lumberbaron

Steam Trading Card

A month later and they haven't really changed much so I guess my faith in Valve to improve flawed things over time has been SHOT. DOWN.

Oh well.

The only thing that has changed is that there are more games with cards. But other than that, it's terrible. I sold a bunch of cards on the market place. With that "money" I bought the missing cards to craft the Trine 2 badge (only needs 5 cards, and you get 3 drops). I received a wallpaper, an emoticon, and a coupon. After that, I can collect the same Trine 2 cards to craft another badge. Except, the only way to get cards is marketplace or trading. There are no "drops".

Also, the drops are stupid. Just start the game, go away for an hour or 2, and you've received all drops.

Dear lord, I got a friend invite from some person who I had no mutual friends and the only group we shared was the Trading Card group.  I accidentally hit accept friend instead of ignore and in the couple seconds before I scrolled down to remove her I got a message asking me to trade cards. 

A month later and they haven't really changed much so I guess my faith in Valve to improve flawed things over time has been SHOT. DOWN.

Oh well.

I think expecting Valve to do anything in less than glacial time is probably bad. "Valve time" is a phrase for a reason (but I trust it's usually because they want revisions to be great). The trading card ...meta-game (?) isn't a game, so I wouldn't imagine it's a high priority.

They're usually pretty quick about patching/updating things.

If there's one thing I've learned with Dota 2 its that they really are great at patching/updating their games, but non-game things, such as the Steam client itself, don't seem to move as quickly (how long ago was the simple "remember my age!" feature request first brought up?). Trading cards sit somewhere between the two. Hopefully they can make something more worthwhile out of them, I just don't expect it to happen quickly.

If there's one thing I've learned with Dota 2 its that they really are great at patching/updating their games, but non-game things, such as the Steam client itself, don't seem to move as quickly (how long ago was the simple "remember my age!" feature request first brought up?). Trading cards sit somewhere between the two. Hopefully they can make something more worthwhile out of them, I just don't expect it to happen quickly.

Yeah, that's a fair point, I suppose.

Guess I'm just disappointed 'cause I think it's a neat idea, but it's so incredibly flawed at this point that it's just kinda lame.

Level 29!? Then he must have created a shitload of badges.

Even foil badges?

Please, what is the point of anything that isn't (I wish there was more ways to stress that) foil badges?  Go big or go home, even when there isn't any proof that you did anything ever.

I kind of lost interest when I found out you can only get a limited amount of card drops total.  

You could make the font size bigger, and even red, I think!

Please, what is the point of anything that isn't (I wish there was more ways to stress that) foil badges?  Go big or go home, even when there isn't any proof that you did anything ever.

I kind of lost interest when I found out you can only get a limited amount of card drops total.  

Foil badges are just more rare, they don't give more XP. And of the X card drops from the game, there's a chance of getting a foil badge instead of a regular one (if you're over level 10). It's not a matter of "go big", maybe just "go rare". Either way, you probably only get 1 if you're lucky, or 2 if you're extremely lucked. To craft a foil badge, you probably have to spend $18+ to get the complete set. That's like cheap 2 indie games...

Oh you can actually craft a foil badge?

haha what

Foil badges are just more rare, they don't give more XP. And of the X card drops from the game, there's a chance of getting a foil badge instead of a regular one (if you're over level 10). It's not a matter of "go big", maybe just "go rare". Either way, you probably only get 1 if you're lucky, or 2 if you're extremely lucked. To craft a foil badge, you probably have to spend $18+ to get the complete set. That's like cheap 2 indie games...

Even though the badge you get isn't foil, in your heart you will KNOW that it is.  

Now if they could only make a gold foil double rare badge that I could drop hundreds of expendable dollars on....  I could only dream about the sarcastic things I could say about that...

So I guess this is now out of beta and a ton of games now have Trading Cards, also I guess after you get all your drops you can randomly get a booster pack with more cards.

"Once you have received all of your card drops, you become eligible for a booster pack containing 3 additional cards. Booster packs are granted randomly to eligible users as more badges are crafted by members of the community. Make sure you log in to Steam each week to maintain eligibility."

I just played Left 4 Dead 2 for a couple hours and got all four drops. Two were duplicates, so I sold them for $0.60, and now I'm wondering if I should sell the rest, because I don't think I care about booster packs and badges at all.

Gun Monkeys should have trading cards once it comes out of beta (beta users will get them but then probably have them reset when it goes gold gun gold gold).

I was scrolling through the list of games that I own with badges/cards and I noticed that Psychonauts and Binding of Isaac both have 5 card drops remaining, meaning I can get the whole badge just from my own drops. 

I was scrolling through the list of games that I own with badges/cards and I noticed that Psychonauts and Binding of Isaac both have 5 card drops remaining, meaning I can get the whole badge just from my own drops. 

but both binding of isaac and psychonauts have a total of 9 cards

Do you have to get every card in the set for a badge or just 5? All my badges have 5 slots for cards so I assumed you just needed 5 and there were more than 5 to make it easier for people to trade stuff.