Sign in to follow this  
Vader

The Next President

It all became surreal to me when President Trump began tweeting at 8pm in the WHITE HOUSE yesterday!! Like he was bored.

Normally he tends to tweet at 5am or something, but those series of tweet at night really made be depressed.

It's going to be a long 4 years.

I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for 8 years because what typically happens is the President running for reelection gets reelected. Ugh.

9 hours ago, sclpls said:

I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for 8 years because what typically happens is the President running for reelection gets reelected. Ugh.

Nothing about this election has been typical.

The republican party is basically sounding more and more like a terrorist organization to me

20 hours ago, Problem Machine said:

Well...

I hope not

For what it's worth, he's already at a 35% approval rating and now is when it's supposed to be the highest. There will always be some sort of floor that the approval rating cannot drop below, because of evangelicals and other crazy people, but this isn't a good sign for him.

Pfft, I listened to you lot when you said he wasn't going to get elected the first time.

Authoritarians have a tendency to gain support as their reigns continue. We shouldn't count on it dropping.

True but that seems kind of hard when they're so hated that they inspire the world's biggest protest. I think we'll be ok if we just keep vigilant by protesting, supporting local democratic clubs, and constantly calling local reps into voting against Trump.

The good news is that a lot of these executive actions are probably unenforceable (that's what you get when you have media people like Bannon coming up with this stuff instead of lawyers drafting the language and having relevant federal administrations review the orders). The bad news is that it creates a lot of ambiguity in the government and that will make things more dysfunctional.

Can't help but wonder how those "anti-Hillary" (rolls eyes) people from that Idle Weekend episode thread a while back are feeling about now. Trump's been awful from both a domestic and global perspective so far. Ugh.

If my daily checkup on the front page of the WSJ and Fox News are any indication, they are blissfully ignorant, and it turns out they actually don't have any serious issues with government officials using private email servers to conduct government business. So glad we cleared that up on week one.

41 minutes ago, sclpls said:

The good news is that a lot of these executive actions are probably unenforceable (that's what you get when you have media people like Bannon coming up with this stuff instead of lawyers drafting the language and having relevant federal administrations review the orders). The bad news is that it creates a lot of ambiguity in the government and that will make things more dysfunctional.

An acquaintance who does immigration law in Minnesota posted on Facebook about how the vast majority of the administration's planned actions against sanctuary cities is extremely unconstitutional (withholding federal funds for unrelated transgressions of federal law) and will have no problem being struck down in court, but when the Trump administration is doing so many unconstitutional things it's hard to have the time, money, and manpower to challenge them all in a timely fashion. It's the Peter Thiel v. Gawker model of governance, in a way.

On 1/25/2017 at 2:53 PM, AllieTsundere said:

It all became surreal to me when President Trump began tweeting at 8pm in the WHITE HOUSE yesterday!! Like he was bored.

Normally he tends to tweet at 5am or something, but those series of tweet at night really made be depressed.

It's going to be a long 4 years.

I can't find the original article I read, sadly, but it's even worse because he has an old busted Galaxy S3 or something.

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/trump-android-phone-security-threat/

Yeah Gormongous, that's the scary part. They're just rolling the dice and most of the stuff will get shut down, but probably some stuff will go through because you know, the courts are known to make bad decisions from time to time.

2 hours ago, sclpls said:

If my daily checkup on the front page of the WSJ and Fox News are any indication, they are blissfully ignorant, and it turns out they actually don't have any serious issues with government officials using private email servers to conduct government business. So glad we cleared that up on week one.

Almost certainly, but I've never had the (dis)pleasure of interacting with the front page writers for WSJ or Fox News correspondents, whereas I spent a not insignificant amount of my own personal effort trying to etch out a single valid reason from these people for thinking Trump winning could possibly be anything but a complete and utter disaster. Now that we're witnessing disaster as it happens... Do they still really think "wait and see" is a valid response?

Bleh. Obviously, I shouldn't let a few internet trolls get to me.

3 hours ago, sclpls said:

Admit it you enjoy reading it, you neocon

7 hours ago, Twig said:

Can't help but wonder how those "anti-Hillary" (rolls eyes) people from that Idle Weekend episode thread a while back are feeling about now. Trump's been awful from both a domestic and global perspective so far. Ugh.

About how I expected!