Jake

Idle Thumbs 160: Die Übiverse

I'm enjoying this new running joke of a person with <20 posts showing up on an episode thread and acting like they're on a YouTube comment thread!

The rumor also has it that her manager was supposed to be Wallet Bill.

:getmecoat

I'm enjoying this new running joke of a person with <20 posts showing up on an episode thread and acting like they're on a YouTube comment thread!

Post counts. The ultimate sign of significance. Never mind the quality, feel the width.  

Please, go on.

Why bother. This episode reminded me of the one back when Saints Row III or IV came out and the entire episode revolved around deciding to not to play it because "reasons".

I just noticed that there's a star rating at the top of every thread and someone has taken time to rate this one at one star. Interesting and helpful!

The issue is obviously that people register accounts just to bitch about something without any genuine interest in engaging with a community. Post count doesn't mean much, but below a certain level it's a red flag for that type of account.

The issue is obviously that people register accounts just to bitch about something without any genuine interest in engaging with a community. Post count doesn't mean much, but below a certain level it's a red flag for that type of account.

Come on, be fair. He contributed one post to the Quitter's Club.

I'm not making any personal accusations, largely because I don't give a shit. I'm just saying that there's a perfectly legit reason to be wary of accounts with low post counts, and it's not an e-peen thing necessarily to bring that up.

That said, if his posts had been less inflammatory, no one would have brought up the post count in the first place.

Post counts. The ultimate sign of significance. Never mind the quality, feel the width.  

Why bother. This episode reminded me of the one back when Saints Row III or IV came out and the entire episode revolved around deciding to not to play it because "reasons".

I for one am genuinely curious to hear what you think. 

I for one am genuinely curious to hear what you think. 

if you're going to do a show about games, talk about games you've played/are playing Vs talking about 3rd hand impressions of games that aren't remotely in your wheel house.

Well that was disappointing.  I'm sure you've got more interesting things to say besides just quoting yourself.

Wait for them to make another three posts then it'll be gold all the way after that.

I'm not making any personal accusations.

I am! This dude's a jerk and needs to go away.

I think there's value in discussing why something you're never going to play repels you. That is almost certainly going to rely on third-hand knowledge. There are enough games with terrible elements to them that you can't go into every game with an open mind and an open heart, so it's unrealistic to say that people 'should' play a particular game before having an opinion on it. If Saints Row, for instance, wanted adults with standards to play it, they probably shouldn't have been so keen on the dick jokes.

Regarding Watch Dogs specifically, though, the ctOS system is outing trans people simply by displaying that information to the player. David Gallant (I Get This Call Every Day creator) got into an argument with the writer of Watch Dogs where the writer dismissed Gallant's claims that this was in itself traumatic, and seemed pretty dismissive that there was a problem with how trans people were portrayed in Watch Dogs at all. (Not surprising considering that it's also pretty sexist.) We know from reviews that Watch Dogs is a privacy-themed open world game rather than a game that actually meaningfully examines the implications of invasions of privacy. The deepest it goes is outing trans people, and that only reads as invasive to trans people and those who know them. Given the content of the podcast, it's not surprising the Thumbs would dismiss it, as it's not mechanically interesting, and it's not thematically interesting.

Do you also show up to parties and pick fights right off the bat? That's why people notice post counts in your case.

If you've just registered to argue, please just go away now. If you'd like to contribute productively, awesome.

I think there's value in discussing why something you're never going to play repels you. That is almost certainly going to rely on third-hand knowledge. There are enough games with terrible elements to them that you can't go into every game with an open mind and an open heart, so it's unrealistic to say that people 'should' play a particular game before having an opinion on it. If Saints Row, for instance, wanted adults with standards to play it, they probably shouldn't have been so keen on the dick jokes.

If they don't want to play it, then don't go into it. Would you tune into a film podcast where the hosts talk about the films that they haven't seen and don't intend to, or a book podcast where the hosts talk about the books they've not read and don't intend to?  

Regarding Watch Dogs specifically, though, the ctOS system is outing trans people simply by displaying that information to the player. David Gallant (I Get This Call Every Day creator) got into an argument with the writer of Watch Dogs where the writer dismissed Gallant's claims that this was in itself traumatic, and seemed pretty dismissive that there was a problem with how trans people were portrayed in Watch Dogs at all. (Not surprising considering that it's also pretty sexist.) We know from reviews that Watch Dogs is a privacy-themed open world game rather than a game that actually meaningfully examines the implications of invasions of privacy. The deepest it goes is outing trans people, and that only reads as invasive to trans people and those who know them. Given the content of the podcast, it's not surprising the Thumbs would dismiss it, as it's not mechanically interesting, and it's not thematically interesting.

So you'd rather trans people didn't exist at all. What next? No sexuality to any of the people? Then what? Ageism? It's very tenuous accusation in the first place. Even more so  given said information reveal has no bearing on the game or narrative whatsoever.  

Do you also show up to parties and pick fights right off the bat? That's why people notice post counts in your case.

If you've just registered to argue, please just go away now. If you'd like to contribute productively, awesome.

I thought it was a bad episode for the reasons given, and I'm providing feedback (after all this is the Idle thumbs podcast forum). That that happens to grate with regulars like yourself is really not my concern. I'm not a regular here simply because in truth there bigger more active forums elsewhere and my time is finite. 

So you'd rather trans people didn't exist at all.

Yep that is totally what he said. You are obviously an intellectually honest person arguing in good faith.

Yep that is totally what he said. You are obviously an intellectually honest person arguing in good faith.

Agreed. Also:

I'm not a regular here simply because in truth there bigger more active forums elsewhere and my time is finite. 

Forum size. The ultimate sign of significance. Never mind the quality, feel the width.

To be fair, I think that should read "didn't exist at all in the game", which I missed at first as well. Continuing to be fair, though, that isn't what Merus was saying either, so it's still pretty blatant trolling, as has been most of Kadayi's contribution to this thread.

Anyone got a new episode-related topic to move onto?

Anyone got a new episode-related topic to move onto?

Did we exhaust the list of potential Wario characters already? Was Wawser mentioned already? Would he be a nice person or just different kind of evil?

Surely he'd be the simperingly good counterpart to EVIL Bowser?

Surely he'd be the simperingly good counterpart to EVIL Bowser?

I don't think I'd characterize Wario or Waluigi as evil per se, they're just kind of assholes. They aren't really villainous the way bowser is. I think Wowzer would just be a different flavor of evil, like maybe he'd have a crazy mustache and a tophat.

Wabowser would be Bowser as portrayed in the Paper Mario games.

If they don't want to play it, then don't go into it. Would you tune into a film podcast where the hosts talk about the films that they haven't seen and don't intend to, or a book podcast where the hosts talk about the books they've not read and don't intend to?

Idle Thumbs is not a game review podcast, at least not exclusively. You are welcome to not listen, but you're not going to succeed at telling us to stop talking about things we find personally interesting.

And to answer your question: yes. I prefer film podcasts where the hosts will talk about why they didn't do something or why something in the film industry turns them off, as opposed to just running down the movies they watched this week. The Internet is full of people and sites that do exactly that, so I value people who do something else.

As to whether our Watch Dogs talk last week was any good, I can not say, but I'd much rather take the risk of sounding dumb and talking about my feelings on it than ignore something interesting to me.

roger-sterling-crying.jpg