melmer

Bloodborne (Dark Souls 2 successor (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)))

So did I. I went one step worse though, I ordered the GAME exclusive special edition. I hate myself so much right now.

15803929209_9470af6014_b.jpg

It'll be worth it. right?

Well, I liked it, specially the ink kit, very classy. I'm lucky to not have these special editions released in Brazil, I'd probably spend a lot on those.

I played this at Rezzed and I'm so excited for it to come out now. They definitely like to throw you into bigger crowds of enemies though. I was luring guys out one or two at a time and waiting for patrols to move around, but I get the feeling I was probably supposed to be able to take five or so guys on at once. I'll be interested to see how the full game presents it.

It is proving to be just agonizing hearing people gush about this game, but i simply cannot justify a PS4 over one exclusive that i really, really want to play.

Holy shit though, i really want to play it.

Nnngh.

I found a friend to go 50/50 with over a PS4 purchase so I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Between us we hopefully will use the machine more than it would otherwise be used.

Honestly Bloodborne was the soul reason I got a PS4.

PS+ games every month makes the purchase totally worth it, as I'm now getting free games that I'm actually interested in. OlliOlli2 is a particular highlight. Also the PS4 is a pretty decent console now, I think. It's certainly more worth while now there's games out on it.

Well, I liked it, specially the ink kit, very classy. I'm lucky to not have these special editions released in Brazil, I'd probably spend a lot on those.

Yeah, the ink kit is neat, but I don't think I'll ever use it. As a CE, it feels rather random, unlike others which have game-specific memorabilia, like the New Vegas poker chip and cards. But then again I've purposefully kept myself as blind as I can be for this game, so it could be totally thematically awesome. who knows. (well I guess I'll know come friday)

Not seen anyone talking about OlliOlli2 on here. It's a shame because it's fantastic and I suck at it. I just beat the last level - and by beat, I mean finished with no stars on amateur. 

In Bloodborne news, people on gaf are complaining about potentially long load times. I hate long load times. 

And how long are we talking here? 30 seconds? a minuet? 

I think about a minuet actually

Apparently 35 seconds or more. That can become really grating if you are dying a lot on one boss. I find load screens and cut scenes are more likely to make me quit a game than a difficult boss.

I love this slip.

I think about a minuet actually

I see what you did there x2. also sorry Gor for not referencing it earlier XD

The vid in question is here: http://a.pomf.se/fnkvuv.webm (don't worry, there's no spoilers)

Wow that's pretty bad. Although reddit have said that that vid is from someone who's got the 1.0 version, evident by the fact that there's no item description on the load screen (which I'm glad isn't gone, I was really worried). A person from Edge magazine has commented saying that there's a day 1 patch (ver 1.1) that optimises the load + adds item description. Which is good!

Oh god I'm getting excited.

It is proving to be just agonizing hearing people gush about this game, but i simply cannot justify a PS4 over one exclusive that i really, really want to play.

Holy shit though, i really want to play it.

Nnngh.

I've got a PS4 in the house only because my daughter had one when she moved back in.  And I hardly ever use it.  I think I've played 3 things total on it (PT, the Metal Gear thingy and something else).  I'll probably pick up Bloodborne when it comes out, but one thing having a PS4 around has convinced me is that when she moves back out on her own, I'm not going to buy my own PS4. 

I'll probably buy one in the summer just to play Bloodborne (assuming the game is good), but I don't have much of an interest in anything else on there. I mean, 99% of it comes to PC, will be cheaper and I won't have to pay for online (which bugs me so much that I refuse to do it on principle). I actually bought a console game the other day, Dark Souls for PS3 as a gift and that cost six times as much as what it goes on sale for 4+ times a year on Steam. No thanks.

No, no. It was a gift for someone who doesn't have a computer that can run it. Chances are she won't like it but I love Dark Souls enough to gift it to people anyway.

It's so weird when we talk about console vs PC stuff on these forums. I have stuff to say on the topic, but it's been talked to death in so much media that I feel it's not worth adding to. Sucks for those of you unwilling to buy a PS4, I am fortunately not in that position.

I'm thinking about picking up Bloodborne the closer we get to its release. I know almost nothing about it and my only experience with the "series" so to speak is 10-ish hours with Dark Souls I. That said, I really do envy the zeitgeist when everyone first picks up these kinds of games and are discovering all the oblique challenges and secrets within. I wasn't able to experience it with the last few games or even anything like Fez. I still have my old 3DS XL that I never traded in, might make my yearly pilgrimage to hell Gamestop to trade it in for a copy of Bloodborne. That said, I'm wondering if I should just buy some PSN cards to pick it up digitally and if that would have any effect on the load times.

It's so weird when we talk about console vs PC stuff on these forums. I have stuff to say on the topic, but it's been talked to death in so much media that I feel it's not worth adding to. Sucks for those of you unwilling to buy a PS4, I am fortunately not in that position.

If someone prefers a console for any reason over a PC (initial cost, ease of hookup/management, existing friends lists), that's totally fine, I get it.  I was that way most of last generation.  But if you've already got a good gaming PC, I just don't see the need.  $500 (console, extra controller, one new game) will buy me years and years of games on PC. 

If I was going to go out and buy a new console, it would almost certainly be a WiiU, because the overlap in games with PC is much, much smaller. 

For me it's not at all about being unwilling to buy a PS4. (I do plan to buy one, and this game is a huge driving factor. Or this game is an EXAMPLE of the main driving factor - that is, exclusive Japanese games. Same reason I have a Wee Woo, except it's a different subset of games.)

It's actually just simply that playing games on my PC is a much more enjoyable experience to me. I get to tweak it to my heart's content, I get to use the controls I prefer (instead of that Sony monstrosity), and I can do it at a moment's notice while at home since I spend most of my time on my PC anyway.

So it's a matter of convenience (PC) vs inconvenience (consoles).

I get the convenience argument because it's pretty subjective. Someone could make as convincing an argument about convenience framed by watching TV a lot, having already invested in a nice TV set and sound system, and preferring the simplified controls of a controller. To each his own.

I don't really get the value argument, because I frankly think that any kind of gaming is as value-oriented as you endeavor for it to be. There are tons of "console gamers" that just bought a PS3, are buying used copies of Uncharted 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum and are having a blast. There are similarly tons of PC gamers that have a hobbled together $400 budget PC with a overclocked Pentium processor, they regularly play Team Fortress 2 and DOTA 2 to their heart's content and they occasionally splurge on a Humble Bundle to play some solid indie games and the rare old AAA games from big publishers. These are extreme examples, but I feel like every person modulates how much they spend through compromising on how soon you need to play games after they're released, how soon you buy updated components, how soon you choose to buy your second console, whether you buy new or used, etc. In the end, I imagine PC gaming is generally cheaper on average due to the overall higher barrier to entry but I still feel the difference is negligible.

Personally, I upgrade my PC and focus on PC gaming at the end of console generations then I flip my focus to consoles at the beginning of generations. That way my upgrade cycle on my PC isn't so painful and I get to play everything. That's my choice and I frankly don't mind investing a good percentage of my income into gaming as it's my hobby of choice and I'm not paying off student loans or an expensive car.

Also, even used console games are more expensive by a LOT than the average Steam Sale or Humble Bundle, as far as gaming quantity goes. Also, then I have to have gross physical copies of games all up in my biz. Also, in my arrogant opinion, PC gaming has many more unique and varied experiences than consoles do. There are plenty of unique-to-consoles experiences, of course, but... less significant in quantity.

That said, PS+ is pretty cool. Until you stop subscribing and can't play those games until you resubscribe. But that's not something I really hold against Sony. It just kinda sucks.

Yeah the convenience is the opposite for me. I hate playing on a pc since I have to go to a dedicated room (my study) and be incredibly antisocial. Whereas the ps4 is in my living room attached to my TV.

I'd disagree that used console games are a lot more expensive than steam stuff, I can usually pick up a fairly recent used game for £5-£10, although I do hate physical stuff. The sales are getting better though. Often see 50-75% off. I actually spend less on games now than when I spent most of my time using steam, simply because I buy far less games. I don't have a ridiculously long back log either so I don't feel stressed or guilty playing something Ive already finished now. That's my personal flaw though. I can't say no to those sales.

The only thing I miss is strategy games which are completely absent from consoles because they'd suck.

The hype is starting to overcome me. I shouldn't buy a PS4 right now but I'm afraid I will anyway.