ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I haven't seen an animated film that uses the medium that well, does so many things a live-action film couldn't do. That probably just means I haven't seen a lot/enough of the good ones - if you know Kells and have a recommendation in the same vain, please, let me know.

General good animated film recommendations:

• The Thief and the Cobbler - an unfinished yet stunningly gorgeous movie in more fps than your brain can handle
  • Tokyo Godfathers - beautiful and heartwrenching Japanese movie about three homeless people
  • L'Illusioniste - an animated Jacques Tati movie, full of all the lovely little details and mannerisms that make a Jacques Tati movie
  • Twice Upon A Time - technically it's an obscure technique called "lumage", which is stop motion with translucent plastic cutouts. Very difficult to find. Terrible 80's soundtrack but otherwise great.
  • The Triplets of Belleville - "delightfully retro cycling yarn that switches effortlessly back and forth through the gears from weary Gallic insouciance to frantic, jabbering mayhem (the French do, lest we forget, have that ongoing Jerry Lewis obsession)."
  • Mind Game - a crazy trip of a Japanese movie that certainly does things you can't do with live-action
  • Tintin - I went in fully expecting not to like it but I swear those are some of the best action sequences I've ever seen and they would be nigh-impossible to choreograph in live-action

Very good recommendations! I have not seen Twice Upon A Time but maybe I should. The whole thing is on youtube strangely enough.

I recommend Tekkon Kinkreet as well. Same animation team from Mind Game in a similar style, just less trippy and more heartwrenching.

Perhaps there's something wrong with me, but I couldn't get into Tekkon Kinkreet. It came across to me as being weird for weirdness' sake.

I'm not of the school that says 'animation has to be super expressionistic or else I'd rather have live action', btw. Drawings and animated drawings have a charm of their own, that enables the viewer to be drawn into the world of wonder, oftentimes, with much greater facility. Take for instance The Prince of Egypt. It doesn't do anything you couldn't also do with live action, but I wouldn't want it any other way than animated.

Having said that, any movie by Satoshi Kon is brilliant. Paprika and Millennium Actress are excellent.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I haven't seen most of them, but when I thought about special animated films in the wake of Kells Mind Game and Tekkon Kinkurīto came to mind. (Found them via the anime-thread in this forum.)

I'll have to track down the others.

Strange, I can't think of any part of Tekkon Kinkreet that is weird just to be weird. It seems to be a very solid and clear cut movie to me that tells a fully formed story. Did you watch Mind Game? That one definitely fits the weird for weirdness sake part.

This talk is kind of making me sad because I wish there were more animated films like this where it's more for an "adult" in the non tits and blood way but with visual flair through special animated techniques. I guess the problem is they take a while to make with very little return.

Also Castorp, if you are okay with shorter pieces, there's a few anthology type deals out there that have a generally interesting and visually rich output. Robot Carnival, Genius Party 1 and 2, and Memories. Those are all japanese though, with some shorts being some straight run of the mill anime. The Old Lady and the Pigeons, an earlier short from Chomet, is a lot of fun to watch as well. There's also stand alone shorts from some of those Japanese directors from those anthologies that are also very neat: Noiseman Sound Insect, Cat Soup, and Dead Leaves.

Community is returning on March 15th. This has me pleased, because I really like that show. :yep:

Great news! I'm just rewatching what's been aired till now and while some episodes are a bit just-okay, might even seem a bit forced, other episodes are so incredibly awesome, deep, touching, funny, human that this is my favorite comedy series.

Happy+1.

2 Minutes o' Brave.

JOmc2GzWtSE

Another movie I'm looking forward to!

I just viewed in the Pathé cinema the Turkish historical epic Fetih 1453. It's a siege movie, not unlike The Two Towers, about the fall of Constantinople at the hands of Ottoman empire.

I'm always interested in non-Hollywood movies, so seeing a lovingly made epic like this was great. It's a three hour war filled with politics and intrigue. Sometimes it's a little rough around the edges storywise, at other times it's so much more gratifying than anything Hollywood has produced in the field over the last ten years. Since this film might easily slip under everyone's radar (how many cinemas will be willing to show a Turkish film?), I want to give this a little boost. Go check it out if you're into battering rams and historical politics. It's also not as propagandistic as the trailer might lead you to believe.

oTXljiwsKSc

Added video game bonus: at times it feels right out of Assassin's Creed.

I don't know if any of you already know it, but WhatTheMovie is a great combo between games and movies. Or at least, it's a game where you have to guess the movie based on a single still image.

Just watched Heat, which is a spectacular movie with a fantastic soundtrack. It sometimes reminded me very much of Drive.

I saw three movies this weekend:

1) The muppets

Fun movie which captures the muppetshow perfectly. I especially liked how they played with the 4th wall. :tup::tup:

2) The adventures of Tin Tin.

Great looking 3D movie that really brings the comic to live. :tup:

3) Midnight in Paris.

More entertaining than I expected. I like how there is no technical explanation for his

time traveling

:tup: :tup:

What was that thing that Charlie Brooker was sounding off about regarding 'The Muppets'? Chopping the and bottom 'cos cinemas were showing at the wrong screen ratio?

I agree very much with the recommendations for both the Muppets and Breaking Bad. Rather than go to a bar or something, I specifically requested that my partner and I go to see the Muppets for my 24th birthday back in December. I'm an adult, I can have a muppet birthday party if I fucking well want to. It was rad.

EDIT: This may seem overly defensive, but I've had to justify this to far too many people already.

I also just saw Hugo. Don't see this if you hate/don't like the colours orange & teal.

Wonderful movie, and a great use of 3D. Can't imagine most kids loving it, though.

[image of VPRO being pussies and AMC being dicks]

They don't seem to be quite up to season three on the website, anyway.

Aww :/ I was afraid they would do something like this :(

I saw The Cell last night. I didn't enjoy it as much as when I watched it however many years ago, but it was fun seeing a more conventional film with traces of what would eventually become The Fall, as far as I know the most beautiful film ever.

Very cool! Looking forward to Prometheus and may I be the first one to say that I don't really care whether or not there are 'aliens' in this movie. I just want it to be a good sci-fi flick on its own merits.