dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

I have a slightly unusual quandary that I was hoping to get some advice on:

I'm getting married in a few weeks, and as part of the thing afterwards we've booked the mini cinema room in the hotel. My plan is to plug in my Switch to entertain the kids (and some of the adults) for a while after dinner.  

Can anyone think of some local multiplayer Switch games that would be suitable for this occasion? In terms of content they would need to be suitable for everyone (i.e. 5 to 60ish years old) and easy to pick up and play without much guidance.

I have an extra pair of joy-cons so up to four players is doable. Mario Kart 8 is the obvious candidate, and I already have that, but I haven't got much further. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be extremely grateful...

Congratulations!

Snipperclips and Overcooked are the most obvious ones that come to mind. The first to build relationships, the second to destroy them.

I've also had quite a bit of fun with the wife/kids with Death Squared.

One thing to bear in mind is that there's quite a few joycons out there with limited range so depending on the size of the screen you might have issues with how far people want to sit from it. Test this out in advance.

Congrats with the marrying business!

With a month extra I'd say Super Mario Party would be great, but that's out on October 5th. ARMS could be a good fit if you don't mind the teensy bit of cartoon violence. It might skew a bit younger, though.

All of the Jackbox games are on Switch, and I know at least some of them have a "no PG-13 prompts" checkbox. Definitely put them on the list if you will have internet access and everyone will have phones/tablets/whatever to play with.

I'm not sure Snipperclips would be the best option, because it's more of a fiddly slow-paced thing?

Thanks everyone for your very helpful comments! At some point this is going to be a thing I'm actually doing and enjoying instead of a thing I'm worried about organising, haha, oh god.

Think I'm gonna go for Overcooked and the Jackbox Party Pack. I wonder if anyone has any strong feelings about Overcooked vs Overcooked 2? It sounds like the sequel is perhaps more challenging so I might go for the first game...

14 hours ago, marginalgloss said:

Thanks everyone for your very helpful comments! At some point this is going to be a thing I'm actually doing and enjoying instead of a thing I'm worried about organising, haha, oh god.

Think I'm gonna go for Overcooked and the Jackbox Party Pack. I wonder if anyone has any strong feelings about Overcooked vs Overcooked 2? It sounds like the sequel is perhaps more challenging so I might go for the first game...

I know that this is not going to be a super popular opinion, but another great answer for entertaining people in a goofy, approachable way for a while is the oft decried 1-2-Switch. I have pulled that out at a bunch of gatherings with friends and families and it's been really fantastically fun. Here's a photo my Dad and my wife getting ready for a showdown (on my parent's homemade back patio tiki bar):

f6um3m1.jpg

we had more than a few hours of goofy laughter and fun. Overcooked and Jackbox are fine, but Jackbox requires a group of people who are all at around the same level of humor understanding, and Overcooked requires a bunch of people who want to work together and can communicate well. 1-2-Switch mostly just requires two people to play a simple game together, with people watching. 

I would love to try 1-2 Switch but the price is just so off-putting for a goofy party game.

Nintendo games don't get cheaper as they get older. They'll stay at the same price for years (and they keep selling for years, so)

4 hours ago, Merus said:

Nintendo games don't get cheaper as they get older. They'll stay at the same price for years (and they keep selling for years, so)

I love nintendo games, i get older, and they stay the saaaaaame price. alright, alright, alright

That was a swell Direct though! And indeed, the emotional rollercoaster that was the Animal Crossing Switch announcement hit me right where Nintendo planned it.

Also, Luigi's Mansion 3 and tons of nice third party games. I am damn curious how Civ6 will play on Switch!

Video in question:

Looking forward to playing Katamari Damacy for the first time.