Sign in to follow this  
clyde

Mouse Wrist Pain

- stopped playing Diablo (or similar game)

- played with a controller for a bit

(sorry I don't have anything more serious)

I have never had serous wrist pain issues but I use a wrist pad to make mousing more comfortable https://www.amazon.com/Innovera-Mouse-Wrist-Rest-51432/dp/B0017D9AVY

I don't use one personally but i have heard that using a trackball mouse for part of the day can be useful since it varies your mousing motion so you aren't doing the same wrist motion all the time.

At work I solved my bad mouse wrist problems when I got a rollermouse. Doesn't work for gaming but saved my worklife since I have office job.

I had it for a while. I used a trackball and after I guess at least a year I could migrate back to regular mice. The pain disappeared. Trackballs are pretty rare now. I wouldn't trust one used with a thumb would work. I also built extra wrist support into mine. 

This might be a bit drastic, but you could try using your left hand at work? Took me some getting used to, but it's saved me using the mouse in the same hand all day.

14 hours ago, brkl said:

I had it for a while. I used a trackball and after I guess at least a year I could migrate back to regular mice. The pain disappeared. Trackballs are pretty rare now. I wouldn't trust one used with a thumb would work. I also built extra wrist support into mine. 

Logitech actually just started making a new trackball

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mx-ergo-wireless-trackball-mouse

This seems like it's against track from other suggestions, but possibly get a bigger mousepad and use the entirety of it. Turning mouse sensitivity down can also help. The goal with those actions is rather than relieving stress like a foam pad, it eliminates it by transferring the action of moving the mouse to a joint more suited to that motion like your elbow and shoulder. You can't flick the mouse around to cover the whole surface of a 16" mouse pad.

On 9/29/2017 at 9:49 AM, Cordeos said:

I have never had serous wrist pain issues but I use a wrist pad to make mousing more comfortable https://www.amazon.com/Innovera-Mouse-Wrist-Rest-51432/dp/B0017D9AVY

I don't use one personally but i have heard that using a trackball mouse for part of the day can be useful since it varies your mousing motion so you aren't doing the same wrist motion all the time.

I'm surprised to see this advice. From what I've read, putting any pressure on your carpal tunnel sounds like it's not a great idea, and my experience plays that out. Last time I tried using one it not only pressured my wrist but made it less mobile: I did a lot more wrist turning rather than using my forearm to move my mouse which absolutely killed my wrist.

But everyone's different, I guess just tread carefully and figure out what works for your specific case.

I second trackballs, specifcally finger ones rather than thumb ones. They're becoming more popular, but aside from the premium CST ones I don't have any specific recommendations.

2 hours ago, prawks said:

I'm surprised to see this advice. From what I've read, putting any pressure on your carpal tunnel sounds like it's not a great idea, and my experience plays that out. Last time I tried using one it not only pressured my wrist but made it less mobile: I did a lot more wrist turning rather than using my forearm to move my mouse which absolutely killed my wrist.

But everyone's different, I guess just tread carefully and figure out what works for your specific case.

I usually rest my arm on it, my wrist is above it, i use it mainly to help my wrist angle. I use one at home and at work and haven't had any issues.

I rest the ball of my palm on the cushion, when I use a mousepad with a cushion. 

I ended up getting a thumb trackball. It arrived yesterday and I've been trying to use it since then. I didn't think it was solving the problem because my wrist was still sore. I pulled out the mouse three matches into Overwatch (it's a difficult thing to accept the loss of half your dexterous capability in a game you play frequently). As soon as I started using the mouse my wrist-pain was apparent af. So I wound its cord around it and shelved it for a while. 

Eventually Competitive Play will match me with the other trackball players.

Yeah, I never actually played games with the trackball, except maybe Portal.

The only one I'll have to give up is Rainbow 6:Siege. The other FPSs I play are still fun if I can't shoot well.

Since I'm doing multiple things to take care of this, I'm not sure which things are helping more than others.

But I wanted to share this video because I've been casually doing these exercises and I think they are helping.

So between the excercises, the trackball, using a Xbox Controller more, and paying attention to which hand I use for opening doors; inflamation is much less of an issue. Still I'm interested in more solutions. 

Has anyone had experience with whether or not the Steam Controller agravates wrist-pain? I'm considering buying one for FPSs