tegan

Lego is Still Cool

LEGO story #3: I was running a tournament for something called " Chime Speedorz", they are kinda like bey blades but you race them. So I was trying to wrangle some kids for this tourny and there was this one family that would always sign up, except the youngest sibling who was five. I finally convinced her to take part in the tourny but there was this fourteen year old kid who showed up and was kinda acting like a prick about his knowledge of chima and his speedorz skills. He kept interrupting me when I was trying to explain the rules to pitch his fan fiction, he was the worst. Anyways after some weird races and some upset kids the grand final ended up being the fourteen year old and the five year old. Since she was five I gave her some help, I let her pull the chord that spins the wheel to make the thing go and since I was pretty good at the speedorz after playing with them for eight hours a day for a month the five year old ended up winning. The other kid lost his mind and walked around the store kick shelves and swearing, I kinda felt bad for him.

LEGO story #4: When the LEGO Movie came out the company paid for us to all go see it together as well as have a fancy dinner, but for the whole month of the movies release "Everything is awesome" played every fifteen minutes all day every day. It played so often that my brain started interpreting it as white noise and sometimes I literally couldn't hear it anymore. 

Wait, I must be old, but what are these Chima Speedorz things? Like was it a pinewood derby kinda build your own thing, or just racing the pre-designed sets? Are they actually remote controllable in some way?

Wait, I must be old, but what are these Chima Speedorz things? Like was it a pinewood derby kinda build your own thing, or just racing the pre-designed sets? Are they actually remote controllable in some way?

They're little pull-cord one-wheeled racer things.

The lady scientist set is so neat! It doesn't offer a lot in terms of an interesting build,  but conceptually I love everything about it.

Just last week I built the Ecto-1 and it is great. What a sterling set. It looks exactly like the movie, the Ghostbusters all have a unique torso with their names on them, and they even created this cool podium for them to stand on. At 50 euros it's relatively expensive, but so worth it. I'm considering getting a second. Lego should do a full line of sets based on Ghostbusters.

My daughter just built this all by herself. Pretty impressive at four. The instruction booklets have really improved from when I was a kid.

IMG_20141106_224632.jpg

Unfortunately the kids at her birthday party only bought her the girly lego boxes which are just abysmal. A double-normal-size girly doll, and a bunch of tiny pink blocks plus maybe a horsy. Super disappointing.

Gaaf! Dat vliegtuigje ziet eruit alsof het meteen op kan stijgen. Well done teaching your kids the virtues of Lego!

So I wasn't gonna buy more Lego until my first paycheck at my new job, but then I went to a department store that had it for 20-30% cheaper than what I usually see, so I ended up with a nice load, including the Avengers set that has M.O.D.O.K., two of the mini Star Wars ships, and a certain motherfuckin' minifig:

Eii5TM3.jpg

I found another discount, essentially letting me grab minifigs for half price:

z13U85d.jpg

Why o why was that the one I got double?

Switch Athena's body with one of the gamers and then you suddenly have three gamers.

Silly dibs, girl Lego aren't allowed to be gamers.

In fact, one of the ones I'm missing is the prospector, and he has a big neckbeard. I'm thinking if I take the body of the gamer, the neckbeard, and the fedora of the swashbuckler, I suddenly have a Gamergater.

I am officially working at LEGO again fulltime, I am back baby.

Anyways the new 2015 stuff is in and man it is rad

while playing Crossy Road this came up as an yesterday

Lego Fusion

I particularly really like the logo design, but suppose the concept is also pretty neat.  It reads to me like an appeal to people/kids who like the video game Lego world more than the real-life model building.  

Although the idea of buying a specific model kit & only getting to make a 2-D building profile to import seems kinda lame.  Maybe if they sold kits that gave an idea...or add your own bricks within a certain height/width parameter/template to really customize it.

Or make a full custom 3D model and take pictures from all angles and let the software digitize and rebuild inside the virtual world with blocks would be pretty slick.

One day...and if any company would figure it out - would certainly be Lego

Lego fusion is a expanded version of something they made called Life Of George.

LOG was the same idea but with 2d stickers, it is weird.