ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

This week I watched both the theatrical and director's cut versions of the 1986 Little Shop of Horrors. It was fantastic, particularly the music and the Audrey II effects. Probably the most convincing movie creature I've ever seen.

I love Frank Oz's LSOH, and just missed out on seeing the director's cut at the cinema recently, which I was gutted by.

How does the 'new' ending work? Does all the footage integrate well?

Pixar-wise, I love Toy Story 1 and The Incredibles, and like Monsters Inc and WALL-E. The rest are all well-made and have their moments but aren't great imo.

Animated (American) movies I love that perhaps not everyone has seen are Emperor's New Groove (as mentioned already), The Iron Giant, A Goofy Movie, Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs and Ice Age. Seems I like screwball with a heart. Also the first two Wallace And Gromit shorts plus the movie are great fun.

Good Vibrations

"New York had the haircuts. London had the trousers. We had the reason."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DruhJkZU4EI

What a great fucking movie. There's no plot to speak of - but it doesn't matter. I challenge anyone - Punk, Square, Hippie, whatever - to go watch this and not leave with a huge fucking grin on their face.
Seriously, "Good Vibrations" is some of the best fun I had at the movies this year. You should watch it.

Pain and Gain: This might be the best movie Michael Bay has ever done. Probably because it's not really an action movie. Oh sure, there's like, a gun or two that goes off. But nothing SUPER over the top or drawn out or etc. It's based on a true story, and for the most part it kinda sticks to that. It's embellished, but mostly in the comedy factors. Not that it's a comedy, it's...

Imagine a classic crime drama, Breaking Bad or Goodfellas or whatever, except the main criminals are complete and utter idiots. And yet at the same you kind of feel bad for these idiots, you get where they're coming from and why they're doing what they do. It's easily Bay's best directed movie, :tup:

I just finished watching "Odd Thomas", based on the Dean Koontz novel of the same name.

I enjoyed it. It stayed pretty faithful to the book (from what I remember, its been a few years since I read the book). There were a couple of points in the movie that felt kind of dumb, but I remember them fitting in better in the book... I dont know if its just that they were actually different in the book, or I didn't care about that stuff as much when I was younger, but it felt like some parts were kind of stupid.

That said, my biggest disappointment with the movie was completely removing all mention of Ghost Elvis.

...also, having not heard about this movie's creation until earlier today, I was surprised to see some actors I recognized, notably Willem Defoe (sp?) as the Chief, and Patton Oswalt as Ozzie.

Pain and Gain was sooooooo looooong. I had a lot of fun with it but it seriously outstayed its welcome.

Iron man 3 was great, I loved the baddies. I think people just have to higher expectation going into these things. Although I will say parts of the final action spectacle were silly

Oh and we tried to watch pitch perfect but had to switch it off after 20mins. Seriously boring shit.

Watched Jack Reacher last night really good! :tup:

Smart man! I really should watch House of Cards, but I just picked Stargate back up again because I realized I had Amazon Prime! And I mean really is there any better television than STARGATE I ask you nonseriously.

Watched Jack Reacher last night really good! :tup:

Jack Reacher is surprisingly solid for the pulpy, serial fiction feel of it.

After long consideration I've come to the conclusion that O Brother Where Art Though is the Coen Brothers best movie. It's their best shot movie certainly, their best soundtrack, and while it might not be their funniest the charming characters, humor, story, editing, and everything overall make it an absolutely wonderful movie few people ever mention. Did I mention the soundtrack? By itself it's not something to amaze at like the Tron Legacy soundtrack, but when put together with the visuals and etc. of the movie

I think this may be the only movie I've ever seen to use diegetic music like this.

I love that movie. It's also the only Coen Brothers movie I've seen.

I love that movie. It's also the only Coen Brothers movie I've seen.

What? Are you sure? They've made a lot of movies.

I looked at the WIKIPEDIAS and recognized no other movies on that page. Well, except No Country for Old Men, which I am sure I haven't seen.

WAIT. Didn't see The Big Lebowski on the list before. Missed it somehow. Well, anyway, that movie's mediocre. But O Brother is great.

WAIT. Didn't see The Big Lebowski on the list before. Missed it somehow.

That movie really tied the list together.

Sorry. It's okay, but I don't see what makes it so fantastic. I mean I definitely enjoyed it. But... he drinks White Russians isn't that greatttt.

Sorry. It's okay, but I don't see what makes it so fantastic. I mean I definitely enjoyed it. But... he drinks White Russians isn't that greatttt.

It's a Raymond Chandler mystery, but with a stoned buffoon instead of a hyper-competent ex-cop as the protagonist. That's what makes it great, not White Russians and "the Dude abides" like a lot of fanboys out there think.

It's a Raymond Chandler mystery, but with a stoned buffoon instead of a hyper-competent ex-cop as the protagonist. That's what makes it great, not White Russians and "the Dude abides" like a lot of fanboys out there think.

I don't know that name, and even if I did, that didn't make it great for me! It was an entertaining movie and that's where it stopped. That's pretty much my definition of mediocre.

It is good because it has great dialogue, great characters, great music, and is a great riff on a great detective novel. It's OK if you don't like it, but in this case that may be more on you not understanding the source material than any defect in the movie. 

Although IMO neither O Brother nor Big Lebowski are even top 3 Coens. Top 3 would indisputably be Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, and A Serious Man. 

I don't know that name, and even if I did, that didn't make it great for me! It was an entertaining movie and that's where it stopped. That's pretty much my definition of mediocre.

Hey, you said you didn't know what made it fantastic for everyone, so I told you, but now you don't care. Cool? I thought you'd be interested in why other people like it, but I guess not.

Yes that's exactly what I said Gormongous I'm glad you are so good at interpreting text. Yeesh. Maybe I was accidentally too... aggressive? in that post, but I don't think anything in there says I don't care.

Dasein: I understand the "great detective novel" tropes pretty well, and I tend to like them. I also don't think there's anything wrong with the movie. I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about my own personal opinion, since I was stating my own personal opinion!!!

I figured you didn't care because I gave a straightforward answer about the movie's influences and references, and you just said, "Oh, I don't know who that is. The movie's still mediocre to me!" If you don't know anything about a movie and didn't much care for it, but don't show any interest in actually educating yourself about why other people do, then I don't think you have much to contribute to a conversation about that movie. I mean, I could derail a lot of conversations about Dota 2 that way, but don't.

But hey, maybe you just have a different way of caring, I don't know.