JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

It's almost like you could take that point about the KKK and walk them to the idea of discourse, but not quite.

I thought this was a joke at first, but looking at the timeline it appears they're serious:

5ca41e7cce.png

I think they have a point. I certainly consider the Ku Klux Klan more legitimate for having not died out in the 1870s. Ideas that old must be right.

Speaking of the Klan, that which does not bend, breaks.

Someone promise me: if I ever attempt to claim Martin Luther King, shoot me.

Also that headline is great.

In a better universe that John Abarr guy could have been played by Philip Seymour Hoffman.

EDIT: Corrected autocorrect

So pleased to see David Rosen and John Bain decide to create a focus around what they do agree upon rather than where they differ. I'll not post the whole thing, it's fairly lengthy (so do click through to read it in fuller context), instead as a taster here are the opening clauses or sentence of each point:

Here are some topics that we both agree on:

1. It is important to promote consumer rights and journalistic ethics
2. Harassment of any kind is unacceptable, and there are three ways to effectively combat it
3. Diversity is important among game creators, players, and characters
4. Variety of perspective and critique is important to the consumer
5. The gamer identity is very much alive, and very important to a lot of people

http://blueplz.blogspot.ca/2014/11/i-spoke-to-david-rosen-of-wolfire-and.html

So pleased to see David Rosen and John Bain decide to create a focus around what they do agree upon rather than where they differ.

Why, exactly? Total "John Bain" Biscuit posted this the very same day he sent a mob of angry gaters to harass Elizabeth Simins for being a woman with an opinion. At the very moment Total Biscuit was giving himself a big congratulatory pat on the back for being the most principled man in gaming for releasing this statement, Elizabeth Simins was dealing with the fallout of the hate mob that Total Biscuit sent her way. In that context, this olive branch feels incredibly disingenuous.

Until he stops actively choosing to participate in a hate and harassment campaign that he has aligned himself with since its inception (when it was obvious that it was just about harassing Zoe Quinn, because they didn't have an alibi yet), it's hard to see this as anything but an opportunity to legitimize his actions to enable further harassment of women in the gaming. 

I feel bad for David Rosen in that situation because he basically had to capitulate in order to get people off his back. I mean, I don't know if that's how he actually felt, but he clearly had strong opinions and I don't think anything other than this would've gotten the GG hate mob off his ass.

Oh man, what happened? I wasn't aware of the wider context; it was pretty much the only thing I'd read on the GamerGate topic today, apart from dipping into some of Raph Koster's posts.

Thanks for pointing it out.

He called out TB specifically for tacitly supporting GG and Adam Baldwin's insanity, among other stuff, and of course got into a heated argument with everyone but TB. The two later had a private conversation off twitter, and that's what came out of it.

I don't know what TB said in his stream about her(or if he said anything) but he definitely made sure the mob targeted Simins on Twitter. Because the mob was aimed in the wrong direction for some quote that was being passed around.

post-33601-0-75600700-1415737364_thumb.jpg

Also, #misandryisreal made a bit of a comeback. Some pretty good ones in there.

I'd been saying GamerGate has been accomplishing one thing (destroying language) but I'm wrong. It has accomplished two things. The second is destroying history and historical references.

I know saying that GamerGate often treads self-parody is trite by now, but the more time I spent parsing this (which I just took from Brianna Wu's Twitter, so maybe we're both being fooled) for quotes the more I felt like I was reading Clickhole.

I’m starting a video game site even though I haven’t played video games seriously since the year 2000 (Starcraft was my jam). I don’t even play mobile games. I won’t blow smoke up your ass by pretending I’m a gamer or have a deep commitment in furthering game technology. My only commitment is with helping men.

I aim to protect the interests of heterosexual Western males, a category I’m in. The far-left is trying to censor and criminalize masculine behaviors that are normal. They want to relabel consensual sex as “rape” and relabel innocent flirting as “harassment,” and as I learned with #gamergate, they’ve successfully infected the gaming industry and gaming journalist sites by damaging the very nature of gaming development to fit their extreme political agenda. So while I don’t play video games, the idea of starting a pro-#gamergate site is compatible with my overall mission.

OK, standard anti-SJW rhetoric so far. Then the author starts plugging his other site.

I also run Return Of Kings, a site that has been labeled as horrible by the same media outlets who are against #gamergate. They have singled out less than 10 articles out of 1,825 as proof the site is an incubator of hate and a den of trolls. This simply isn’t true. While we have posted some controversial articles (such as this one that recently received nearly 35,000 comments), we strongly believe in two things:

• Men should be masculine and women should be feminine
  • Criticism of women is not misogyny—it’s simply trying to make them the best versions of themselves

f you don’t don’t agree with ROK, that’s fine, because Reaxxion will not try to jam ideology down your throat like the existing gaming sites. We won’t tell you to go to the gym and live in Eastern Europe to sleep with thin women, behaviors that I currently engage in.

Our goal is simple: create a safe space for heterosexual males who play video games. We won’t exclude homosexuals or attractive women from commenting on our articles, and we sincerely hope they find value in what we have to say, but understand that this site will be written by male gamers for male gamers. 

(Emphasis is my own.)

I also run Return Of Kings, a site that has been labeled as horrible by the same media outlets who are against #gamergate

and also by those killjoys at the Southern Poverty Law Centre, gawd you say you've raped a few women and every girl who lives on her own is a slut and everyone gets all up in arms.

Yeah, Roosh is a real piece of work.

A good way to learn more about ol' Rooshy without giving him traffic would be to catch this podcast by the F-Plus. It's as insane as you'd imagine.

I was legit excited when I found out Dave Anthony was considering a Gamergate episode of The Dollop. People getting upset about video games being driven by a posse of actual rapists is the kind of horrifically bizarre turn that The Dollop lives for.

Trying to claim 'gamer' as a gender is really the climax of this thing, isn't it. It can't get any more entertaining from here.

I am surprised that there isn't a score system at the end of that picture. I mean, on the oppression scale, how do nerds score?

They haven't actually announced it as a gender there, though, they're just comparing the oppression faced by the three groups. To do that is still typically self-involved, though!

Maybe only a few of them will get that ridiculous, but a grandiose sense of entitlement seems to flow naturally from their appropriation of identity politics coupled with a chosen social identity. I do wonder if they'll have to invent some bits of language to sustain that, or reappropriating nerd will be enough.

Edit: It is very entertaining watching them grapple with this stuff after seeing them mock tumblr identities for so long. "NO! NO. You're not a special snowflake! B… but we are".

So these guys self-identify as "nerds" right? I always thought that was more of an insult than anything else. Leaving aside the whole GG thing (not been paying it much attention, because it doesn't deserve any attention), it's quite interesting that they compare nerds to men and women. Why not black or Asian people? Why not poor and rich people? 

I don't know, it just seems odd that they'd choose gender as a comparison when being a nerd doesn't have anything to do with gender.