ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Wait. What? I get the feeling people are reading different things into the little thing I wrote about the move. I just said I hated the color grading. Here you are in a tropical location which would be quite colorful. yet it has been reduced a lot to two tones. And I mentioned that I thought the story of the movie was a bit weird. I don't think I could have elaborated more on the story without spoiling. But here goes:

There are 2 stories going (the beach resort, and the newspaper) on but neither of them gets full attention. The beach resort story never ends (it just suddenly stops), and the news paper story is missing the middle and part of the beginning. So that movie is just an excerpt out of Kemp's life in Puerto Rico. Maybe the novel contains more content, but the movie is quite short on how certain things happened.

I just said I hated the color grading. Here you are in a tropical location which would be quite colorful. yet it has been reduced a lot to two tones.

Yeah, I'm after you about this. We get it, you're opposed to "teal and orange", shut the christ damn hell up about it. Thank you.

I can't comment on the Rum Diaries.

I just saw The Artist, but it was a bad rip, it had no color and the audio codec filtered out the voices.

Anyway, it was delightful!

And man do I love a good tapdancing act. There should be entirely more tapdancing in modern movies.

What struck me about The Artist was how much more leeway actors (and acting) have when it's a silent movie. We wouldn't take any of their acting in a modern, talking, full-color film. But here, the wild grimaces and exuberant emotions are totally believable.

What struck me about The Artist was how much more leeway actors (and acting) have when it's a silent movie. We wouldn't take any of their acting in a modern, talking, full-color film. But here, the wild grimaces and exuberant emotions are totally believable.

Very true. Such is the magic of film!

I can't resist posting this. Possibly the finest piece of tapdancing ever in the history of ever, by Fred Astaire.

IFabjc6mFk4

I can't resist posting this. Possibly the finest piece of tapdancing ever in the history of ever, by Fred Astaire.

Love that clip. I even just watch it out of the blue every so often.

Has anyone here seen Modern Family? If so, what did you think? If not, I have nothing to ask you at this time.

Has anyone here seen Modern Family? If so, what did you think? If not, I have nothing to ask you at this time.

It's a great sitcom. Not very deep, but a great sitcom. Highly recommended. Watch the pilot, if you don't like it, move along (it hits the ground running, unlike Arrested Development, etc.).

My question was somewhat misleading, as I have already seen the first two seasons, plus a couple of episodes. I don't remember anyone mentioning it here, so I wanted to test the waters before wholeheartedly recommending it to everyone able to enjoy light-hearted humor. It's the sort of show I wouldn't usually consider watching – a half-hour family comedy on Fox, dealing with THESE WEIRD PEOPLE THAT HAVE THEIR PROBLEMS BUT LOVE REALLY EACH OTHER AND FAMILY IS IMPORTAND ETC. – but holy hell, it's so good! I can feel my inner cynic trying to dissuade me, and there's a couple of things I could pick at if I had to, but there's just so much to like! At its worst, it's usually pretty funny; at its best, it's a fucking riot. And best of all: no laugh track!

Yeah I like Modern Family too. It really is just a generic sitcom, but the lack of laugh track and the commitment to the jokes really sells it to me. It seems much more willing to just let its humour stand on its own than most of its contemporaries.

Definitely not something I'd ever shout at someone for not watching, and it's not really going to "enrich" you in any way, but it's half an hour during which you'll just be entertained and amused.

Don't know if it's been mentioned on here yet, but This Is England is amazing. I've been watching through it all, just about to start on the latest episodes. Totes worth checking out, genuinely some of the most amazingly real characters I've ever seen.

Also Dead Man's Shoes by the same director is great.

Just come back from watching The Artist.

The bit where

you could hear the sound of the world, in George's nightmare,

I thought was particularly fantastic, as was the very end.

It's a great sitcom. Not very deep, but a great sitcom. Highly recommended. Watch the pilot, if you don't like it, move along (it hits the ground running, unlike Arrested Development, etc.).

Weirdly enough I caught the odd episode on Sky and didn't enjoy it however they recently put the first series on Virgin on Demand and was hooked right from the pilot.

I've finally finished Friday Night Lights and there's now a football shaped hole in my life :(

Time to finish the League and move on...

Given the introduction of Netflix to the Uk, I can seriously see myself cancelling both Lovefilm and Virgin TV soon.

I saw Almodóvar's La piel que habito (The Skin I Live In) two weeks back. A really good, weird and disturbing movie. It made me think of Cronenberg but Iberian.

Now whenever I run around* in long johns and henley shirts I think of myself as Vera - only less graceful.

:getmecoat

I want to emphasize: I ONLY DO THIS AT HOME!

I want to emphasize: I ONLY DO THIS AT HOME!

Why? If you're good at it, you may as well share your talents with the world.

Love that clip. I even just watch it out of the blue and orange every so often.

BECAUSE I COULD.

I really must watch The Room once I'm recovered. They play it at the Prince Charles :buyme: regularly.

Most of the screenings have sold out, but Tommy Wiseau is doing pre-show appearances at the PCC over the next few days. I don't think I'll do that (it seems to be a bad way to first experience it), but perhaps someone here might enjoy it. I think I'll wait for a non-Wiseau screening.

So, that show Alcatraz, huh? I watched the first episode and then deleted the rest since it was the dumbest shit.

Stuff I watched recently:

- In time. AVOID AT ALL COST. What was an interesting premise got turned into a giant turd of a script with crappy acting. :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: out of :frusty:

- The new season of justified. Entertaining show about cops int he sticks with decent acting. :tup: out of 10 cows.

- Southland. A show about the police in south LA. Makes you think LA is this > < close to total anarchy but nice to still those 'The Wire' withdrawal feelings. :tup::tup: out of Donkey.

- The new girl. A comedy with zooey deschanel. Pretty entertaining story about Zooey living with 3 dudes in a fancy apartment. :tup: out of 2 boobs.

- Southland. A show about the police in south LA. Makes you think LA is this > < close to total anarchy but nice to still those 'The Wire' withdrawal feelings. :tup::tup: out of Donkey.

Seconded. I've been keeping up with Southland more or less since it began and I still look forward to each episode.

It's certainly not the Wire and doesn't try to be, but each episode is a bit of self-contained excellence.

Yeh. In time. Just watched it on flight back. It sucked really really badly. I even felt that it had wasted 2 hours of my life on a plane journey!

In :tup: news: I re-watched Hot Fuzz. That is a damn fine film. Like Shaun of the Dead, the script is extremely well-written.

I also showed Psycho to a couple of friends who are normally averse to black and white films. These two friends are also the perfect audience, gasping in all the right places and going "Ah" and "Oh" when the movie wants them to. They didn't see

the shower scene coming

and freaked-out at

the bit where the private investigator enters the house, looking for mother

. It was loads of fun all around.

I bought The Fades (BBC) over the weekend and watched the first episode. I like it, but it's a tad bit cliched so far. We'll see how it goes. It definitely has potential, but there's a few clunkers. Weirdly-cheesy and lazy exposition, for instance.

It does that really stupid thing that horror films or shows are so fond of, though: a monster running across the camera for no reason other than to make the main character turn around a bit and feel nervous.

On the other hand, it's properly spooky and the characters seem well-rounded. The acting is mostly good and there's little moments of brilliance throughout. I suggest checking it out.

In :tdown: news:

I can not find season two of Community anywhere. Ugh. I caught an episode on TV, though, and it's crazy good.

I won't pirate, since that means I morally have to buy the DVDs on full price, so I'm crying or something. (I only pirate when I have already bought and am waiting for my crap to arrive during the ocean voyage.) I'm a big fan of the show now. I still find the first episode somewhat painful to watch, and there was one that was rather sub-par, but mostly it has been great.

The Fades is entertaining but definitely falls into a lot of common horror/fantasy tropes. Thankfully it's a fairly short series so it doesn't quite get tiresome on that front.