ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

So they're negating AvP's Charles Bishop Weyland character. Good.

And is it just me, or is Guy Pearce channelling John Hurt, there?

I saw A Dangerous Method last night, it was excellent. Brilliant turns by the three leads.

Edited by Ben X

And is it just me, or is Guy Pearce channelling John Hurt, there?

I saw A Dangerous Method last night, it was excellent. Brilliant turns by the three leads.

I hope so.

Re: ADM. I did enjoy it, but I thought it was a bit bland. Good performances, to be sure. Maybe I was too hard on it.

It was quite restrained, but I thought that matched Jung's rigid outlook and methods quite well. I'm not sure I could call it bland with all the sexual fetishes flowing.

It did drag a little in the last 15 minutes or so, though.

It was quite restrained, but I thought that matched Jung's rigid outlook and methods quite well. I'm not sure I could call it bland with all the sexual fetishes flowing.

It did drag a little in the last 15 minutes or so, though.

I did enjoy it. Maybe bland was the wrong word. Interesting to hear that it's apparently very factually accurate.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. I'm really hoping it's an indicator of the tone of the film.

Incidentally, I'd say 2023 is way too soon for the kind of world they're depicting, but that might be more a matter of earlier fiction painting them into a corner. I guess you can explain it all with divergent universes or something, anyway, and ultimately it doesn't matter a great deal.

I always kind of assumed AvP was non-canon, in as much as canon means anything anyway. Perhaps that was more just internal editing to suit my own preferences, though.

EDIT: Looking more closely at the TED Blog page for the video (I'd previously seen it elsewhere), the biography for Weyland states he was born "at the turn of the Millennium". Either they're being very loose with that phrase, or Weyland is in his twenties. That doesn't seem appropriate for the character or the actor. Weird.

The Weyland Industries webpage is saying about it being 50 years anniversary since that event, so the movie will take place in 2073 from the looks of it.

I've been watching lot of Japanese movies recently, and some other movies that I haven't seen in ages.

During this weekend we watched Fortress and Fortress 2 starring Christopher Lambert. The first one was just as good as I remembered it to be and the sequel was as bad as I remembered it to be. Straight to video style cash in.

Recently we also watched Kamui Gaiden which was a pretty weird movie full of interestingly cheap CGI work. Movie is based on a manga comic. Earlier we watched the whole trilogy of Death Note which consists of Death Note, Death Note: The Last Name and Death Note: L - Change the World. These are also based on a famous manga.

Also recently we did watch Norwegian Wood which was clearly channeling Tale of Genji in a way to me. Can't really say exactly how, but that's the feeling I got from the movie. A few years ago we saw Detroit Metal City which is one of the best metal related movies I've ever seen.

The connecting part with all these movies is Ken'ichi Matsuyama. We have been watching a lot of his works in the recent weeks. He is also starring in the latest NHK taiga drama Taira no Kiyomori, but that's only being watched by my wife as I have trouble with the language without subs... :getmecoat

Cool cool. Man, just recently the subtitles were released for Ryoumaden 42. This is going so slowly. I want to finish watching it!

Yes, we've noticed. Today we actually started watching "the last season" of Ryomaden and are now done until 40th episode.

We will finish the show before the annual Japan trip in May. One of our goals this year is to go adventuring to the area that used to be called Tosa. :)

Really cool! Good luck! :tup:

I just watched The Grey and it was surprisingly fine! It features one of the most hair-raising

airplane crashes

I've ever seen. What poor luck that I was seated in one of the worst audiences in recent memory. The room was filled with elderly people who apparently have no cinema etiquette whatsoever. I had to shush them twice because they kept commenting on the film, mumbling, not taking it seriously, coming in twenty minutes late and then uttering in a bemused fashion: ,,Oh, it already started."

I watched the Super Delicious Awesome Marigold Hotel (or whatever it's called) and I have to say: :tup: The trailer looked AWFUL, but it's actually a decent, heart-warming film.

If you've read A Clash of Kings and at least half of A Storm of Swords (since they're bringing-in

Jeyne Westerling

from that book), this season two trailer is hot.

Still no sign of

Reek, Jojen or Meera

, but some of the confirmed characters haven't shown-up in trailers either. I really hope they bring-in the first one, though. The book and a certain future relationship would not be as horrifying without him.

I watched the Super Delicious Awesome Marigold Hotel (or whatever it's called) and I have to say: :tup: The trailer looked AWFUL, but it's actually a decent, heart-warming film.

I actually really enjoyed the trailer. A bunch of actors I really like apparently having an amazing time. Good to hear the movie itself is enjoyable too!

If you've read A Clash of Kings and at least half of A Storm of Swords (since they're bringing-in

Jeyne Westerling

from that book), this season two trailer is hot.

Still no sign of

Reek, Jojen or Meera

, but some of the confirmed characters haven't shown-up in trailers either. I really hope they bring-in the first one, though. The book and a certain future relationship would not be as horrifying without him.

Nnnnnng. And so forth. Man, give, now, want.

One? I don't remember any gestalt entities in the UK version...

There's a very good Joan Cusack? I didn't know there were two.

I believe he's going for the expression of a person as a set state at a given time while performing a given role, particularly when it is going to be recorded. Recorded media is mostly set in stone after all. You may hear someone refer to "a Brad Pitt in his prime" in a film, or "a more adult and nuanced Adam Sandler than we're used to" for example.

Except you wouldn't hear that last one because I don't think he has any of those roles. Maybe in Funny People?

And what about the bit where he said that William H. Macy as a deadbeat drunk dad and a very good Joan Cusack as an agoraphobic neighbor are one character?

I believe he's going for the expression of a person as a set state at a given time while performing a given role, particularly when it is going to be recorded. Recorded media is mostly set in stone after all. You may hear someone refer to "a Brad Pitt in his prime" in a film, or "a more adult and nuanced Adam Sandler than we're used to" for example.

Except you wouldn't hear that last one because I don't think he has any of those roles. Maybe in Funny People?

Punch Drunk Love.

One? I don't remember any gestalt entities in the UK version...

I'm terribly sorry for that grammatical error, sir. That sentence should have read "They are a few of the many characters that make up the Gallager family". Perhaps "They are two of the many characters that make up the Gallager family" could have worked as well.

As Miffy said: he was great in Punch Drunk Love. Which is also a great movie or film.