Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 8: The Last Evening

Well the thing that occurred with me regarding Jacoby is that he would wear those ridiculous black and red glasses, and it fades into a roulette board which iconically is red and black.

Jacoby's glasses are actually red/blue, he wears them to make the world look 3-D, which is kinda funny because a) 3D glasses specifically require special anaglyphic film or images B) but are actually used in medical profession for actual vision problems with corresponding diagrams. The things I learn via Google. 

So in conversation it sounded like Jake was uncertain about how they ascertained Jacques Renault's identity. What happened was that when they encounter him in the end of the previous episode he is hilariously wearing a name tag.

walter-1.jpg

I have to say that I really dislike the scene where Andy finds out Lucy is pregnant. Like, she suddenly is willing to talk to him because he shot a guy? I know it is because the rest of the guys are talking him up as a hero, but I thought it felt messed up and not true to character.

I disagree with the assessment of the scene between Catherine and Pete as representing some real emotional breakthrough, or at least not for Catherine. She's just playing Pete. When they embrace Catherine looks like she is rolling her eyes.

My favorite part of this cast is when Chris pauses after uttering the phrase "far cry".

I believe that they had established that Jacques bartended at the roadhouse in previous episodes before he got wise to the heat being on him and escaped north of the border. Ed, at least, was familiar with him (and presumably the entire sherriff's dept was) and Ed makes a point of stepping away when Jacques comes on shift at the table because he would have recognized him despite the terrible disguise.

Spoiler-filled question regarding the identity of the person who shot Cooper:

Did we ever find out why Josie shot Cooper? There's Cooper's vision when she dies that implies she may have been under BOB's influence, but was there any other hint of a motive?

I have to say that I really dislike the scene where Andy finds out Lucy is pregnant. Like, she suddenly is willing to talk to him because he shot a guy? I know it is because the rest of the guys are talking him up as a hero, but I thought it felt messed up and not true to character.

My read on this was always that Lucy had concerns about Andy being a father, seeing as how he was the most bumbling and useless member of the force who has repeatedly flubbed his different duties up until now. Then he performs his job so well he potentially saves the sheriff's life with a quick draw and accurate shot. Aside from showing off his competence, this is a pretty significant development from his previous character and could show that he can rise to the challenge of bettering himself, which is obviously necessary if he is going to be a father.

When referencing the ABC News report, Chris mistakenly refers to The Fugitive as The Prisoner.  Now that's a show with an even more frustrating ending than the season finale of Twin Peaks!

disagree with the assessment of the scene between Catherine and Pete as representing some real emotional breakthrough, or at least not for Catherine. She's just playing Pete. When they embrace Catherine looks like she is rolling her eyes.

I read it as both, actually. I feel like the scene finally showed us some real emotions between the two, some sort of shadow of why they ever were together in the first place. And Catherine comes off as genuine, but is obviously also just trying to get Pete to help her and still finds Pete ridiculous, hence her eye-rolling at Pete's overwhelming emotions at the end.

I don't know, it just felt like.. obviously Catherine has ulterior motives ALL THE TIME, but she was also being genuine to a certain degree.

Yeah, as demonstrated in the mill she is a stoic person. She stands still and thinks in a burning mill so she can figure things out. Pete's display is presumably going to seem silly to someone who's that emotionally controlled.

Also, regarding the deer antlers, it certainly is a charmingly guile-less technique if presented sincerely. However, my referent for it is much worse than Blues Brothers:

2ch9uhe.png

There's a stuffed owl behind him.

Oh so he's

BOB!

I never paid that close attention to Lucy and Andy's interactions the first time around, and I didn't this time either. They're great characters but I never found their side plot very interesting. So I could be totally wrong. But my take on it is that she tells him not because he shot a guy, but more because he finally gets up the guts to take some initiative with her - first with the kiss and then finally confronting her directly about what's been bothering her - instead of bumbling and tip-toeing around her like he usually does. I think the prospect of parenthood freaks her out, and she passive-aggressively takes it out on Andy because she needs him to show some assertiveness, to reassure her about having a kid with him. 

I never paid that close attention to Lucy and Andy's interactions the first time around, and I didn't this time either. They're great characters but I never found their side plot very interesting. So I could be totally wrong. But my take on it is that she tells him not because he shot a guy, but more because he finally gets up the guts to take some initiative with her - first with the kiss and then finally confronting her directly about what's been bothering her - instead of bumbling and tip-toeing around her like he usually does. I think the prospect of parenthood freaks her out, and she passive-aggressively takes it out on Andy because she needs him to show some assertiveness, to reassure her about having a kid with him.

This is how I read it as well. Not that she's so impressed that he shot a guy, but more that the fallout of him shooting a guy prompts a gesture that prods them out of their funk.

This was a great episode of the cast for enthusiastic and insightful discussion of a thing you both really enjoy, and for Jake and Chris doing voices. I'm still laughing at the bits about Jacques. And now the cast is caught up with my initial binge, which ended here. Hooray!

This is how I read it as well. Not that she's so impressed that he shot a guy, but more that the fallout of him shooting a guy prompts a gesture that prods them out of their funk.

I understand that this is also sort of what is going on, but I feel like that still sort of amounts to the same thing. Like, this super macho action permits Andy to behave as the idealized partner in the relationship. Naturally, this idealized version of Andy is an illusion that falls apart as soon as he finds out about the pregnancy. Regardless of whatever Lucy is reacting to (the other men talking Andy up, or how he proceeds afterwards) it still ties masculinity to violence, as well as revulsion at pregnancy and engagement with feminine existence. As stereotypical as that is, there may be a certain amount of truth to it, especially in Twin Peaks' small town setting where traditional gender norms are going to exert a powerful influence on the behavior of the characters. But the way the show plays it up for comic effect makes the whole thing feel completely preposterous to me.

That scene reads more as Lucy reacting to Andy being in danger and that causing her to soften a tiny bit, not so much that she's impressed by him firing a gun. And Andy's response isn't revulsion to the pregnancy; he has classic deer-in-the-headlights face when he learns, holy shit, he's going to be a dad.

I'll concede that's also a valid interpretation of what's going on. And revulsion was the wrong word to use just because I was thinking of tropes we see in media at large, and its not an apt description for this scene, but I wouldn't say he reacts favorably to it. And that's the basic dynamic I see here. An act of violence pushes him up among his peer group, while the reveal of fatherhood brings him back down.

I agree that "buffoonish man dumbly stunned by pregnancy while annoyed woman looks on" is a reductive gender dynamic.

One minor character in this episode really stuck out for me. When Audrey is getting prepped to meet the owner of One-Eyed Jacks she's being tended to by a bizarre woman, hunched over. When she's finished, the woman scurries off into a hidden door.

Seemed to me like she was deliberately disguised, like she was a recognisable actress doing a weird cameo. Stuck in my head.

One minor character in this episode really stuck out for me. When Audrey is getting prepped to meet the owner of One-Eyed Jacks she's being tended to by a bizarre woman, hunched over. When she's finished, the woman scurries off into a hidden door.

Seemed to me like she was deliberately disguised, like she was a recognisable actress doing a weird cameo. Stuck in my head.

Mentioned this earlier in the thread, but fun fact worth repeating: it's Lesli Linka Glatter, who directed the episode with the Log Lady's cabin (other than Lynch, she is the series' most ubiquitous director). Apparently most of the people on set didn't know it was her until she announced it.

Mentioned this earlier in the thread, but fun fact worth repeating: it's Lesli Linka Glatter, who directed the episode with the Log Lady's cabin (other than Lynch, she is the series' most ubiquitous director). Apparently most of the people on set didn't know it was her until she announced it.

Aha, good to know. Very interesting.

The person in the woods with Leo, Bobby and Mike IS NOT the same person lurking and attacking Dr. Jacoby.  The implication in the football drug deal is that the person in the woods with Leo is "the money" behind the drug trafficking (possibly Ben Horne, but more likely Jean Renault).  The person at the gazebo is someone who followed a Laura disguised Maddy.

It is, in fact, a BOB possessed Leland, hence the burnt oil smell mentioned in a later episode by Jacoby during his hypnosis.

The fact that Jean Renault was "the money" behind the Twin Peaks drug trade and his own brother, Jacques, is unaware of this says a lot about their relationship.

One detail I wanted to add that I thought was cool: the tape we hear in this episode is slightly different from the version in the earlier episode. I think it's supposed to represent the same tape in canon, but it's from a different take. I think the line about 'I'm going to get lost in the woods tonight' is skipped, and most interestingly Laura's actor's delivery is different. When Jacobi is listening she sounds cryptic and sad when she says she's so sick of sweet. But when James and company are listening she sounds bitter and a little vindictive.

Shame that ABC Prime Time clip in Youtube is geoblocked.

This video contains content from CBS CID, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Got to get myself a VPN then.

I feel like this episode needs a rewatch after

Spoiler

finding who killed Laura.

season 2. 

Spoiler

Leland is so good in this episode. Not only does he play the ostensibly grief maddened father well but With knowledge the whole thing looks waaaaay more sinister. 

I love how so many characters spin on a dime in this in terms of sympathy - in today’s it was Catherine who goes from arch schemer to victim. It feels like a real soap dynamic (almost like professional wrestling). I think it’s a credit to the show that the characters can become sympathetic (except Leo who seems to become more and more comically monstrous). 

More soapiness: Norma No!!!!

Hank has a good point about the fraction of life he gave away but that scene was really laboured. 

The way Pete runs into the fire was  kind of amusing to me, especially with his fire extinguisher at hand. 

I loved Catherines reaction to a bomb going off and seeing a girl tied up: “let me think”. 

Horne is a master of all baddiness

Spoiler

It’s werid to think how mellow he gets later on and how much of his empire is in the dust.

In series 3. 

Cooper is really hardboiled in this episode.