Jake

Idle Thumbs 171: The Curious Case of the Rhode Island Reader

This is stupid and nitpicky but the "O" in Oracle isn't an omega, it's a theta.  The omega is actually the "C".  The name is stylized as ΘRΑΩLE

Thetaromegale!

This is stupid and nitpicky but the "O" in Oracle isn't an omega, it's a theta.  The omega is actually the "C".  The name is stylized as ΘRΑΩLE

This was actually confusing me, because I searched for Oracle based on "Omegaracle" and could only find some dude's Soundcloud.  I was going to make a comment that, "Are things discussed only games this week?  Oh, I guess not because this is music."

Ugh, that's even WOЯSE

Jake, if you're interested in the Fighting Fantasy books, a company named Tin Man Games has been adapting them to electronic formats, such as iOS and Android. I think they're supposed to be good.

Streaming the recording as it happens is something we've talked about a lot. Maybe eventually!

Streaming the recording as it happens is something we've talked about a lot. Maybe eventually!

I really enjoyed when you guys did that for the Ruinationcast. I would definitely tune in.

Regarding movies that are hard to sound terrible on paper (The Dark Knight) and movies with great background acting (Clue), have any of the Thumbs ever seen Summer Wars? It's one of my favourite movies ever. It sounds terrible on paper (it's an anime where a mathlete has to both pretend to be his crush's fiance while staying with her massive extended family and also has to save the world from a sentient computer virus that framed him for cybercrimes he didn't commit) partially because there's so many fantastic tiny character details. I once watched it and only paid attention to the way the characters drank.

I really enjoyed when you guys did that for the Ruinationcast. I would definitely tune in.

Yeah, I could see this being a thing at one point. Right now we're not doing a bunch of changes to the site/podcast (even though we want to and have lots of ideas) because we're so slammed on Firewatch. Hopefully down the road though!

I, too, was raised catholic. The church my family attended didn't usually use a smoke orb though, but I went to an episcopalian school and they were full smoke orb

We got Palm Sunday smoke orb and that was it.  Also my uncle is a priest at the Pro Cathedral in Dublin so I've got inside line to all the smoke orbs I could ever want.

Yeah I think we also just had it on palm sunday. At the elementary/middle school it was at the mandatory Thursday mass though, but I think they may have ended up getting rid of it because kids with asthma didn't get along well with the smoke orb.

Besides smoke orbs, what about the ritualistic drinking of pretend blood?

Under catholic doctrine, isn't it literally Jesus's blood? I grew up in a church (United Church) with metaphoric blood, and no smoke orbs.  :getmecoat

One of the sincerely coolest memories from my childhood is being an altar server at the 3 hour midnight Easter vigil masses and getting to manage the censer and incense.

Under catholic doctrine, isn't it literally Jesus's blood? I grew up in a church (United Church) with metaphoric blood, and no smoke orbs. :getmecoat

Yes, after transubstantiation occurs, it is the literal blood of Christ. Though, in this case I'd argue 'pretend' is entirely appropriate.

Fun to hear some Gods Will Be Watching responses. I really enjoyed their systemic gaming in an adventure game wrapper as it reminded me more of older adventure games where systems would sneak in for a section or two to break up the 'authored puzzle -> authored solution' gameplay. I also appreciate the use of short scenarios a lot, as it lets you play around and be expressive in different ways within a situation without having Sierra-esque 'did I forget an important thing 8 screens back' worries. One slight thing though, I'm pretty sure time stands still as long as you are not engaging in an action. I only mention this because I agonized for minutes over a single decision in the second scenario and could barely look at the screen as I made the choice.  I hope Chris plays more and discusses how he feels about the various chapters, specifically the narrative brutality. I've been fine with it, but it's an aspect that has turned people off from diving in.

We got Palm Sunday smoke orb and that was it.  Also my uncle is a priest at the Pro Cathedral in Dublin so I've got inside line to all the smoke orbs I could ever want.

At my actual church it was just Palm Sunday smoke orb, yeah. That camp I went to for a few years was at an actual abbey, so all the counselors were monks and they had full Latin mass every morning. Super hardcore.

Yayyy, thanks for the mention of my Twine game, Jake! Danielle in particular sounded interested, so I hope she'll take a look.

The conversation about kicking corpses made me think of the bite-sized adventure game spoof McPixel where one of the primary ways of interacting with pretty much anything is kicking it. I played it quite some time ago and my memory of it is hazy but it wouldn't surprise me if there is kicking corpses somewhere in it (You can kick a tombstone in the online demo at http://mcpixel.net/). There's not really any explicit character development in the game but the actions available to the main character paints him pretty clearly as an asshole.

I'm also new here on the forums although I've been listening to the podcast for about a year now. This episode seemed to draw out quite a few lurkers.

P.S. As a swede the conversation about being "hot-livered" was amusing. It seems like it's a term in english too though, at least according to wiktionary (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hot-livered).

Smoke orb is the best \o/

Although I remember it to be more egg shaped.