Sign in to follow this  
Twig

The Great Debate: Legalization

Anyone who defines themself by one thing is going to be tedious in every other context. Pot, alcohol, Gaming, Larping, Music, whatever. I agree that pot culture is intolerably dull, but to me so is every other culture that is ALL ABOUT one thing. I know I'm posting this on a gaming forum, but I think that by now the IT group has proven itself a diverse enough group of people (and the discussions in Idle Banter about all sorts of everything reinforce that) that I don't think of this place as a "GAMER" place. We all play games, and that's why we're here in the first place, but we're all also rounded people. If I were surrounded by Capital-G Gamers, I'd want out just as quickly as if I were surrounded by a bunch of people who only wanted to talk about how great it is to get high.

Me too, but it's not the first thing I'd say if asked about myself.

What is the first thing you'd say?

What is the first thing you'd say?

I think probably "Starbucks barista"

Idle Thumbs listener

Just as a point of clarification, I think my definition of what constitutes a "stoner" is a bit different than most people here. To me, a stoner is pretty much anyone who smokes weed on a regular basis (usually daily). I have found that most people I know that fall into this category generally do see weed as a pretty important thing in their lives, especially considering they are willing to circumvent the law in order to consume it.

It is unfortunate to hear that a lot of you have had such a negative experience with stoners. The vast majority of stoners I know are nothing like the typical stereotypes that most people would expect to see (jobless hippies who go everywhere reeking of pot, preaching about conspiracy theories, and being condescending towards everyone because they became so enlightened after that one semester of college they attended before they dropped out (and yes, I have definitely known a few of these types and they are the worst)). Most of my stoner friends have been educated people, maintain a steady job, are interested in and compassionate about a wide variety of things, and are generally super secretive about the fact they smoke weed. In fact, I am willing to bet that most of you probably know a few people that secretly consume weed regularly in their free time (i.e. a stoner by my definition) and by all accounts, they are just regular ass people. Surprisingly, even in the field I am in, I have come to know several people that smoke regularly even though they are some of the most straight edged, professional people I know.

Glad to hear that even with the negative perception a lot of you might have surrounding stoners, most of you still support legalization (or at least decriminalization). Whether or not stoners are douchebags is really a moot point in this discussion and I'm glad we are reaching a point where even people who are endlessly annoyed by weed culture see how pointless it is for it to remain illegal.

This might be outside the scope of this particular thread but I couldn't help but notice most people here seem to have expressed that they have no desire to do weed at all and think it's gross. I'm curious if that sentiment also carries over to alcohol for those who feel that way? Basically, for people who don't like weed and have no interest in doing it, does that stem from a disdain for consuming any substance that alters your state of mind or does that simply stem from the fact that it is illegal and there is a stigma associated with it that has been drilled into us by a lifetime of anti-drug propaganda?

As a person who was probably considered a stoner at one point in his life, I agree that they actually tend to be good people. It's kind of interesting that the culture, for instance, tends to enforce the idea that sharing is good and being accommodating to other people is in everyone's best interest in the long run. Even dealers (at least with MJ, I imagine this would change with harder drugs) tend to be flexible, give samples, etc. Of course, there are exceptions to this stuff and I imagine that part of this is regional (or even suburban vs urban experience) but I really found stoners to be a pretty endearing part of the culture. That said, I don't really like the "culture" of the t-shirts, merchandise, and whatnot.

I suspect that some of the "gross" attachment is due to the fact that it's most regularly smoked, which isn't an altogether pleasant thing to be around in any case. I was never stoked to hang out with dudes who would smoke in their cars or do it so often that they smelled of it at all times.

I'd guess that most people who regard mood altering drugs as bad do so because society (at least American society) expects us to be in control of our bodies. If we're sick, we are conditioned to feel ashamed if we take more than a day off at work. Getting mental health counseling is similarly shameful, as we should have control of our minds.

I'd guess that most people who regard mood altering drugs as bad do so because society (at least American society) expects us to be in control of our bodies. If we're sick, we are conditioned to feel ashamed if we take more than a day off at work. Getting mental health counseling is similarly shameful, as we should have control of our minds.

And let's not forget the large percentage of people who are prescribed something or another that alters their mood in some way. I find it to be a strange dichotomy.

This might be outside the scope of this particular thread but I couldn't help but notice most people here seem to have expressed that they have no desire to do weed at all and think it's gross. I'm curious if that sentiment also carries over to alcohol for those who feel that way? Basically, for people who don't like weed and have no interest in doing it, does that stem from a disdain for consuming any substance that alters your state of mind or does that simply stem from the fact that it is illegal and there is a stigma associated with it that has been drilled into us by a lifetime of anti-drug propaganda?

For me it's basically all those things.  I was born in the early 80s so my childhood is a product of the late 80s/early 90s.  As such I was subjected to things like D.A.R.E., after school specials, the War on Drugs, etc.  I've grown beyond those things as I learned to think for myself but it's hard to shake them entirely.  I dislike the feeling of losing control and therefore am inherently opposed to anything that contributes to this.  And I really don't like the smell and taste.  I just think its gross.  The legality of it to me is an arbitrary thing so that doesn't really factor into me liking/disliking it beyond the concern that I could potentially get into legal trouble if I were somehow around it.  None of those things means that I dislike anyone who choses to use it though, as long as they don't try to pressure me to do it as well.

As for alcohol, I also dislike it but am able to tolerate it.  The only time I really drink is in social situations and even then its a fairly rare occurrence, pretty much only when it would be rude to say no (I have a couple stories I could share about that but they're not related to this thread).

As for alcohol, I also dislike it but am able to tolerate it.  The only time I really drink is in social situations and even then its a fairly rare occurrence, pretty much only when it would be rude to say no (I have a couple stories I could share about that but they're not related to this thread).

Dude, this is a thread about weed. If there is one thing I have learned about conversations surrounding weed, it is that all stories are relevant to that discussion. And yes, I know that that makes absolutely zero sense.

Would you be willing to partake in edibles, if weed were to become that widespread and completely legalized?

(My guess is no, since you specifically mention taste, and an edible is likely to alter your mood far more than a single drink would, at least as I understand it.)

Personally, I'd be all about partaking were it legal, but the illegality of it is enough of a blocker that I basically don't even consider it. I mean, even in California where it's super easy to get the medical license, I never bothered just because it was a hassle to go there and lie to the doctor who obviously didn't give a shit anyway.

If done well, you could cook with it and not taste all that much. You also barely taste it if you vape.

Well all right then. (I'd probably vape in this hypothetical world where it's legal for me to get weed where I currently live (haha I imagine Texas is going to be pretty near the end of the list of states that legalize weed, although I guess I've not done much research on it).)

"I'm curious if that sentiment also carries over to alcohol for those who feel that way?"

It does carry over to alcohol for me, I have been high a lot more than I have been drunk and I really dislike being around drunk people. That doesn't mean I'm against people who aren't idiots, my sister lives in Portland and is super into the craft brew scene there and I know a lot of people who just enjoy beer and I'm not against that at all, I just hate irresponsible rather than alcohol I guess. This past semester someone I knew from school got hit by a drunk driver and killed. He was working in a group with one of my best friends for their computer engineering senior project and was a really smart guy. It fucking sucks.

For clarification though I personally don't find weed gross or even bad. I am regularly around people who are smoking and one of the reasons why I don't do it is just that I have a hard time socializing with people high and find it more enjoyable to just hang out with people normally. I also don't have a problem with a lot of drugs, the ones I do are mostly opiates. A couple of friends that I've known since middle school had problems with heroin for a while and while they're clean now it's never not going to be a thing for them now. Also in 2010 someone that I used to be really good friends with died from an overdose of fentanyl and it was really shitty. I don't think anyone is arguing that those should be legal though.

Yeah I'm not all that into legalizing addictive and harmful drugs (but also there is a part of me that's like, well, some people want to and are aware, but... are they really, but isn't it their choice, etc.), but I'm definitely in support of HELPING those people rather than PUNISHING them like we do now. Bleh.

I am really put off by smoking, and the few times I've come in contact with marijuana smoke I did not enjoy the experience. I imagine I would have a similar feeling with consuming it some other way, and thus I am not interested. It's not worth it for me to find out one way or another.

With regards to alcohol, 1) ~Tradition!~, it's part of religion and thus "normal" and 2) my parents raised us in a way that alcohol was a food. It was normal, and not illicit. I could have had a glass of wine with dinner or a beer watching football if I'd wanted them in my teens, which I declined. I didn't drink in college basically right up until my 21st, and I certainly didn't binge. I don't drink to get drunk, and it's so frequent that I am driving that I can't even if I wanted to, which I don't. But, I like how alcohol tastes. I like the fun of tasting beers and wines and some spirits. Alcohol has been a food and an activity for me much more than merely a social lubricant, and it has definitely never just been a substance.

I'm a gamer.  :eyebrow:

I'm a Jennifer Garner.

Even though the typical stoners I encounter in life are obnoxious, I'd be more down for the drug if it made me productive. I've done a variety of drugs, but usually it's just caffeine or Adderall these days since they are much more low key. I don't know if there wasn't such a major stigma against cocaine and the fact that it could very easily kill you maybe I'd dip into that sometimes to get things done.

I guess in my teen years weed was way more desirable because there wasn't much to do on weekends, but then I had friends with ecstasy, LSD, mushrooms, and others so that all kind of eclipsed things... So I guess it became that "gateway drug" which was then rather boring and didn't make me or anything else anymore entertaining. It's like taking a sleeping pill.

Alcohol is a good drug for me now in social situations because I can be friendlier and I can pace myself easily.