ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

God, so yes. I... it just, reminds me of why I'm amazed humanity as a species has survived to do so much. "It's Batman, and that on director guy I like because he explains slightly complex plots in a way I can understand. Therefore it's a good movie and I don't actually have to pay attention while 'watching' it to know it's good!" I remember walking out of the theater amused at the sheer feats of cognitive dissonance in the rest of the audience. The best thing most people had to say about it was "Dude, I totally wasn't bored!" "I know right?" (Yes, this is a paraphrased, but pretty literal conversation I overheard, among others).

Regardless, just saw This is the End, which had some amusing demon dick jokes but really should have been Michael Cera being an ass the entire time. Cera's 4 minutes of screentime was as funny as the rest of the cast in the rest of the movie combined. Which isn't to say that the rest of the movie didn't make me laugh at times, but that Cera was just fucking hilarious in riffing off the opposite of his own "quiet, unassuming nice guy" routine.

Also saw World War Z. Which was mostly a bunch of big budget zombie apocalypse scenes. And while first opening sequence might have been a great movie, after it the entire thing kind of forgets that it's supposed to have a plot and is just several "oh shit zombies!" scenarios strung together. In the end ( "spoiler" with nothing to spoil really but whatever) Brad Pitt realizes the zombies don't go after people with some sort of terminal disease, proves it, and... then the movie just ends basically, as if someone realized that two hours of special effects and running around with zombies was long enough, so it's now time to wrap things up.

I sort of enjoyed both, but then again I absolutely adore movies in general.

Not that I'm going to see WWZ ever, but you should maybe spoiler tag that ending stuff for the few in here that might actually care.

Not that I'm going to see WWZ ever, but you should maybe spoiler tag that ending stuff for the few in here that might actually care.

The good guys win! Seriously, that's the spoiler. Beyond the opening there's no particular story to speak of. But, hey if people want that I put a thing in there.

Also, it's hard to imagine how utterly shite Foresters original cut must have been to have this be the result of 8 weeks of re-shoots. For those that don't know, World War Z was supposed to have been released a while ago; and as another note it almost utterly impossible to get shut out or "fired" in Hollywood. Like, you can walk down the street naked and doing cocaine and no one bats a fucking eye. Hell Hollywood gave Shamylan another job after the Airbender movie (a top 10 worst movies of all time kind of flick).

But never the less Marc Forester, the guy that made possibly the worst Bond movie ever in Quantum of Solace, was given World War Z. And then after the entire movie was shot, was basically fired, or rather removed from all editorial control and replaced as director, for an entire 8 weeks of reshoots, almost enough to do an entire other blockbuster movie. I'm supposing the opening and any actual semblance of a plot came from those reshoots, and considering the opening was breathtaking rather wished that guy had done all the movie to begin with.

So this looks god damn amazing:

[Lego movie trailer]

It doesn't seem super-funny to me, but the quality of animation and attention to detail is astonishing.

It has Chris Pratt in it and he is a very funny man so I am hoping that some of that will come through.

But yeah, I'm expecting it to be a sausage fest.

Look how fucking easy it is:

The good guys win!

God damn it I accidently clicked on that. Now everything is ruined!

Look how fucking easy it is: 

Yeah, come on guy, spoiler tags for plot points is pretty standard. Plus in the zombie genre there's a much higher possibility of that not being the ending.

seriously, how long has it been since Entourage made celebrities portraying unflattering versions of themselves the norm in comedy? Nearly 10 years?) 

Plus Larry Sanders almost 20 years ago really kicked it off (Ricky Gervais is a massive Shandling fan and carried this trope over to Extras)

Plus Larry Sanders almost 20 years ago really kicked it off (Ricky Gervais is a massive Shandling fan and carried this trope over to Extras)

Well for sure, but I credit it's current omnipresence on TV and internet videos to the success of Entourage.

Yeah, come on guy, spoiler tags for plot points is pretty standard. Plus in the zombie genre there's a much higher possibility of that not being the ending.

It's a huge Hollywood blockbuster rated PG 13, I refuse to believe that anyone that didn't guess the ending is worthy of a spoiler tag! :fart:

So what you are saying is that you are simply too lazy to use spoiler tags?

Even though it will probably be terrible, I'm really looking forward to the first episode of «Under the Dome,» which I think aired tonight (American Night).

Will this tight rope walker please shut up about Jesus already :) lol

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/skywire-live-with-nik-wallenda/videos/nik-wallendas-first-steps-above-the-grand-canyon.htm

My girlfriend recorded the live event. WHY THE FUCK IS HE WEARING JEANS. We fast forwarded it.

Pre tight rope walk (with no safety harness) interview with his wife, she says "he loves his family, he loves his kids, he wouldn't do anything dangerous" ... What!?

who else actually saw Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs?

Yes! Fantastic film that doesn't seem to have gotten anywhere near the amount of attention it deserved.

Will this tight rope walker please shut up about Jesus already :) lol

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/skywire-live-with-nik-wallenda/videos/nik-wallendas-first-steps-above-the-grand-canyon.htm

My girlfriend recorded the live event. WHY THE FUCK IS HE WEARING JEANS. We fast forwarded it.

Pre tight rope walk (with no safety harness) interview with his wife, she says "he loves his family, he loves his kids, he wouldn't do anything dangerous" ... What!?

I saw talk of a drinking game involving taking a shot every time he said Jesus.  Pretty sure I'd be dead if I tried it.

A Serious Man is the best Coen Brothers film, right? That Kafka irrationality and despair is so beautifully depicted.

Ugh, so good.

A Serious Man is the best Coen Brothers film, right? That Kafka irrationality and despair is so beautifully depicted.

Ugh, so good.

I would say so. Burn After Reading is a really close second for me, but A Serious Man is so perfect, so Coen. I absolutely love it.

A Serious Man is good, but I'd say:

1. Miller's Crossing

2. Barton Fink

3. Fargo

Runner up: the "reasonable doubt" scene in The Man Who Wasn't There.

I recently watched "Rubber". That movie was... quite odd. But it was pretty well done, a lot better than I expected upon hearing what it was about. I found it funny and entertaining.

The Coen Brothers have this succinct split in their oeuvre, between early works (Fargo, Big Lebowski, etc) and their recent films (A Serious Man, BAR, True Grit, No Country For Old Men). I enjoy the latter much more. I think they're on the whole more evenly balanced films, without losing  that special something. It can be hard for me to watch something like Oh Brother, Where Art Thou, which is a rather opaque film. But A Serious Man or Burn After Reading I can watch again and again and never grow tired of.

I wanted to like Rubber, and found it really funny at first, but the fourth wall stuff felt a bit… student film trying really hard. I think I might just hate fourth wall breaking in general and judge it more harshly as a result. Even done well it leaves me kind of cold. 

Coen Brothers: Did anyone else read the script for To The White Sea? It is bleak.