ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I'm now hooked on Community, and I haven't even finished the first season :tup:

Is this about the flower contest? I don't know which episode is what anymore.

It's the one, surely THE one, where

Mary loses her virginity only for her suave beau to drop dead mid-coitus. If that wasn't

absurd

enough (and don't forget: She's already living an

insane

ly unusual life -- being the rightful heir to a fortune that she's having to give to a cousin she's never met before because of draconian laws) she then has to enlist her mother and one of the maids to move the body in secret.

It's like a cross between, Sibling Rivalry, Weekend at Bernies, and Murder by Death. It's just so

unbelievable

that I really can't believe they want me to buy it.

Well, I can't believe

it's not butter.

You miiiiiight have a point that the series is going for a certain sense of realism which it then betrays by pulling that stuff, but this kind of show will always have a condensed sense of adventure. Look at it more like the adventures of many different families wrapped into one, with all the drama that ensues.

Well, I can't believe

it's not butter.

You miiiiiight have a point that the series is going for a certain sense of realism which it then betrays by pulling that stuff, but this kind of show will always have a condensed sense of adventure. Look at it more like the adventures of many different families wrapped into one, with all the drama that ensues.

It's too much for me. It's turned into a completely different type of show. Its exploration of the real issues found in that environment are what made it interesting. The footman with a limp, and the bitterness it would spark. The battles for respect from "them upstairs" and how poorly those in service could be treated on a day to day basis. The influence and responsibilities that such households would have in the communities where they resided. The dying of the old type of aristocracy and the birth of a new one.

That was all interesting enough without having to resort to stuff like that. I still can't believe it. It's like the show is suddenly taking place on another planet.

You know, even though I like the show for what it is, I totally understand where you're coming from.

Stay away from season two though, where it'll be revealed that it was Thomas who shot Franz Ferdinand, and then they all take a hot air balloon ride around the world. It gets pretty crazy.

You know, even though I like the show for what it is, I totally understand where you're coming from.

Stay away from season two though, where it'll be revealed that it was Thomas who shot Franz Ferdinand, and then they all take a hot air balloon ride around the world. It gets pretty crazy.

Oh, man! :(

I just don't understand why they'd introduce a plot that could have been lifted from an episode of Dallas... Why set a show in that particular time, with all those period details, to do something that could be done in any soap opera. *sigh*

Oh, well. Downton Abbey, I barely knew thee.

For Dutch people, that episode had a special, unintentionally hilarious double meaning. The Turkish ambassador's name is Pamuk, which is also the name of a classic character by Dutch comedian Kees van Kooten.

Mehmet Pamuk is a Turkish immigrant who in his sketches always meets with well-meaning people who treat him like an ignorant illiterate, like the grocer in the picture (played by Wim de Bie). The painful scenes where folks clumsily stoop to a level far beneath Mr. Pamuk inevitably leads him to a state of bewilderment about the Dutch people.

Pamuk.jpg

So you see why the inclusion of a Turkish ambassador named Pamuk caused a ripple of laughter in our living room :tup:

Has anyone seen Chronicle? The trailers look really gash, one of the ones they're showing on TV has an irrelevant Jesse J song played over it. So I googled it just because I wanted to know why it was so terrible, but there seem to be lots of good reviews of it. I don't usually look at film reviews so I don't know if it is normal for shit movies to have good reviews or something. I'm really curious. It looks really bad.

Has anyone seen Chronicle? The trailers look really gash, one of the ones they're showing on TV has an irrelevant Jesse J song played over it. So I googled it just because I wanted to know why it was so terrible, but there seem to be lots of good reviews of it. I don't usually look at film reviews so I don't know if it is normal for shit movies to have good reviews or something. I'm really curious. It looks really bad.

It looks like The Craft with boys and superpowers. I reckon the first half will be fun then it will fall apart.

I'm so confused. I saw Prince Humperdink on Deep Space Nine. What is going ooooooooonnnnn.

I've been rewatching Stargate SG-1 with my roommate recently. A little over halfway through the first season now.

Man I love Stargate. So cheesy. So fun.

It's kind of a bit jarring, though, how much less... competent everyone is, compared to later seasons (and the other two series). Like, they have no idea what's going on anywhere. Now: "The fuck is this nanotech bullshit, yo." Later: "I'll just reprogram it to do what we want. Yay."

The final episode of Community season one was disappointing: the show forgot to have fun and started taking what it occasionally parodies seriously. The first season is still great great comedy, however, and I highly recommend it. I hear season two is even better, so I'm renting that today and making a small event out of it. Woo!

I was watching Moneyball and then Bobby Kotick came on-screen on started talking with Brad Pitt. :blink:

It hasn't come back since. ;(

Oh Rodi, when will we meet? I want you to run your fingers through my hair and tell me I-- Nevermind, it's back.

Which one?

Rum Diary

It's a nice movie, the story is a bit weird. It's more a presentation of gonzo journalism than that there's a real story to follow. It's based on the book of Hunter S. Thompson, the same guy that wrote Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Which I didn't know until after I looked up the movie and its origin. But at some point during the movie I was expecting Depp to say "we can't stop here, this is bat country".

And yes, everybody is very orange and the world is mostly teal. It's horrible.

I'm going to kill you dead if you keep complaining about that shit.

Looking forward to Ryan Reynolds VS Denzel Washington.

The Rum Diary was also adapted by Bruce Robinson. You couldn't prevent me from seeing it if you tried.

Which sucks, because every single movie I wanted to see this year has not arrived to theatres here. :tdown:

Edited by Kroms

I'm going to kill you dead if you keep complaining about that shit.

I concur. The idea that Bruce Robinson is somehow a cheap hack is utterly absurd. The guy made one film in "Hollywood" and hated the system so much that he quit outright. The only reason he made The Rum Diary is because Johnny Depp begged him to, and promised total creative control. The implication that the guy behind "Withnail and I" then decided take the cheap, lazy, popular route doesn't hold an ounce of water, and is yet another nail in the coffin for "Orange and Teal = Lazy filmmaking".

Also, a little more information; The Rum Diary is an autobiographical piece about Thompson, showing him finding his own creative voice.

Fuck that shit, RUm Dairy is just Fear & loahting but a sequel because holywood isn't creative!