lumberbaron

Steam Trading Card

Thar she bloooows! Harpoons thrust in the sky, aim directly for his crooked brow, and look him straight in the eye!

I didn't know this thing existed until the summer sale started. I guess it was an opt-in thing until now?

It was in beta up until a few weeks before the summer sales, but yea, if you didn't look for it, it's likely you wouldn't have found it.

so, these are the people who buy all those badges

It's become very noticeable that the getaway cards are decreasing in value every day. Where I once got 30 cents for them, now they're worth half of that. Shame, but it was only a matter of time, I guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go up to much higher than 30 in the long run, given that they will become stuff collectors want eventually.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I've made about 2,50 euros so far, which is pretty neat considering it cost me no effort at all.

I know nothing about all this shit but I have a Steam account that I hardly ever use with a whole bunch of old games. Can I cash in?!

I know nothing about all this shit but I have a Steam account that I hardly ever use with a whole bunch of old games. Can I cash in?!

You might have to wait a bit depending on how long you've been inactive. I tried to sell all of my cards the other day and it wouldn't let me do so until 30 days had passed since my first Steam purchase last month. Prior to that I hadn't purchased anything on Steam in over a year and a half so I guess they expect some level of activity and a 30 day waiting period or something. 

I made 0.80€

This is much more boring than the time I discovered I could sell my severed max head for millions*!

* IIRC I got three new AAA games or so.

It's become very noticeable that the getaway cards are decreasing in value every day. Where I once got 30 cents for them, now they're worth half of that. Shame, but it was only a matter of time, I guess.

I think the market's bottomed out for the Steam Summer Sale trading cards as of this afternoon. Most of them are going for ten or fifteen US cents, which is marginal as far as I'm concerned. I'll hoard them in hopes the price goes up when everyone decides to start crafting their summer badges.

I find it kind of humorous that while everybody is idling all their games to get cards, Valve has recently updated TF2 to prevent players from abusing the drop system by sitting idle, something that's been going on for literal years.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Didn't Valve already fight this battle, in some other part of its massive, invisible innards? I guess, since there's no metagame or community surrounding trading cards, there's no reason to penalize idling, but it's still very odd.

I just don't understand why they're bothering now. For years people have been idling in TF2 and (in some cases) making money by doing so. What's prompted it to happen now? So weird.

I would venture a guess it was purely a technological barrier that they finally broke through. When you implement something like this they have to be absolutely sure it can't be exploited further, and that it wont accidentally trip up anyone actually playing the game.

That, or nobody at Valve felt like working on it until now.

I really don't think there was anything preventing them from implementing what they did here. "If you don't interact with the game, you don't get drops." That's essentially what it amounts to, as well as not allowing external programs, which is something they already disallow/detect/punish anyway.

I think maybe they were waiting until the big update a couple weeks ago because there were a number of other issues with various maps/weapons/balance and they wanted to fix everything all at once, although why it took them this long to fix those problems too I can't say.

That's a little more fair, I think. The TF2 team is a lot smaller than it used to be. I think it was mostly devoted just to making the new weapons work.