undermind9

Where in the World - Idle Thumbs Map

Hey everyone, an interesting question was recently posted about forum members and their geographic dispersion around the world - Original post

It seemed like a fairly neat idea and the online spreadsheet/database software my company uses...for just about everything...has a very elegant solution

Heres how it works -

Fill out this web form with as much information as you'd like -

Web Form

After completing it'll automatically link you to a world map with pins for each entry that is submitted.  Primarily it works on postal codes, but as some parts of the world do not use them a City & Country should suffice.

And if you're only interested only in the map or want to check back in as populates further -

Idle Thumbs World Map

Please let me know if there are any comments, questions, or your entry is not showing up.  I look forward to seeing the far reach of the show and forum contributors

08/06/15 - I just realized i never published the actual spreadsheet driving this map.  With the way pins are doubled up on the map this will least be a searchable/filter-able way to find everyone near by or in a specific city.  It doesn't have any info that is not already on the map pins

Idle Thumbs Map Database

I entered the wrong zip code but whateverrrrr! We're a widespread (but still mostly American) bunch, eh. Though I know there are like ten people who live in SF (incl. the Thumbs themselves).

HA I BEAT TOBLIX

Also I used my hometown rather than Oslo where I live, because it looks cooler on the map and cements me as Northernmost Thumb.

I looked it up on wikipedia. Ireland is one of a very few countries not using post codes, and probs one of the only western nations not to so^^

There's talk of it coming in, but as someone who's only ever lived here I don't really get the point of them? Isn't it just awkward writing codes instead of locations?

... Ok maybe that's exactly what a phone number is and I'm used to those so never mind me.

We had this conversation with my friend's Singaporean wife at Christmas. I think our reason was that we are no longer in an era where the postman knows everyone on his route and so many people are renting, so things are a bit more complicated than they used to be!

Also, aren't we getting a post code for every bloody house here as well?

Also, i tell siri who to call and let her deal with the numbers!

Well yeah, but don't post codes handle the vague stuff like county for the most part? They still need to say the Street and house/apartment number as before.

I thought it was mostly for sorting purposes, that it was easier by code than words, for some reason.

Also I have no idea. I was thinking u already had one so I was fine, but then I remembered there were rumours they'd rehash the whole lot. Bah.

Ya, it seems a bit unnecessary, but maybe mail volumes are getting to a point where it is viable to switch to a more automated system (robot overlords).

I didn't put in my zip code because that's a little too close to my home for my enjoyment, but I am the only Milwaukee Thumb so far, as it usually is. Also I was sad I couldn't drop the pin on my favorite place - Discount Liquors.

Wouldn't you think it's going the other direction? There's less mail now than there was 10-20 years ago so it would be more viable to do it by hand than previous. But in higher density areas, postal codes make tons of sense to me logistically. There are dozens of zip codes for major cities, because putting "New York, New York" on an address only narrows down the delivery to literally tens of millions of options.

Well yeah but that's what Ireland has. In Dublin there's a million people so we have a series of postcodes for the regions around the city.

But in my home town of Kilkenny there's maybe tens of thousands of people, so I dunno why they'd need postcodes.

I didn't put in my zip code because that's a little too close to my home for my enjoyment, but I am the only Milwaukee Thumb so far, as it usually is. Also I was sad I couldn't drop the pin on my favorite place - Discount Liquors.

I put a zip from a previous address to ease my Internet Paranoia. Anyway, ATL #1 etc etc.

Well, in the UK the postcode is a max of 100 houses! My buddy gave me his once and google street view popped me right down outside his house.

In the UK, all that's needed to derive a full address is the house number and postcode (provided the building has a number and there isn't some unusual numbering, e.g. a number for the front door and then another number for the individual flat). They only cover a few residences.

Postal codes are good for both sorting and avoiding ambiguity - the longer the address is, the more chance there is for someone to get something wrong, or format it strangely, or show off their incomprehensible handwriting.

Besides that, and as an unintended side effect, other businesses can tap into postcode data for stuff like address completion in web forms, or easy close-enough address searches in sat navs and other electronic maps. They're all-around rather handy.

That said, despite their unambiguous nature I received two mis-delivered packages this Christmas season, each addressed to different nearby buildings with similar postcodes and the same flat number.

Also, areas are commonly grouped by the first portion of their postcode when a quick demarcation is required, as it's a pre-existing and exhaustive system. That's kind of a mixed bag, though, as the region boundaries are pretty arbitrary and were defined purely according to the Royal Mail's needs; they don't necessarily make much sense for other purposes, such as setting prices for things or whatever.

Anyway, I'm on the map.

On postal codes, could it also be an issue with trying to play nice with international shipping companies (both public and private)?  I don't ship to Ireland often, but I know I've had a few cases where I had problems getting an address to take in my shipping program because it's relatively non-standard compared to a lot of countries.

I'm also dumb and forgot to put my name in.  I didn't actually mean to be anonymous. 

I usually put NA or 90210 as my postcode if it is demanded...which is how i ended up in Beverly Hills!