dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

Fe is on the list, but my Switch list is sizeable so I'll wait for a deal.

8 hours ago, Henke said:

Eeeeeehhhhhhh, I say! Just a bunch of ports of games I've already played, plus a few new games that I don't wanna play. 

It wasn't until you said they were nearly all ports that I realised! You're not wrong, but it's still a strong line-up.

4 hours ago, marginalgloss said:

Iwas very excited to see the first Luigi's Manse coming out on 3DS. Dark Moon was fantastic; a rare example of a 3D-ish game that my girlfriend and I could get enthused about. AFAIK the first game isn't quite so well-regarded by comparison but I'm sure they'll have tidied it up a bit.

I remember them being received similarly. I'd say the original is a smaller, tighter game but I haven't played it for years. It suffered at the time from not being the proper Mario game everybody wanted but it's great in its own right. Now they've announced Smash, I guess they're saving Fire Emblem until E3 or later.

16 hours ago, jennegatron said:

TOKYO MIRAGE SESSIONS, NEVER FORGET

Noted :D

ALSO!! I can tick another game off my Switch wishlist with Undertale. Boom!

Also also: does anybody else think the Mario Tennis Aces logo looks awful? Specifically the Aces font. It looks like the Wii Sports type italicised. I suppose they want to convey that this is a quasi-sequel for people wanting to get their waggle on (as seen in the trailer.) The game looks fine as Mario Tennis games go, but man, that logo.

Edit. Eurgh:

Mario_Tennis_Aces_Logo.png

The best thing about the Smash Switch announcement is how many people I now know who are suddenly interested in owning a switch, or at least in hanging out with me to play mine.

It's gonna be a game I end up owning even though my personal interest is currently only moderate, because anyone who sees I own a Switch is likely going to ask if we can play Smash and I wanna be ready with an "of course".

I played around with Nintendo Labo today. It's a very cool concept and possibly mind-blowing, though I think that is much more true if you're no older than twelve. It's part building toy, part toy-toy, part programming tool and has a lot of functions and hooks. For Switch-owning families this might be the best thing this year. For adult gamers without kids, the novelty might wear off after two sessions.

Unless you love:

- Arts and crafts and creating hilarious elephant racers.

- Tamagotchi! There's a surprisingly awesome Tamagotchi game in the 'house' Toy-con.

- Noodling around on a piano. Seriously, the piano is awesome and has some surprising customizability.

The big robot backpack is super cool to wear and stomp around in, but the game isn't all that great and doesn't feel intuitive enough. If you have to go for one of the two packs, definitely get the 'mix' pack with the plethora of games.

I also work with ten year olds, so worst case scenario is that I bring it to work for a day near the summer vacation and the kids get a kick out of it.

7 hours ago, smoke said:

Think there will ever be a better Zelda game than BOTW? Had to imagine

My first thought is keep the wonderful landscapes but add bustling cities with Majoras Mask-style schedules for the inhabitants to make it feel more alive

It would be very interesting to have the 'next BotW' feature a more urban landscape. How would that affect the sense of discovery and being out in the wild? Will it possibly encroach on the feeling of Mario Odyssey's New Donk City?

Honestly, what I hope most of all is for the sequel to go off the beaten path and do something weird and funky. Like Majora was. They've nailed, absolutely nailed, the classic thing, and there's so much space they can still explore. Which they already mentioned themselves, by the way. So I would absolutely get my hopes up, just maybe not within the next two years.

I'm gonna buy a Nintendo Switch on payday which is in 14 days. Not that I'm counting. It'll mark my first ever Nintendo home console. I've had many a gameboy and I even bought a 3DS a couple of years ago. But I was a Playstation/Xbox kid through and through growing up. 

I've just been playing Hearthstone on my iPad a lot recently and I feel the cravings for something "gamier". I'm gonna pick up a first party game and an indie game maybe too. Mario is probably more my thing right off the bad, but maybe I'll pick up BoTW in a month or two. 

Have you guys got any recommendations for ridiculously good indie games I could get? If there multiplayer and I can play them with my girlfriend then even better.  

Snipperclips was an indie game that got snapped up by Nintendo as a first party exclusive. It's a multiplayer puzzle game that I highly recommend.

Overcooked is good for multiplayer. Single player, I've really enjoyed Golf Story and am liking Human Fall Flat. Tried getting into Stardew Valley, but there may just be too much for me there. With how many things they put in that game I find myself pulled in all directions at once and don't reach a satisfying point in any of them.

And yeah, Snipperclips is choice #1.

I got a Labo. Built half a piano tonight. I enjoy constructing things. Looking forward to playing with it later!

Oh, please do put your thoughts about Labo here, Miffy! Otherwise it's just my own super early impressions and I'd like to see multiple opinions here.

On 4/25/2018 at 12:40 PM, miffy495 said:

Overcooked is good for multiplayer. Single player, I've really enjoyed Golf Story and am liking Human Fall Flat. Tried getting into Stardew Valley, but there may just be too much for me there. With how many things they put in that game I find myself pulled in all directions at once and don't reach a satisfying point in any of them.

And yeah, Snipperclips is choice #1.

I got a Labo. Built half a piano tonight. I enjoy constructing things. Looking forward to playing with it later!

I sank many a day into Stardew Valley on the PC a while a go so I'm gonna avoid it so it doesn't happen again. I've also already played Overcooked. I think I'll give Human Fall Flat a try. What do you like about it? 

Human Fall Flat is a good time in singleplayer if you like physicsy platformers and puzzle solving. But where it really shines is in co-op. On Switch you'll probably want two controllers to play co-op tho. Apparently it's a bit too complex to be played comfortably with a single joycon. 

Gonna do some salesmanship for Golf Story, which I think is a kinda-average game that I happened to really love.

Golf Story pefectly fits a niche for the Switch that, now that I've finished the game, I'm clamoring to fill again: a light-hearted and low-stakes (yet engaging) game that's perfectly playable and enjoyable in time increments as small as 30 seconds. I suppose any turn-based (or not-real-time) RPG would fit that bill, mostly, except turn-based RPG combat systems are a hard sell for me and I'm easily bored by the ultra-high-stakes fantasy/sci-fi plots in those games. The writing in Golf Story is often entertaining, but the actual golf story is mercifully simplistic.

Anyway, the Switch (and handhelds in general) are where these sorts of games thrive. The ability to play a single hole of golf or chat up a few NPCs while, for example, I'm waiting for bread to toast, is invaluable.

I'm very excited for the Switch port of West of Loathing as I suspect it will be the ideal replacement game to fill this niche.

Addendum: If you ever played and enjoyed the Camelot Mario sports games for Game Boy, just get Golf Story already. IDK if those Camelot games hold up, but Golf Story is like your rose-tinted memory of them.

I also recently finished Golf Story. It's a good one! :tup:

As for on-the-go go-to time-waster mobile gaming, I also like to do some mobile golfing when I have a couple minutes to kill, tho my golfing is more of the DESERT variety. Desert Golfing, on Android, is what I'm saying, that I'm playing.

Heres a question people might not be able to answer but here it goes: I’m gonna buy a Nintendo Switch in Vietnam soon, but a colleague at work scared me a bit by saying that games here are region locked. That’s fine with me as I could sell it when I leave, but would there be any weird thing happening with languages in the games? Or should the language based on the language the console is in like the PS4. 

oh that's great news! Thanks for looking it up. I did give it a google, but I was pretty distracted at the time. 

9 days to go!!!

On 20.4.2018 at 11:57 PM, graddy said:

My first thought is keep the wonderful landscapes but add bustling cities with Majoras Mask-style schedules for the inhabitants to make it feel more alive

Great idea. I enjoyed meeting the locals in Majora's Mask. Made the game so much more personable. Like, we care about those NPCs a bit more now!

Breath of the Wild was such a curve ball that it almost seems pointless to speculate what the next one is going to be. I doubt they're going to go back to the traditional Zelda formula with a series of dungeons and whatnot, but I could see them trying to incorporate more traditional style dungeons into the open world. They could also essentially remake botw but with a different environment, and while that wouldn't be exciting it would probably sell well and be generally well regarded. Many people have also wondered if they'd go the Majora's Mask direction and take the same engine and possibly assets but take the story and mechanics is weird risky directions. People seem to generally agree that Nintendo is pushing a different direction than they were a few years ago, but it's not clear to me what exactly that means.

The girls have enjoyed the heck out of Labo. The fishing game is a bit too hard for them; the house minigame has been exhausted by now after several hours, and the racing is still in high demand.

I've not really had much of a chance to play with the games myself but putting the kits together as a family has been great fun.