ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I've never expected more out of Del Toro, in fact I expect less, Pan's Labyrinth seems a nigh fluke considering much of his other films. Still, glad to see it's exactly what I was hoping for. Independence Day except in giant anime robot form, though perhaps not with Jeff Goldblum and Bill Paxton.

In a way I agree that Del Toro makes way too many "popcorn flicks" (as he puts it) and is not really balancing it well with the more personal movies, but I don't think Pan's Labyrinth is a fluke in any way. The only movie I can say of his I truly find bad is Cronos, but that seems to be a movie everyone likes and now has a Criterion collection release, so go figure. Devil's Backbone is brilliant though, it shares very much in tone with Pan's Labyrinth but a much more harsh flavor, I do hope you've watched that one. Blade 2 is dumb fun along with Mimic, but I like them both on some level, Mimic much more as it's a more subdued movie.

I'm biased as a Hellboy fan already, but I think he brought a lot to the Hellboy movies. The first movie stinks of studio interference (especially the addition of young man rookie kid, why the fuck?), but the second it very true to the comic as well as Del Toro's style and is something I can watch over and over. The imagination and pacing in Hellboy II are just perfect.

I think you're underselling Del Toro a bit. If nothing else, both of the Hellboy movies show a lot of self-awareness and self-parody in what was at the time (and still is, really) a po-faced sub-genre. I guess I expected the same with Pacific Rim, but it was really just a very earnest love letter to Godzilla movies and mecha, with not much else to say.

Yeah, i'm not really understanding the Del Toro hate, i think he's a pretty tremendous director.

It's worth pointing out that I just re watched Undeclared a week or so ago so when watching Pacific Rim I was unable to accept that the main guy (I don't even remember what his name was in the movie) wasn't Loyd.

Ahahaha. Me too. Decided to watch it after seeing This Is The End. I like that the cast of Undeclared is having a good summer of flicks.

Would there be room for something like The Mighty Boosh (S1) and Snuff Box for people of a Spaced persuasion?

Haven't seen (and hadn't even heard of) Snuff Box. The Mighty Boosh is quite different to Spaced and the quality is massively variable but there's a good chance you'll like it! Possibly not as easy to watch a few of in a row as the other stuff.

Rewatched Mimic because of this thread and I've had the blu-ray sitting around for a couple of years and I've got to say that was a pretty great experience. I don't remember it being so good, but what I saw before was the theatrical cut so I'm not completely sure what was fixed for pacing and what scenes were taken out or reentered besides the can't-get-pregnant subplot. Will have to watch the commentary to find out more.

If you watch The Mighty Boosh, whatever you watch, watch the episode The Priest And The Beast from season 2.

If you watch The Mighty Boosh, whatever you watch, watch the episode The Priest And The Beast from season 2.

Which is the

coconut

one? I've heard that's amazing, though I didn't get to it myself.

Don't know it by name, but really, there are 18 episodes in total, so it's not hard either scanning them or watching them all.

The priest and the beast is the one with the 2 musicians looking for a new sound, it's easily my favorite.

I'm like 6 episodes into Orange is the new Black. So far my thoughts are it alternates between good and bad a lot and I don't like the main character. On the other hand I love the guy with the mustache.

Comedy's don't get more overrated than The Mighty Boosh. Being zany and 'cute' isn't a sufficient substitute for quality.

I'm like 6 episodes into Orange is the new Black. So far my thoughts are it alternates between good and bad a lot and I don't like the main character. On the other hand I love the guy with the mustache.

How is Lauren Lapkus in this? I'm a big fan of her work.

I'm the same distance in and I think it's all great. Genuinely really enjoying the chances I get to watch it!

How is Lauren Lapkus in this? I'm a big fan of her work.

She's only been in one episode so far, she was just introduced, so I can't really tell.

And when I said it goes from  good to bad a lot I meant really good, but I find it inconsistent.  I'm still really enjoying it and have watched 8 hour long episodes of it in two days, so that says something.

Edit:  Also I really like Mighty Boosh, but mostly the first season.  After that it went downhill for me.

As far as British comedies go, it doesn't get much better than Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. 

I found that difficult at first, because I sometimes find the "Heeeey, we're doing bad acting *wink*" trope unpalatable, but Skipper The Eye Child won me over to it forever.

tumblr_m37aotcum51r9prsfo1_500.png

It parodies such a specific area of television, that the acting just has to be bad. Also, the dialogue is wonderfully terrible, in that it tries to be super wordy and edgy but comes out incomprehensible. 

I just watched Lethal Weapon 2...

Oh My Fucking God! This is the most cheesily, obviously exploitative movie in ever. It's... it's just... the mind boggles at what this movie wont do for the most cliche ridden, nonsensical, exploitative bullshit. There's no stops pulled, there's no stone left unturned, no idiocy it won't go to, no moronic one liner it doesn't pull. I wish any of what I just said were the slightest bit, even the merest iota of hyperbole; but it isn't. By the end I was just laughing at the how utterly set up the entire thing is, how trope ridden it can get, and yet the movie just doesn't give a shit, it grins and keeps on going. I don't even know what to give it, just... wow. I feel it worth it just for the experience alone, just to say I saw it.

I've been watching and enjoying Orange is the new Black on Netflix. The show falls into the occasional gratuitousness of lesbian sex and such, but all in all I find it very well written, and the characters are all engaging so far. They're usually based on a female prisoner archetype, but stirred up just enough to be interesting. The show almost doesn't pass the reverse Bechdel test, which is kinda fascinating.

Also, do you want to see Captain Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager as a Russian prison matriarch? (The answer is yes)

250px-Janeway_Season7.jpg  999348_147832308746880_1538213983_n.jpg

So I'm rewatching Terminator 2 and man, Sarah Connor's narration is terrible. I think that this is what Metroid: Other M was drawing inspiration from.

Holy shit, I did not realize Red was played by Captain Janeway!!

Finished Orange is the new Black yesterday. It's pretty damn great. It gets a bit too cute at a couple of places, but it's worth it for when it reaches the sweetest or most dramatic moments. And man, that ending. Too long to wait for the second season..

Doctor Who: Being a fan of Steven Moffat, and hearing that his Doctor Who episodes are worth watching, I started watching the show (starting at the recent modern version.) After a season (or series,) I found out I wouldn't be able to watch this thing through – it was never really interesting, and seemed more like a children's show at times. So anyway, I found this handy guide that lets me skip and hop through the episodes, picking out the gems as I go. I'm about to watch «Blink,» which I figure is the most beloved episode of them all.

That guide is spot on, Toblix, although I disagree on Vincent and the Lodger (perhaps he got his colours mixed up?).