melmer

Bloodborne (Dark Souls 2 successor (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)))

So it's From Software and SCE Japan Studio making this. What does that mean?

I guess it would mean a playstation exclusive. No PC?

SCE Japan Studio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Japan_Studio

Maybe it's the guys that worked on Soul sacrifice? The games are kinda similar, art style, third person action game, big bosses.

Anyway I'm super glad their next game is already this far along and it's current Gen only! I'm interested in a slight departure from the formula, we've had 3 games of swords and sorcery lets now have some zombie pirates and guns!

If Sony's involved, it's going to be platform exclusive, so that bums me out.

I think i'm getting kind of a colonial, early-industrial vibe from some of the screenshots, which might be kind of neat.

kYntMAz.jpg

That looks like the graveyard from the beginning of dark souls :) doubt it, but it would be super good to revisit areas from past games in a different time/era. Game developers don't do this stuff nearly enough, we fucking love this shit, the mansion in code Veronica, shadow Moses in MGS4

The mention of a shotgun makes me slightly hesitant, I have a hard time getting into something with a fantasy aesthetic that mixes in too much technology. It's like steampunk. Still interested though, just hope I don't have to get a PS4 to play it.

Year, it's certainly exclusive. There are even some posts from year ago by a Sony employee on Neogaf, which indicates that this game has been in development since then.

I hope this one is a little less demanding than Demon/Dark Souls. I always wanted to finish both games, but after a certain moment in the game you don't make much progress unless you play two or more hours in a row - or maybe I just suck at these games. Can't dedicate a lot of time in a day for games anymore.

I'm a From fanboy at this point, so yeah, super exciting, but can't say that I really want to buy a PS4. 

Well at least I won't have to pretend to plan to play this one since it's not coming to PC. That makes things easier for me.

How would you feel about a dark souls "style" game coming out annually like ass creed of CoD?

Pretty Very Good!

Pretty Very Good!

Honestly, I think I would prefer every other year.  I've spent months and months on every Souls game so far, need a bit of a break!

Man, wished I liked the gameplay in these, because I love the designs and theme.

I very much doubt that annualizing a souls-style game would pay off. Punishing mechanics fell out of fashion for a reason. Even though I loved Dark Souls, I'm only sort of enjoying DS2 and don't feel all that enthusiastic about the prospect of another. I suspect that they wouldn't get anything near the year after year success of an Assassin's Creed game.

A souls game is something you have to commit to. Assassin's Creed is junk food.

Hopefully it's only locked down on consoles and they'll still release it on PC, then again by the time I finish Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 the PS4 have dropped to a reasonable price.

This is has become a new reason for me wanting to have a PS4.

I'm a From fanboy at this point, so yeah, super exciting, but can't say that I really want to buy a PS4.

Yeah, screw that noise. Bah.

It seems like a really weird move given the games' gigantic popularity on PC.

Two problems.

1) I don't want a PS4 and a TV.

2) From Soft haven't made anything I've enjoyed other than the Souls games. I don't exactly have much faith in them as developers...

I must echo that a new Souls game every year sound exhausting. I'm at the brink of finishing DS2 and I don't even want to think about having to do another for 70 hours. A small rest, please! Apart from that, nice to see them shake up the theme to piratey stuff. Should work well. And Griddlelol, it would seem they're using the Dark Souls engine and gameplay for this, would that take away your doubt?

Nope! I'm a miserable old bastard though. Still, could surprise me. I'm glad they're doing something else rather than pushing the Souls series until everyone hates it though.

And Griddlelol, it would seem they're using the Dark Souls engine and gameplay for this, would that take away your doubt?

Yes, it's almost definitely another Souls-style game running on their DaS2 engine. (An engine that From specifically said was built to shepherd them into next-gen development.)

That said, i'm certainly not in the camp that feels the Souls games are the only worthwhile thing From has done. They're a developer that has kind of just trucked along doing their own sometimes flawed, but always ambitious thing, and so they've ended up with a ton of really fascinating games in their history. (I will argue vehemently for their mech games.)

As for annualizing souls-style games, i'd like to believe they wouldn't bleed it out like that, but based on From's history... I would get the impression the only thing holding them back from trying is an issue of the manpower required for such large games. The thing is, as of Dark Souls 2, it looks like they now have two separate teams working on RPG's side-by-side, so I wouldn't put it past them.

That's fair enough. I'm not saying the Armored Core (I think that's what they're called) games are bad, they're just not my thing. A little difficult to get in to. 

I have to chime in with everyone else. I'm still working through DS1 and I will need a break before I take on DS2. It's a draining game.

The mechanics in chromehounds pushed it toward being one of the best games of the generation, if ony the online hadn't been meh.

I love Chromehounds to death, one of my favorite games of the last console generation. It definitely had a lot of unresolved problems though.

Add me into the camp against the serialization of Demons/Dark Souls style games. Dark Souls 2 is already a little off for me. I hope this game is more than just a re-skin of the franchise.