subbes

The Idle Thumbs 10th Anniversary Committee

Hey, I think I'll try for the Nick Breckon painting. Is that okay Blambo or have you already started?

Also, Toblix, is that the Duck decision in Walking Dead?

Hey, sorry for not posting earlier but I've started a Nick Breckon. But you could do one too!

I was thinking of just calling it Breckonhandler or something dumb, unless someone could think of a good name for a posh early 19th century portrait of him

Really really happy at everything, haha. Thanks to subbes for everything so far!

How about Nick Breckon's disembodied head floating above a Sim City 2000 cityscape. He has a distressed look on his face and is thinking "She knows" as he shoots a glance towards the window behind him.

(I may be mis-remembering Nick's story about the neighbor person accusing him of going home to play Sim City)

A portrait of Nick in the style of Joseph Ducreux would be delightful.

Actually

I was thinking of putting him in stark lighting and a german military uniform and calling it "die uberweinhandler"

just wanted to run this by everyone because the joke potential of this portrait seems too high to mess it up

EDIT:

I've already done a lot of art for this, so I think it'd be best to have another person try at Nick. But if no one would like to commit to a Nick by subbes' deadline, I'll make one

Still insist Nick have at least one finger to the onlookers IE

Finger__People__02__by_manverustock.jpg?

Either way, great work all for this... uhhhhh. Supremely weird and creepy troll. And that's said with full approval.

If I had artistic talent I'd paint Nick Breckon wearing the clothes Machiavelli wore in that famous painting of him that's on Wikipedia, but he's in the Weinhandler pose, but instead of holding a wine glass he's holding a holographic display of a Neptune's Pride game. Instead I'm probably going to draw a shitty Nick on a piece of printer paper and mail it, once I remember to steal printer paper from my office.

Either way, great work all for this... uhhhhh. Supremely weird and creepy troll. And that's said with full approval.

How is this trolling? 

Trolling would imply that the people working on this are doing it in spite or to blatantly annoy the Idle Thumbs guys. I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Spork has the right idea, I guess.

"Trolling" as a word has lost all meaning. It used to mean something bad, then people started using it over-zealously as an insult any time they didn't like a sarcastic person, and now "troll" basically just means "to do a thing."

"Trolling" as a word has lost all meaning. It used to mean something bad, then people started using it over-zealously as an insult any time they didn't like a sarcastic person, and now "troll" basically just means "to do a thing."

I would narrow the meaning down to Trolling: Verb. An action taken upon an intended victim(s) in order to elicit a specific, to the troll(ers) intentionally comical response. This action may or may not elicit an negative emotional response from the victim. Synonym: Prank.

Not that I'd call it a "prank" necessarily, but a close synonym. For example, this is generally accepted as "trolling" now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsA4qm0wmHc

It's not exactly shitty, but it does have a kind of victim. I'd consider getting a bizarre giant painting of myself in the mail both amusing and a bit weird at the very least.

I'd consider getting a bizarre giant painting of myself in the mail both amusing and a bit weird at the very least.

Maybe it's just because I'm poor as dirt, but receiving an expensive gift as a way of celebrating my achievements and popularity is about as far from trolling as I can imagine.

I definitely still take it to mean something shitty

Yeah pretty much.

Maybe it's just because I'm poor as dirt, but receiving an expensive gift as a way of celebrating my achievements and popularity is about as far from trolling as I can imagine.

But when the expensive gift, and these things are damned expensive, is a bizarre painting of ones self in a style that no one but a madman would ever actually consider getting done? Like, if it was candy then it wouldn't be trolling, and I do use that word lightly. Or a car. But not the aforementioned.

As project manager for the Idle Thumbs 10th Anniversary Weird Thing Committee, I hereby take advantage of my position to rule that it's an act of appreciation, commemoration and joy, not trolling.  

:)

As project manager for the Idle Thumbs 10th Anniversary Weird Thing Committee, I hereby take advantage of my position to rule that it's an act of appreciation, commemoration and joy, not trolling.  

:)

Bah, I still insist you old people are behind the times. Trolling can have a sub meaning of not being shitty, because that's the way some people use it now whether you like it or not! You can't undo the evolution of language, Stephen Fry himself won't have it, and you wouldn't want to disappoint this face now would you?

stephenfry.jpg

I thought not. Obviously this was done with the intention of the thumbs guys getting the joke, which is not in the usual spirit of trolling. But then the video I linked showed even dumbass xbox live Call of Duty kids can get a joke that's in the literative description of "trolling". So trolling it could be considered, and would be by some! Therefore and thus that is the only requirement of a words usage to be correct. Though that it failed so hard, in an admittedly small sample size, suggests it may not be the primary meaning. Therefore I acquiesce to the aforementioned meaning of trolling as coming after and secondary to "intentionally antagonistic shittiness on the intertubes".

Yes, I would love to do it, but have no time (and no funny ideas!)

Do it Blambo, you know it'll be awesome!