Boris Stoke

Far Cry 4: A grenade rolls down everest

I couldn't help myself and take the piss out of Far Cry 3's box quote by putting this together:

342kE2Q.jpg

Huh...

GC: It is tricky, because you try and do the good thing of setting a game in an area of the world where games aren’t usually set but invariably that just ends up with you killing loads of whoever lives there.

MT: Yeah, I mean when we go somewhere we’re very authentic about how we do it. We’re very careful we get the right voice actors, we get the right cast, we go to a lot of time and effort. We sent a team to Nepal to do some research, to interview people, to understand how those people live and how they dealt with the conflicts they went through. So we’re very aware of what we do and we try and respect the cultures that we take influence and reference from.

I like when that guy compares Far Cry 2 to Marmite.

Nice. NICE.

My first thought of that guy was Wei Shen from Sleeping dogs, but after doing a side by side, he's really different.

Just giving me the Wei Shen vibe though. Looks cool for a character I'll never see.

So is that the guy on the cover as well?

I'd pay this game if they fixed the annoyances from Far Cry 3,but there's no way I'm doing that crafting thing again.

I like when that guy compares Far Cry 2 to Marmite.

Nice. NICE.

The problem though is the implied conceit that Far Cry 3 was universally beloved by fans compared to Far Cry 2.  

I'm skipping 4, due to disappointment with cartoonish, QTE-ridden, parody-infected, MTV-influenced FC3.  So take that, Ubi!

I don't think it's crazy to say Far Cry 3 has a much broader audience than Far Cry 2. For better or worse.

I don't think it's crazy to say Far Cry 3 has a much broader audience than Far Cry 2. For better or worse.

But even that's not a very profound statement. Every sequel has a larger audience than the one before, it's why franchises are such a thing.

That's a fair point, but I do believe if we could hypothetically change their release order, FC3's style of gameplay would have been more popular at the time than FC2's was. By pretty much everyone's admission, FC2 is a fucking weird ass game, yeah?

I dunno. Maybe I'm the crazy one!

Far Cry 3 seemed to click with a lot of people, whereas I recall the player reception to Far Cry 2 being universally so-so. I don't think it would have even sold what it did if it weren't for the high expectations set by its predecessor, which it ended up being quite dissimilar to — unlike FC3 which returned to a similar setting. FC3 sold like twice as much as FC2 so I guess the numbers back up my entirely subjective experience.

The reception to FC2 wasn't universally so-so.  Nor was the reception to FC3 universally positive.  However, it is quite true that FC3 succeeded with sales and that many fans (a majority?) were well pleased. 

Thus is born the Ubi-FC formula from which there can be no escape now.

FC3 is just easier for people to get into and easier = wider market.  A lot of people got frustrated with the jamming guns in FC2, even though it was the coolest mechanic.  FC2 is just frustrating to a lot of people.

Then again.... so is Dark Souls and that game is a huge blockbuster (out of nowhere) so go figure.  Maybe FC2 just came out at the wrong time with the wrong push and with terrible multiplayer.

The reception to FC2 wasn't universally so-so.  Nor was the reception to FC3 universally positive.  However, it is quite true that FC3 succeeded with sales and that many fans (a majority?) were well pleased. 

Yeah, my issue is more with the implicit black-and-white narrative that everyone hated Far Cry 2, so they made Far Cry 3 and everyone was happy forever. Granted, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it's really weird to see Far Cry 3 being pushed as a supremely solid design that only needs slight iteration. Then again, that's what the big companies, especially Ubisoft, do: try gameplay formulas until one works, then build an entire franchise around slight derivations of that formula.

Ubi seem to have taken a leaf out of the big book of Bethesda in making games that have many, many tasks (often with scant variation) scattered across a big map, for players to tidy up. Fine for the first few hours; deathly dull thereafter.

I don't think anyone said the reception to FC2 was universally so-so. More that it was a very divisive game, even among people who generally like FPS.

I don't think anyone said the reception to FC3 was universally positive. More that it is a much easier game to like, among people who generally like FPS.

EDIT: Actually Thrik said exactly that. I missed his post because it was on the previous page. I RETRACT ALL STATEMENTS. I WILL FOREVER LEAVE THE INTERNET AS PUNISHMENT.

I don't think anyone said the reception to FC2 was universally so-so. More that it was a very divisive game, even among people who generally like FPS.

I don't think anyone said the reception to FC3 was universally positive. More that it is a much easier game to like, among people who generally like FPS.

EDIT: Actually Thrik said exactly that. I missed his post because it was on the previous page. I RETRACT ALL STATEMENTS. I WILL FOREVER LEAVE THE INTERNET AS PUNISHMENT.

Perhaps you could describe FC2 (a very divisive game) as a bit Marmite?

FC3 is just easier for people to get into and easier = wider market.  A lot of people got frustrated with the jamming guns in FC2, even though it was the coolest mechanic.  FC2 is just frustrating to a lot of people.

Then again.... so is Dark Souls and that game is a huge blockbuster (out of nowhere) so go figure.  Maybe FC2 just came out at the wrong time with the wrong push and with terrible multiplayer.

In Dark Souls the frustration comes with trying to master timing your attacks with precision, etc. whereas in FC2 the frustration comes from your gun jamming, malaria kicking in, etc. at inopportune times. The difference is that the FC2 frustrations are relatively outside of the player's control. I think that's mitigated by the fact that FC2 isn't a particularly demanding game, but some people just hate those sorts of systems. Their loss.

Perhaps you could describe FC2 (a very divisive game) as a bit Marmite?

You definitely could.

Far Cry 3 was a horribly shit game in an amazing and gorgeous world filled with interesting systems and wonderful physical instantiation. Inside of missions it was basically anti-open-world, and about as fun as sitting down at a banquet and being told you can eat the spagetti and the spam, but only inside the mission area. 

You are leaving the mission area. 

In an open world game. 

Far Cry 4 will be more of that, and if it's not I will have its babies. 

In Dark Souls the frustration comes with trying to master timing your attacks with precision, etc. whereas in FC2 the frustration comes from your gun jamming, malaria kicking in, etc. at inopportune times. The difference is that the FC2 frustrations are relatively outside of the player's control. I think that's mitigated by the fact that FC2 isn't a particularly demanding game, but some people just hate those sorts of systems. Their loss.

I haven't played any Dark Souls but as long as there are multiple routes to success, precision can be fine, desireable even.

Can we all agree that what is good in FC2 and FC3 is the emergent gameplay?  What I would hope for with FC4 (if I didn't feel a crushing sense of Ubi-doom)  would be a return to extreme focus on open world emergent gameplay, not on QTE's, tagging, poker games, mission areas or a deeply dumass story line.  I just want Ubi to meet me halfway back to FC2.   Because FC3 was an overreaction to some people's complaints about FC2.   That's all I'm asking for, really.  Throw me a bone.

Far Cry 3 was a horribly shit game in an amazing and gorgeous world filled with interesting systems and wonderful physical instantiation. 

Didn't you basically describe what a good game is right there?

Didn't you basically describe what a good game is right there?

Haha, yeah, I think the GAME of FC3 is pretty great, it's parts of the narrative that are groany.

Also, as much as it's part of the core FC2 experience the enemy camp respawn rate was fro me was a bit on the wrong side of overbearing, where FC3 didn't respawn enough. 

Have they said anything about the "shape" of the world in FC4? Would be super cool if it was set on one enormous mountain, with the player starting in the foothills and working their way to the top throughout the game. Using the wingsuit to escape down the slope then acts as a form of automatic difficulty correction.