Ben X

Game Jams

Looks awesome! But, is it even possible for cyber-punk to be "too over-the-top"?

I mean in comparison to the rest of the art, which is fairly subdued. 

but it'd give me a chance to do akira lights which is maybe too tempting to pass up

7k05Xcr.png

I too would be totally into teaming up to make something. I was planning on writing something in twine with a little music but if I can lend my music/sound help to anyone (or if anyone wanted in on my dumb thing) then that'd be sweet. Lil sample of a warmup track I've been working on: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19116875/ls_wip1.mp3

Cyberpunk is best -punk.

That music is sick. I just finished a project, and I figure I could get another one in before GDC, so I'll probably wind up making it for that jam. If you wanna toss me some tunes or collaborate, let me know! 

Anyway, I'm with SecretAsianman in that I though of Reckless Disrgard for Gravity at first too, but I use Game Maker so I won't be doing 3D. Now I'm thinking of a platformer with a Gunpoint style charge-leap, but instead of pouncing on dudes you would send them flying off ledges. I could never get gravity and all those collisions to work properly in a game that wasn't top-down.

Also, I'm not a great artist. Really, I can program decent enough, and I can design. I'm down to lend my services!

That music is sick. I just finished a project, and I figure I could get another one in before GDC, so I'll probably wind up making it for that jam. If you wanna toss me some tunes or collaborate, let me know!

Hell yeah, whatever works for you man! DM me if you have something in mind.

Now I'm thinking of a platformer with a Gunpoint style charge-leap, but instead of pouncing on dudes you would send them flying off ledges.

:clap:

I mean in comparison to the rest of the art, which is fairly subdued. 

but it'd give me a chance to do akira lights which is maybe too tempting to pass up

I don't know about you but that sounds friggin sweet to me.

Bunch of cool ideas in this thread!

Anyway, I'm with SecretAsianman in that I though of Reckless Disrgard for Gravity at first too, but I use Game Maker so I won't be doing 3D. Now I'm thinking of a platformer with a Gunpoint style charge-leap, but instead of pouncing on dudes you would send them flying off ledges. I could never get gravity and all those collisions to work properly in a game that wasn't top-down.

Also, I'm not a great artist. Really, I can program decent enough, and I can design. I'm down to lend my services!

What if your character is falling, debris and enemies are falling with you, faster/slower rate because of whatever reason. Using that gunpoint style snap/jump mechanic you jump from debris to debris to keep "elevated" or else you'll eventually hit the ground. As you snap to the debris before jumping, you can line up your shot in bullet time to either more debris or an enemy, latching onto the enemy where combat will be initiated (mash on a button? QTE? Something cooler?).

As for game designs that spring to mind, AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! – A Reckless Disregard for Gravity was the first thing I thought of.  Seems like it could be easily cyber punked, in some ways it already is.

http://www.maximum-extreme.com/careen/careen.html

Yeeeeeep.

I'm pretty happy with how this is going, though I have some performance issues with all the objects reacting to music. I also can't seem to position to big green wavy guy correctly at the moment, but I suspect I'll think of a solution as I'm falling asleep or in the shower. Once that's working I'd like to spawn more of them as you go, and increase the players acceleration a bit so it's a bit more difficult.

What if your character is falling, debris and enemies are falling with you, faster/slower rate because of whatever reason. Using that gunpoint style snap/jump mechanic you jump from debris to debris to keep "elevated" or else you'll eventually hit the ground. As you snap to the debris before jumping, you can line up your shot in bullet time to either more debris or an enemy, latching onto the enemy where combat will be initiated (mash on a button? QTE? Something cooler?).

Oh man, that sounds pretty great. Enemies could have guns, and you'd have to use the falling debris as cover. Also, use it to sneak up behind them for an easier fight/no fight at all... That probably wouldn't be tooo hard to program. Just collision lines between enemies and the player, with a bunch of solid object debris moving at fixed random speeds... I'm not sure what the combat would be like - maybe it's just "physics" and you want to push guys into debris and/or the sides of buildings or whatever.

Okay, well I want to do this. Murdoc, boy, you guys down? Anyone else?

And Dino, I tried to play that but it ran at like 5 seconds per frame. That intro/tutorial area really drew me in too...

Dino, it played well on my ninja PC, but I found it damn difficult! Perhaps make it more of a tunnel to start with so the player can get used to the set up? (Also, I couldn't read the whiteboard instructions because it was too dark, so all I did was click on platforms to get the blue arrow to pull me in so I could pass through orbs.)

(Also, I couldn't read the whiteboard instructions because it was too dark, so all I did was click on platforms to get the blue arrow to pull me in so I could pass through orbs.)

You got it then :) I'll see about making it a little brighter, I probably ought to take a look at things on another computer before assuming they're perfect. It hadn't occurred to me to change the number of buildings as you fall, but starting with more buildings when you're moving slower and decreasing it as you fall faster might be a really elegant solution to both my performance issues when you're going fast, and wanting more ways to increase the difficulty as you go. Thanks for the suggestion!

And Dino, I tried to play that but it ran at like 5 seconds per frame. That intro/tutorial area really drew me in too...

Yeah...performance has been a big issue for me, and is something I'll hopefully have some time to work on. There are about 50 TV screens, each with 30ish cubes on them, resizing constantly to mimic the audio waveform, plus another 50 showing scrolling green text. So that's probably overkill, since you're just flying by them anyway and can't read them at all. I have a few ideas, but depending on how busy I am I might just cut the number of screens/cubes down and find another more efficient way of making the environment feel like it's reacting to the music, possibly by pulsing some of the neon beams on the buildings.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm relatively new to this whole "showing people what you're making" thing, so it's super valuable to hear anything about what isn't working. 

Oh man, that sounds pretty great. Enemies could have guns, and you'd have to use the falling debris as cover. Also, use it to sneak up behind them for an easier fight/no fight at all... That probably wouldn't be tooo hard to program. Just collision lines between enemies and the player, with a bunch of solid object debris moving at fixed random speeds... I'm not sure what the combat would be like - maybe it's just "physics" and you want to push guys into debris and/or the sides of buildings or whatever.

Okay, well I want to do this. Murdoc, boy, you guys down? Anyone else?

Yeah I think I can probably do that in game maker, I mean we're starting late for the jam and I'm pretty crunched at work and next weekend. But it sounds like a cool enough idea to do for the intentions of the jam, or just prototype for ourselves.

So yeah, I'm down.

I love the idea of enemies shooting and using the debris as cover, so when you snap to the cover you can rotate 360 degrees. Though this is getting complex so maybe it turns out to be turned based, almost flotilla like? I dunno, lets try it and see!

Yeah I think I can probably do that in game maker, I mean we're starting late for the jam and I'm pretty crunched at work and next weekend. But it sounds like a cool enough idea to do for the intentions of the jam, or just prototype for ourselves.

So yeah, I'm down.

I love the idea of enemies shooting and using the debris as cover, so when you snap to the cover you can rotate 360 degrees. Though this is getting complex so maybe it turns out to be turned based, almost flotilla like? I dunno, lets try it and see!

I too am down; this is a really interesting design. I like the idea of it being Flotilla-like. Having the game come to dead stop/slow motion when the player is giving inputs and then fast paced when things are actually happening could be a way to improve the plausibility of the concept just in terms of how far the fall is too (even though the concept is inherently a little ridiculous).

I haven't played Flotilla, but judging by some YouTube videos, it seems pretty simple. Should be pretty cool...

I wish I had know about this jam earlier :/ I'll be working a day job the next couple days but I'll be able to work on it at night. I'm actually about to get started right now :3

Do you guys have Skype or something? We should probably nail everything down before it's too late, and we probably shouldn't usurp this thread in the process

http://www.maximum-extreme.com/careen/careen.html

Yeeeeeep.

I'm pretty happy with how this is going, though I have some performance issues with all the objects reacting to music. I also can't seem to position to big green wavy guy correctly at the moment, but I suspect I'll think of a solution as I'm falling asleep or in the shower. Once that's working I'd like to spawn more of them as you go, and increase the players acceleration a bit so it's a bit more difficult.

I enjoyed it. I don't have much more to say about it.

REMINDER:

Also, concurrently, the Procedural Death Jam, if you want to make something rougelike-like that's not technically a roguelike: http://proceduraldeathjam.com/

I don't know if the 7DRL challenge is super strict about the definition of a roguelike as far as entries go though. The 'Berlin Interpretation' is kind of weird. You could also enter both game jams with the same game!

So Drew has a cool prototype going already and I'm just getting back into making sprites, so a bit of relearning going on. Right now just doodling at lunch.

doodle.jpg

Also, concurrently, the Procedural Death Jam, if you want to make something rougelike-like that's not technically a roguelike: http://proceduraldeathjam.com/

I don't know if the 7DRL challenge is super strict about the definition of a roguelike as far as entries go though. The 'Berlin Interpretation' is kind of weird. You could also enter both game jams with the same game!

I plan on doing this. Gonna be my first game jam.  I want to make a somewhat traditional roguelike where you're a space scavenger, "dungeons" being derelict ships and other space leftovers. .

I originally posted this in "Idle Banter", because I'm a noob and completely missed this board :S

Hey Thumbs / Readers

I thought about putting this in the "Plug your shit" thread, if it should go there instead, please let me know.

Way, way back in ep 130 (around the 49min mark), Chris and Zach had a pretty passionate discussion about Pubilc Domain stories, and Chris lamented that fact that for the most part, new stories and characters just won't be added to the Public Domain any more because of copyright extending beyond the heat death of the universe.

Well, there's no reason we can't celebrate the stories that are. An idea formed listening to that ep, and it's been stuck in my head since then. Because I'm assuming that people here on the forums care not only about games, but about stories. So I'm proud to announce it here:

The Public Domain Jam

It's a while off, but I thought it'd give people time to think about what stories are important to them and how to retell them.

Also, there's a category for the craziest use of the source material, and if ANYONE can come up with something totally insane for this, it's you guys.

The original post

On a related note, I was thinking if we did a small, Idle Thumbs-themed game jam during some point.

Both excellent ideas!

Really excited about Public Domain Jam! Great idea! I hope I'll have time to make something for it. :o

Toronto's biggest (and oldest) game jam is happening next weekend.  TOJam 9 had 500 people sign up in 3 days of registration.  Anyways, I'm going to be there with a team of 6 or 7 people, and I'll post some progress pics.