Ben X

Game Jams

"Based on theme image" makes me think that what I make has to include what's happening in the picture. Am I wrong here?

I think it's fairly open to interpretation. Vibe is everything, right?

Is this a general game jam thread or Cyber Jam specific?

I future-proofed the thread by giving it a general title!

Agreed. It doesn't even have to be about height any more, I reckon, just inspired by that image.

Agreed. It doesn't even have to be about height any more, I reckon, just inspired by that image.

Cool. Thanks for the responses.

I too would be totally into teaming up to make something. I was planning on writing something in twine with a little music but if I can lend my music/sound help to anyone (or if anyone wanted in on my dumb thing) then that'd be sweet. Lil sample of a warmup track I've been working on: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19116875/ls_wip1.mp3

Cyberpunk is best -punk.

this is cool!  Is there any software you'd recommend that someone with 0 (zero) musical knowledge could fire up and try to make some noises?

I did start makin' some art though! The style I wanted to experiment with doesn't look a whole lot like cyberpunk, but I'm not a huge fan of cyberpunk anyway  :getmecoat

NcYLF1J.jpg

edit; wow those wheels are lumpy how did I not notice that

this is cool!  Is there any software you'd recommend that someone with 0 (zero) musical knowledge could fire up and try to make some noises?

I like your art mockup! Sweet vibe/palette. If you mean like, noises noises (sound effects), as3sfxr is a real popular 8 bit-sounding synth engine that's pretty straightforward to get cool sounds out of, even blindly. If you mean music then that's a little tougher for me to recommend since I've pretty much always had some kind of musical knowledge (as asshole-ish as it sounds). Garageband is really straightforward if you're on a Mac (though something tells me that's not likely on this forum). Reaper is cool and sort of free, but I'd imagine it'd be a little intimidating without any prior knowledge of recording or music. Sorry I can't be of more help. I'd offer my services but if you're looking to do things off your own back then more power to you; good hunting!

I like your art mockup! Sweet vibe/palette. If you mean like, noises noises (sound effects), as3sfxr is a real popular 8 bit-sounding synth engine that's pretty straightforward to get cool sounds out of, even blindly. If you mean music then that's a little tougher for me to recommend since I've pretty much always had some kind of musical knowledge (as asshole-ish as it sounds). Garageband is really straightforward if you're on a Mac (though something tells me that's not likely on this forum). Reaper is cool and sort of free, but I'd imagine it'd be a little intimidating without any prior knowledge of recording or music. Sorry I can't be of more help. I'd offer my services but if you're looking to do things off your own back then more power to you; good hunting!

thanks! and ya, if I'm a little vague it's because I'm not sure what I want -- though I was thinking something that'd let me put together a simple background track. I've been really into stuff made with vocal samples lately (like

) though I've got no illusions about how complex something like that is to make.

as3sfxr seems rad tho, I'll see if I can make any cool sounds with it. Reaper looks like a nightmarish maelstrom of knobs and sliders and things, but is probably more what I'm looking for, so I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what I can make of it.

Wha! There are loads of Mac users on these forums, I think..

Reaper looks pretty awesome! I'm no musician guy but that looks like it could be fun to mess with! And only $60 if you end up wanting to buy it.

Since you don't have any music experience, try Audiotool with the Tonematrix tool. You literally cannot hit any wrong notes. Watch this to get an example of what you can do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJifgHNBKgg (haven't posted a YT vid in a while so I forgot how to do it. sorry.)

While I'm sure you could get someone here to make something like you posted (*cough cough hrmm* me *cough*), it's a neat thing if you want to try it out yourself.

Maybe this all should be split off into an audio/music resources thread?

My girlfriend and I are trying to take part in this jam, but we're also using it to teach ourselves the basics of Unity (and maybe some other stuff like Blender - eek!) from scratch, so we may not end up with much... In my head it's Prey 2, but we might manage Thomas Was Alone 3D...

EDIT: ok, some major family issues have come up, so we're now very unlikely to get anything done this week. You know that shit Love Actually film? Well, we're Laura Linney and this game is the sexy guy from LOST who wears little black pants.

Maybe this all should be split off into an audio/music resources thread?

Yeah, sorry for the off-topic stuff.

I have what I think is an at least passable story outline for my twine game. I've made a start on actually getting it written so I guess I'm actually doing this thing. How odd.

Was there ever a scene in a game or movie where two people have fallen off a ledge and are fighting in mid air, and they're both trying to maneuver the other person into a position where they'll hit the ground first and break their fall?

That's what immediately comes to mind for this, but I have a nagging feeling that I've seen it done before...

Was there ever a scene in a game or movie where two people have fallen off a ledge and are fighting in mid air, and they're both trying to maneuver the other person into a position where they'll hit the ground first and break their fall?

That's what immediately comes to mind for this, but I have a nagging feeling that I've seen it done before...

I dunno about it having been done before but that sounds pretty dope.

Gunpoint's last level does this. They talked about it during the Tone Control with Tom Francis. Maybe you heard it there?

Gunpoint's last level does this. They talked about it during the Tone Control with Tom Francis. Maybe you heard it there?

Grargh, you're right! 

ok, some major family issues have come up, so we're now very unlikely to get anything done this week. You know that shit Love Actually film? Well, we're Laura Linney and this game is the sexy guy from LOST who wears little black pants.

Sympathies, man. Hope everything turns out okay.

Thanks dude. It's an ongoing thing but it's flared up this week in terms of time and energy required.

Yeah that was my immediate thought for some sort of design. As sad as my next reference is, I pictured it as a competitive flappy bird but scrolling down.

I think there's a scene like this in the movie Point Break, except it involves fighting over a parachute rather than making the other person a cushion.

As for game designs that spring to mind, AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! – A Reckless Disregard for Gravity was the first thing I thought of.  Seems like it could be easily cyber punked, in some ways it already is.

progress update a few days in!

still haven't messed with sound, but I got quite a bit done. City gen + parallax while you travel:

s6aHAIn.gif

though I just realized I drew a bunch of clouds+smog and forgot to add them.

a little bit of UI is in:

eWUcPY3.jpg

and I was messing around with the motorcycle. The lightwheels feel way more cyberpunk, but I'm trying to decide if it'd be too over-the-top compared to everything else:

CvBs38q.gif

Looks awesome! But, is it even possible for cyber-punk to be "too over-the-top"?

Great work. I'm always impressed by what you post. Keep it up!