Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

It took 200 deaths, 8 normal victories and about 45 hours, but... I freaking finally beat Hell. And it was in today's daily as well!

Today's daily was really a crate bonanza. It was possibly the most optimal seed I've ever seen. The first crate was climbing gloves, I got over 60k gold before reaching the Black Market, there's the alien level in the ice caves, where I could swap my cape for the jetpack and there was a gun shop right next to the entrance to the Golden City. Plus, the Hell levels were pretty easy. In one of them, a single bomb would open a practically straight path from the entrance to the exit.

I am elated.

Had a great run. First time to spawn inside the maoi and get the weird hat. Sadly I didn't survive the damn alien.

Oops... I thought I could still retrieve the mattock, but I jumped into the ghost.

A pretty generous seed today, quite a few crates and some well-stocked bomb shops to plunder. I got the ankh in the black market, then lost it just one level later when trying to drop a sticky bomb on a shopkeep in a tricky position. Didn't blow myself up, but fell off the ledge into a hail of gunfire. Copped it again when trying to exploit a mine in the ice-caves. Should've listened to the sensible voice inside my head saying "what's the point? It could kill you!" rather than going with "heh, mines are fun when they go boom"

Did go that well for me. Lost the ahnk in the blackmarket because I screwed up a jump. After that it went down hill quite fast. The black market sucked a bit, no jetpack no gloves.

I don't understand how I died. I had 1 health left.

That is so weird. I thought maybe you still carried the momentum of the shopkeepers throw (despite floating) but it's only when you hit the second wall that you actually lose the hit point. 

Was doing okay, but only had two bombs by the time I got to the temple. I actually spoke in this one, but OBS mysteriously didn't record from my mic.

Highlights:

11:30: Weird bomb sound glitch, but it did only lay one.

29:35: Shopkeeper gets rid of my shotgun and almost kills me.

31:31: I wonder if I can fall past that crush trap…

32:00: Weird shotgun glitch. I die trying to get it back.

What a way to lose a jetpack!  :( Also, it seemed bit stingy on bombs today, though I was wasteful of those I had. Probably could have left the black market with an extra 3 - 4 if I'd been smarter about it.

(I have done a few other dailies recently, but didn't upload because they were short, crap, and the deaths weren't even funny).

This seed was as generous with altars as it was stingy with bombs. Even still, I thought I was doing pretty well right up until those god damned climbing gloves stuck me to a wall next to a thwomp. I made sure to let the game know how I felt by yelling at it loud enough to blow out my mic.

I did my first daily in a while today.  I didn't manage my bombs well and couldn't get the eye, so I only had 1 bomb and 9 ropes from 1-3 to the end.  I got to Olmec, but a dumb error on my part ended with me getting squished.  On the plus side, all my practice at robbing shopkeepers paid off and I didn't have to spend anything to get the jetpack and a shotgun.

Same here, dearth of bombs meant I couldn't get the eye. It didn't matter, because I was being way too reckless in the jungle and jumped in front of a boomerang tribal. Ended just a couple of thousand short of Hammerpants

Knowing this daily was a dupe of 1/8, and knowing I missed the eye on 1/8 due to a lack of bombs, I played this one trying to minimize bomb usage. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it past the shopkeeper at the end of 1-3.

Missed the black market because of lack of bombs. But did managed to get all the way to the temple to check out what the idol trap does there. Now I know what the trap does.