OssK

Twitter :)

January 20, 2007. Pimping out my Animal Crossing Wild World town. Also, apparently I thought back then that because my name was at the top, every tweet should read as though my name were inserted as the first two words before the body of the tweet.

Also, I'm still glad that a pun I made in 2012 can make me smile. "If I stop moving, I'll fall asleep. It's like a shark, but with sleep instead of death. I have sharkolepsy."

My first tweet is very appropriate for these forums

Here's the picture:

184349208.jpg?1288322921

your 1000th post is your very first tweet. hmm.

It's a weird quirk that Idle Thumbs doesn't count the Idle Banter forum against post counts. Not only does it attract some pretty great discussion, I'd kind of like to know what obscene number of posts I've put in here since 2004.  :ph34r:

Assuming you meant isn't, that's pretty easy to manage without making the post count more or less meaningless. I'm particularly partial to just not displaying it outside of profiles, perhaps even making it so only the profile owner can see it. That way there's literally no incentive to spam because it's not sat there next to every post like some kind of status symbol.

As it is, it might as well just be removed because this many years in I'd estimate that many of us have hundreds if not thousands of posts in Idle Banter.

Ben just falsely accused me in IRC of not following him on twitter, so TO CLEAR UP ALL THE CONFUSION I'm gonna post my twitter handle in this 2 month old thread

https://twitter.com/dinosaursssssss

And as is tradition (?) my first tweet:

5:18 PM - 29 Aug 2010

Tweet tweet #birdsounds

I thought this hashtag was pretty funny for a while. I think my first dozen or so tweets all used it and I brought it back once in a while, to the amusement of no one (except myself).

you are not wearing a helmet

that's not safe

Ben just falsely accused me in IRC of not following him on twitter, so TO CLEAR UP ALL THE CONFUSION I'm gonna post my twitter handle in this 2 month old thread

Well now you've finally linked clearly to your own Twitter account, I have followed you!

You too, Spenny.

My first tweet seems to be as nerdy as my most:

I finally realized that Git is awesome! Changing branches in less than a second. Who would have thunk it?

Also I remember that after not being able to register "Taffer" due to it being taken, I picked "T4ffer" (Thi4f was just announced) and later looked up the @Taffer guy and he basically had the same profile description that I had ("wannabe game developer" or something... wait, I still haven't changed mine so we still have a similar one...)

This is probably a random thought more than anything else but it's about Twitter so here goes.

What do people use favorites for?  I sort of treat them like bookmarks to keep track of tweets I want to see later or on the rare occasion it actually is a favorite, but I see a lot of other people favorite dozens of tweets a day.  Are you really keeping track of that many?  Are all these tweets really your favorites?  Is it the twitter equivalent of liking a thing on Facebook?

This is probably a random thought more than anything else but it's about Twitter so here goes.

What do people use favorites for?  I sort of treat them like bookmarks to keep track of tweets I want to see later or on the rare occasion it actually is a favorite, but I see a lot of other people favorite dozens a tweets a day.  Are you really keeping track of that many?  Are all these tweets really your favorites?  Is it the twitter equivalent of liking a thing on Facebook?

I tend to use them as a bookmark function too for the most part. 

I use it as a "read later", which I guess is like what you're talking about. Every now and then I use it for approval without comment - most regularly with feminists, who I feel deserve my support if not my opinion.

Is it the twitter equivalent of liking a thing on Facebook?

People used to use it like bookmarking, but they seem to be used much more as likes now. It seems to mean people approve of or like something, but not enough that it merits a reply.

People used to use it like bookmarking, but they seem to be used much more as likes now. It seems to mean people approve of or like something, but not enough that it merits a reply.

:tup:

What do people use favorites for?  I sort of treat them like bookmarks to keep track of tweets I want to see later or on the rare occasion it actually is a favorite, but I see a lot of other people favorite dozens of tweets a day.  Are you really keeping track of that many?  Are all these tweets really your favorites?  Is it the twitter equivalent of liking a thing on Facebook?

I used to tell myself they were for bookmarking or some kind of records but realistically I have never actually gone and looked at my own favorites or anyone else's. I now use them purely as a way to express a positive reaction to someone else's post. It's just a shorthand for saying "I liked this" or "thanks" or whatever is clearly contextually appropriate to the tweet, without needing to write a pointless reply with very little real information.