Ben X

Game Jams

This is super exciting. I'm travelling + going to weddings and stuff during this period, but will try my darnest to make a game that includes a sweet cybernetic arm.

Would any one actually be interested in teaming up to do this? It seems super rad for a jam.

I make art and stuff; if that helps.

Can't seem to find anywhere how long this jam is, am I blind?

March 1st - 10th. Top left.

Jam refers to a product made with whole games, cut into pieces or crushed.

Jelly refers to a type of clear game spread consisting of firmed and thickened game juice.

Preserves are sweetened games developed to the point where large chunks of game or whole games, such as endless runners, are suspended in a syrup base.

Chutney is a pungent relish made of gameplay, sound and graphics. Although originally intended to be played soon after production, modern chutneys are often made to be sold, so require preservatives – often DLC and multiplayer modes – to ensure they have a suitable shelf life.

Butter, in this context, refers to a process where the whole game is forced through a sieve or blended after the development process.

Marmalade is a game preserve made from the juice and peel of real games, watered down and boiled with sweetener. Marmalade is generally distinguished from Jam by its game peel.

There are other kinds of game jams with various regional definitions, but they are outside the scope of this post.

Would any one actually be interested in teaming up to do this? It seems super rad for a jam.

I make art and stuff; if that helps.

I too would be totally into teaming up to make something. I was planning on writing something in twine with a little music but if I can lend my music/sound help to anyone (or if anyone wanted in on my dumb thing) then that'd be sweet. Lil sample of a warmup track I've been working on: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19116875/ls_wip1.mp3

Cyberpunk is best -punk.

I wouldn't know how to make sound or music if I tried, except using my iphone and yelling in it. The more I think about it, I'm going to at least try making *something* for this jam, even if it is just me poking at game maker, so yeah, I'd totally like to team up and get some rad sound.

Anyway, for a small example of what I can do in gamemaker and pixel art, I made a tiny game in game maker during a 2-3 day jam. I've never made sprite art before or used game maker, so was super excited that I had something to "play" by the end. Tried a few simple styles out and posted it here: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/spriteart

While I do 3d professional, I'd prefer to stay away from it because, well, I do it that all day already. Not opposed to trying some smoother vector art though either, but I just get jazzed up about the nostalgia of pixels.

I really dig cyber punk, so looking to make something darker, grittier, and way more 80's.

I wouldn't know how to make sound or music if I tried, except using my iphone and yelling in it. The more I think about it, I'm going to at least try making *something* for this jam, even if it is just me poking at game maker, so yeah, I'd totally like to team up and get some rad sound.

Anyway, for a small example of what I can do in gamemaker and pixel art, I made a tiny game in game maker during a 2-3 day jam. I've never made sprite art before or used game maker, so was super excited that I had something to "play" by the end. Tried a few simple styles out and posted it here: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/spriteart

While I do 3d professional, I'd prefer to stay away from it because, well, I do it that all day already. Not opposed to trying some smoother vector art though either, but I just get jazzed up about the nostalgia of pixels.

I really dig cyber punk, so looking to make something darker, grittier, and way more 80's.

This is dope, I really like your style! If you're into working together then so am I; feel free to PM me to avoid thread coagulation.

Let's all make games. Everyone. All of us. Games. Jam. Jamming. Jamming games in the game jam. Cool.

This starts in just under 24 hours!

My girlfriend and I may use it as a way to learn some Unity basics - the fact that it's 10 days and can be done at home (bit less rigid than the Global jam) should make it more likely that we don't bail this time!

Theme image has been decided! This was the one I voted for so I'm pretty stoked. Better get twine fired up. Again, if anyone is interested in getting some bespoke music or sound then hit me up.

W14RBVt.jpg

Does anyone remember what the word/phrase associated with that image was? I don't see it on the page now. Something about height or verticality, I think?

I think it was just height but the site itself just says that the requirement is "based on the theme image" so I wouldn't worry too much.

OH. If I'd known we were voting on the image I might have gone for something else!

Yeah so I guess Height won, going to have a think on this, I was hoping for more of the mundane words, but who knows, this is still cool. The obvious thing that comes to mind is a samurai gunn style game with a super tall area, so I won't be doing that.

Is this a general game jam thread or Cyber Jam specific?

Because if it's not the 7-Day Roguelike Challenge is happening March 8th - 16th! I'm gonna try that one, I think.

http://7drl.org/

"Based on theme image" makes me think that what I make has to include what's happening in the picture. Am I wrong here?

OH. If I'd known we were voting on the image I might have gone for something else!

Hrrm. Yeah.