tegan

Let's Draw Video Games

Dave, can I assume that you also dislike Yoshi as much as I do? 'Cause that is one feral-lookin' Yoshi.

What a way to start off! You got 300 likes/reblogs on that. :o

Aproaching 500 now. :crazy:

I liked this a lot more as the lineart drawing, but it was good to get the painting practice in. At least I'll know a bit about what not to do next time...

Of8f0R2.jpg

Everyone on the Idle Thumbs forum is secretly an amazing artist, apparently. Wtf guys. I can't even draw stick men properly.

It's just a matter of getting a lot of practice, and always trying to look at life with the eyes of an artist.

The practice is the hard part. ):

I'm going to start drawing one thing a day and it will be glorious awful.

Everyone on the Idle Thumbs forum is secretly an amazing artist, apparently. Wtf guys. I can't even draw stick men properly.

I want to see these improperly drawn stick men. Make sure there are some floating platforms and some power-ups to keep in relevant to the thread though.

ya your rendering needs work hehe. The biggest problem is the sense of light+value. Quick checklist: Its typically a bad idea to have a background darker then the foreground.  Areas directly lit by the glowin thing should essentially be left white paper. And you need to throw on ya angriest eyebrows & go way bolder with the colors. Splash it in there with gusto!! Its almost impossible to go too saturated, and even if you do it'll look way arty.

I quickly photoshopped it to be more in line with the vibe from your monochrome drawings (which are really rad!) here  The lighting is still off without some redrawing, and I accidentally deleted the stalactites in the background,  but hopefully it helps

Dave, can I assume that you also dislike Yoshi as much as I do? 'Cause that is one feral-lookin' Yoshi.

I don't know about 'dislike', seeing as Yoshi (especially Yoshi's Island) was kind of a childhood staple.

On the one hand Yoshi is cute as hell, on the other, well... he's a carnivorous all-consuming dinosaur who shits eggs. 

toblix

why are you exploding ups

post-27841-0-10958300-1373920432_thumb.jpg

Sonic in a speedboat. I gave him a perm and some sweet tats, also a moustache and beard. I call it "the later years"

ya your rendering needs work hehe. The biggest problem is the sense of light+value. Quick checklist: Its typically a bad idea to have a background darker then the foreground.  Areas directly lit by the glowin thing should essentially be left white paper. And you need to throw on ya angriest eyebrows & go way bolder with the colors. Splash it in there with gusto!! Its almost impossible to go too saturated, and even if you do it'll look way arty.

I quickly photoshopped it to be more in line with the vibe from your monochrome drawings (which are really rad!) here  The lighting is still off without some redrawing, and I accidentally deleted the stalactites in the background,  but hopefully it helps

I don't really have an issue with the back/foreground, but you're right about the values, need to be pushed further.  Not sure how you typically work Tegan, but maybe trying to render the drawing without the linework may help with pushing for more contrast, since you won't really have line to rely on to define form and space.

Haaaaahahaha oh god those Mario and Yoshi pics above by Dave. Splendidly depressing.

I don't really have an issue with the back/foreground, but you're right about the values, need to be pushed further.  Not sure how you typically work Tegan, but maybe trying to render the drawing without the linework may help with pushing for more contrast, since you won't really have line to rely on to define form and space.

I definitely wish I could redo it with this stuff in mind, but it was a learning experience. I might paint it again digitally.

(it's been ages since I've painted and I mostly worked in acrylics when I did. Bluh)

watercolor is a big pain in the butt, never been a fan.  I'm most experienced with acrylic, somehow have avoided oils thus far.

Sweet. All ink, no photoshop?

Nah I'm lazy, I just mess with the levels on my scanned pencils until they look like half assed ink and then touch it up in photoshop, then it's also colored there too. I suck badly at traditional painting methods.

Nah I'm lazy, I just mess with the levels on my scanned pencils until they look like half assed ink and then touch it up in photoshop, then it's also colored there too. I suck badly at traditional painting methods.

That was my process when I did comics for my college newspaper, but they never looked half as good as yours do here. I guess that's the different that actual talent makes?

Well thanks! I think a lot of it is just cleaning up with the wacom to kind of make the outlines smooth enough, the Monkey Island stuff is a few years old has some line weight issues that make me cringe though.

I don't have any other video game related art besides this terrible Mario Flash cartoon I did in 2005 where Luigi does cocaine. It's the worst. I think I need to make some stuff for this thread that rivals the brilliance of toblix and his whiteboard mastery.

Wasn't going to post this, but I thought I'd try to take some of the pointers in this thread and give something a go:

knRPGOD.jpg

Light/shade I've always struggled with, so I thought I'd try to create something with no/very few lines, just tones. I only really posted this for feedback, so please tear it to shreds and tell me what I'm doing wrong! I think it's a pretty good representation of how I approach artwork at the moment and I'd like to improve! 

I like it! 

Positive:

I really like like the dynamism of the darker brushstrokes on the floor.

The scene is instantly recognisable.

Especially the horned demon's skull and axe are really well-defined for how few strokes  you needed.

Negative:

I'm not a fan of the light blur at the top, it contrasts too strongly with the quick, harsh brushwork, adding a note of artificiality that detracts from the whole.

I would have used a separate colour palette for the background and the horned demon. Now he melds into the background too much.

Super-minor quibbles

The position of the fireball on the hand isn't quite how I recall it in-game

It would have been awesome to have the fireball illuminate the right side of the character a bit.

cute!

Wasn't going to post this, but I thought I'd try to take some of the pointers in this thread and give something a go:

Light/shade I've always struggled with, so I thought I'd try to create something with no/very few lines, just tones. I only really posted this for feedback, so please tear it to shreds and tell me what I'm doing wrong! I think it's a pretty good representation of how I approach artwork at the moment and I'd like to improve! 

this is cool & has a lot of strong points.

osmosisch was spot on with the crits. I'd take it somewhere like this if you wanna piece of dat sotc vibe

cute!

this is cool & has a lot of strong points.

osmosisch was spot on with the crits. I'd take it somewhere like this if you wanna piece of dat sotc vibe

Guhh! Whoa! Whoa.

That is fuckin sweet. It's what I was aiming for but not able to achieve. Mind going into the process a little? Photoshop/tablet?

Totally agree with everything osmosisch says, I regretted that cheap glow as soon as I added it. 

Oh shit, cool, there's an art thread

Here's one of the pieces I'm donating to the Summer Games Done Quick speedrun charity marathon thing that's coming up. Colored pencil and ink layered between a crapload of clear gesso, on wood. Love me some fluorescent colors...

doomguy-jun27.jpg