Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 107: GIANTBOMB.COM

Idle Thumbs 107:

399__header.jpg

GIANTBOMB.COM

As the lights fade and the noise recedes from yesterday's Xbox One announcement, the space left in its wake fills with ideas and dreams, yes, but also... loss? A gnawing unfilled place inside you, left wanting. When you're finally sure you're alone, at the quietest point of the night, you turn to your TV, whisper "Xbox... show me J. Allard," and hope. Giant Bomb's Ryan Davis joins us as we unpack the Xbox One reveal, venture beneath Moscow in Metro Last Light, and gaze into the eyes of Allard one final time.

Things Discussed: Xbox One, Slender: The Eight Pages, Metro: Last Light, Metro 2033, Dishonored, StarCraft II, J. Allard

The world of video game podcasts has become some weird human centipede-y mashup and I'm sort of scared.

"I'm a wizard and that looks fucked up" versus "WizzaaAAaard" (edit: or shitty wizard, either way)

"Scoops" versus "Hot Scoops"

edit2: both casts even have their own respective dota fiends.

So much beef material to be mined here, I will be disappoint if it is not brought up at all.

I'm only 50 minutes in, but this might be my favourite episode since Horse Bag.

I just started listening but I'm so pleased for two things.

1) Chris' genuine reactions to the XBone is great.

2) I'm not the only one who has been saying of the XBone that it looks like a VCR.

I'm with Jake, I actually like how it looks.

It makes me feel badass to have a big square hunk of metal with vents all over as part of my entertainment system. I try to keep it polished but fucking cats.

I'm with Jake, I actually like how it looks.

It makes me feel badass to have a big square hunk of metal with vents all over as part of my entertainment system. I try to keep it polished but fucking cats.

Is this about your junk again

Is this about your junk again

Sorry to disappoint but the moratorium is still in effect.

I... do not like the way the XBox looks. It seems like each surface has a different texture which gives it a weird ugly patchwork look to my eyes, though that could just be the pictures I'm looking at.

Also, I was kind of hoping you guys would talk about Nintendo's bizarre decision to drink Let's Players' milkshakes. I wrote a bit about it earlier this week, since it's something I'm pissed off enough about that I'd like the word to get out.

I would actually direct people to Retsupurae's comments on that Nintendo thing (they have a podcast they host via YouTube in addition to their other content). They have pretty much the most accurate approach to the whole subject.

so who else actually tried giantbomb.net?

I was pleased.

CUqchSQ.jpg

Taking bets on poorly conceived ad run based on, "Remember the 5th of November."

I think the movie Chris was trying to reference* was Robin & Marian, where Sean Connery plays an aging Robin Hood opposite Robert Shaw's aging Sheriff of Nottingham. Fucking amazing movie if you ever get the chance to see it, probably Richard Lester's best.

And according to his Wikipedia, the last thing J Allard did was a "private sale outdoor and active lifestyle network" called The Clymb? Weird.

*I have no idea if Chris was trying to reference this, but I never miss an opportunity to recommend it because it is so so good.