JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

And so even though we face the SWJs of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day these gamers will rise up and live out the true meaning of the Assassin's Creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all game reviews are created objective and ethical."

Oh okay, now I know why these things have been showing up in my twitter feed. I approve.

I'm pretty sure someone linked this a few days ago, but I'm going to link it again, as I just had time to listen to it.  Isometric episode 24 is required listening if you care about this stuff (well, or required listening at some point when you can handle it, if you're overwhelmed with the bullshit, it's really raw).  Brianna Wu talks very frankly about what happened to her, and quite frankly about her disgust at the outlets and men in the industry who chose to remain silent while this was going on. 

They also talked about something I wasn't aware of, that following the deluge of hate that Samantha Allen got this summer, she has not only quit covering games (that I knew) but has been trying to at least partially scrub some of her previous work from the Internet, or limit how high profile it is.  Because she continued getting hate and abuse for months and months. 

So apparently JonTron has gotten kinda suspicious over how little Gamergate seems to actually care about ethics, which tells you how much the justifications have melted away to expose the misogynistic core of this thing.

I made a thing (thought It wasn't my idea, a coworker came up with it):

Legit started applauding, here home alone. Fantastic work.

Glad to see Jontron has spoken out. He's not exactly a source for social justice but I do like his videos and I'm glad he's put his foot down.

There was a thing a few weeks back where JonTron and Tim Schafer both released some short blurb on how they talked over lunch or something. I guess they met up to work it out, most likely initiated by Tim who is the most stand up guy. If I remember Tim stated in his post that neither of them represent any kind of faction and JonTron just sort of made some non apology. He never asserted he was with Gamergate though. But then a few weeks later he said he wanted to marry the woman from the "Factual Feminist," I guess because he loved her views? Or he was joking? I am guessing it's the former. So then I got annoyed and closed his twitter.

And now he's saying he's a "humanist" among admitted that every piece of media is biased by default. He should really just stop beating around the bush.

Do these Youtubers who keep steeping themselves in this stuff really feel like they need to keep an audience by not going too vehemently against these GGers? Does it really matter all that much? I always wonder what PressHearttoContinue/Dodger thinks of all of TotalBiscuit's nonsense the past few months.

I think the Seventh Seal pic may be my favorite.

It's Lost in Translation for me.

tumblr_ndyszmoANi1u24g68o1_1280.jpg

And now he's saying he's a "humanist" among admitted that every piece of media is biased by default. He should really just stop beating around the bush.

The "I'm not a feminist, I'm a humanist" thing really bothers me, not only because it typically means agreement with feminists but desire to avoid the ire of misogynists (or agreement with misogynists but desire to avoid the ire of feminists), but because it's a word that already means something else. Unless you're a fourteenth- or fifteenth-century Italian or German who believes that human knowledge is better served by analysis of the works of man, especially those of classical Greece and Rome, than faith in the works of God, you're using the wrong word to describe yourself. If you mean to say that you believe in the fundamental equality of men and women both in theory and in practice, as well as the destruction of social and cultural structures that prevent said equality, we have a word for that: feminist. Have the courage to identify with what you actually believe, even if it means using a word with which you have negative associations.

Every time some says "I'm a humanist," I want to make and post these faces in response:

Dante-227x300.jpgspectacular250.jpg

There was a thing a few weeks back where JonTron and Tim Schafer both released some short blurb on how they talked over lunch or something. I guess they met up to work it out, most likely initiated by Tim who is the most stand up guy. If I remember Tim stated in his post that neither of them represent any kind of faction and JonTron just sort of made some non apology. He never asserted he was with Gamergate though. But then a few weeks later he said he wanted to marry the woman from the "Factual Feminist," I guess because he loved her views? Or he was joking? I am guessing it's the former. So then I got annoyed and closed his twitter.

Do these Youtubers who keep steeping themselves in this stuff really feel like they need to keep an audience by not going too vehemently against these GGers? Does it really matter all that much? I always wonder what PressHearttoContinue/Dodger thinks of all of TotalBiscuit's nonsense the past few months.

Does Dodger have a history with TB? I sub to her but I only watch 10% of what she puts out, so I don't really know all of the connections she has with other YTers.

She's just always a staple on his podcast, so I am assuming they are good friends.

Found her statement though, it was only made known only recently as well it seems: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sd0v77

She's riding the fence some I suppose. Again, I get the idea that all of these Youtube types really have to try not to piss off what they consider to be most(?) of their fanbase, since I guess Youtubers are the ones keeping it real and unbiased even though they are all almost completely Disney owned.

Does Dodger have a history with TB? I sub to her but I only watch 10% of what she puts out, so I don't really know all of the connections she has with other YTers.

Sounds like someone needs an MSPaint diagram!

To anyone keeping up with this stuff, if you see shit about how Occupy Wall Street "supports" GamerGate, it doesn't; Justine Tunney, one of its supporters (falsely) who hijacked the Twitter feed long, long ago and has since become a crazy nut who believes a servant class should exist in society, is using the account to give the appearance. Everyone knows she runs the account and it's not a secret, but she actually tried to pass it off yesterday as, "Oh good OWS supports GamerGate." And it's like, "You fuck, you literally make those tweets."