree - pretty bland with annoying voice-acting. Agree.

I just mean that KFP is basically a master class in story structure.

And come on!! The dragon makes such a wacky face!!

Up was a huge disappointment. So much potential wasted on fucking talking dogs flying airplanes.

I'm still patiently watching this thread and waiting for some talk about Inside Out. That movie was truly outstanding and you should all go see it immediately.

We watched Magic Mike (the original, not the current in theater one) last night.  For as terrible as it was...it was oddly really entertaining? 

I believe my plan right now is to see Inside Out on Tuesday if all goes well, Zeus. I'll report back.

The concept of Inside Out seems really gimmicky and limited to me, so I'm surprised it's getting generally very good response.

My friends with younger kids who have seen it have told me that it really hit home for their children, kind of capturing and communicating the how children experience emotions differently than adults might. 

The concept of Inside Out seems really gimmicky and limited to me, so I'm surprised it's getting generally very good response.

It is definitely easy to see it that way at a conceptual level. But their execution was superb on this one and there are a lot of really clever things that they did to personify the way we think about and process things. It's kind of weird that this is supposed to be a kids movie too because so much of it can really only be fully understood and appreciated by adults. Even if it doesn't totally click with you I think it would be worth the 90 minute time investment.

The 5 emotions to a person concept came off as oversimplified and limiting to me, but when i saw the movie it was super impressive how the dialogue between the characters represented the complexity of certain emotional responses. Like Zeus said, it was well executed.

In the realm of pixar movies with the most from-scratch world building (monsters inc, wall-e, cars?), certain parts of this world seem far-fetched to me, but is apparently backed by some kind of actual research, so whatever.

The part where Disgust and Anger try to emulate Joy at the dinner table is great.

I also hope that this universe contains Osmosis Jones in it.

Inside Out doesn't release here in the UK until the end of the month :( But I do already have a date plan to go see it, hooray!

does anyone else have Movie Pass? I'm on my two week free trial and used it for the first time a couple nights ago and will probably do MMXXL or Inside Out tonight. it seems like a pretty incredible deal, especially in NYC where it works at nearly every theater including ifc, bam, and nitehawk. the only bummer is you have to wait 24 hours between uses. so I saw Ex Machina on Wednesday at 10:50pm and was going to see the 7pm When Marnie Was There Thursday before I remembered this restriction. poop.

edit: sorry for the ad

I'm going to see Inside Out on Monday and will be pleasantly surprised if it is the return to form for Pixar that others have claimed.

Inside Out will release in Germany in about four months. Strange globalised world. Looks pretty though.

I would say temper your expectations a bit. It is a greater trailer than it is a film. Some incredible dog acting, though.

I saw Man of Steel for the the first time (it's on Netflix) and what a piece of shit. It's like a Superman movie that Lex Luthor would make: Superman is a dangerous, inconsistent idiot who's only good for punching other idiots in the face while the rest of the world burns around him. It's like a "What if..." issue where, in the alternate world, Clark Kent's parents are small minded cowardly assholes who teach Superman to doubt others and let people die because its dangerous to be too good. It gets EVERYTHING that can be interesting about Superman wrong.

Something that's dawned on me in recent weeks is that the interesting thing about Superman is that he is a hero who is post masculine fragility. He has NOTHING to prove. He doesn't have to settle for cynicism or sarcasm. He can afford to be emotionally vulnerable and trust people who don't deserve it and give people second chances because he doesn't have to be afraid for himself. The lower case 'n' nice guy "boy scout" aspect of Superman that typically just gets played for laughs to contrast him from "cool, edgy" heroes like Batman is the type of guy people should hope to like but which ingrained concepts of masculinity actively reject for fear of looking stupid. 

General Zod is the most boring villain you can put Supes up against, especially as his first big threat. He's a dark reflection of Superman, but that's only interesting if you have any idea who Superman is supposed to be. In Man of Steel, Zod is a genocidal madman, to offset Superman's apathetic butt head. 

On the other hand, Lex Luthor is an interesting arch-nemesis for Superman, not because he's all brains while Supes is all brawn, but because he hates Superman for being stronger, more power and therefore, in Luthor's mind, better than him. Superman's existence shames Luthor. He wants to tear down Superman to make himself feel better about himself. He is masculine fragility. 

I guess I'm going to have to just forever re-read All-Star Superman which, as far as I know, is the only Superman story that focuses entirely on these themes.

This concludes my 2 years too late hot(?) take of a shitty movie everyone already knows is shitty. 

I guess I'm going to have to just forever re-read All-Star Superman which, as far as I know, is the only Superman story that focuses entirely on these themes.

I agree with most of what you said, and have to add my support of All-Star Superman as one of the, if not THE, best Superman volumes in existence. I believe there's also an animated film version of it, but I haven't seen it to know how much it lives up to the book.

The only thing that makes me at all hopeful about Batman vs Superman is that it's apparently about Batman taking Superman to task for exactly these reasons. I've been told the idea is his beef with Superman is that Supes made basically no effort to protect all the people being put in danger by his huge battle, and as a result a bunch of Wayne Enterprises employees died.

Finished the Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell miniseries (never read the book). It was a good series, but the ending was a disappointing jumble. I can't really put words to it (at least not without writing a very long post) so I'll just say it was thoroughly unsatisfying. Overall, recommended, but I'd almost suggest skipping the last episode.

On the Superman front, it's weird, but in a way Superman is, in a way, the comic book character, and yet the character is most poorly used when placed in typical comic book stories.  You have to take a different tack to get the best use out of the character.

And yes, All Star Superman is the best Superman story I've read.  Incredible stuff.