Sign in to follow this  
coaxmetal

Meeting people from the internet is weird

My only experience meeting an internet personality was a brief run in with Nick Breckon. It was going pretty well - I'd already rattled off a couple bad anecdotes, and he seemed to be enjoying them - when the realization hit me that who I had mistaken for Nick Breckon was infact a tiny baby

I saw Drake at the Hobby airport in Houston in that strange period where he stopped being a Jimmy on Degrassi Next Generation and was just starting his rap career. Thinking about it, he was probably recording with Lil Wayne.

All I wanted to do is take one of the wheelchairs from the front door to him, but I'm just not that gutsy. It also would just be confirming that I was watching Degrassi still as a 23 year old male (at that time, I switched to Skins to get my X-treeeeme teen drama fix).

Seriously though I've met a few people from the internet and it's been pleasant. One I've been friends with for a while since it turned out he lived in Houston when I did. He and I are both somewhat socially awkward, but I like rambling to fill silences, so I think it helped somewhat early on. Inane small talk and smiles is my usual protocol in new social sitautions. We both moved to Austin around the same times and have hung out more often here. He's a good guy and I'm going to his housewarming party Saturday. Hooray.

I don't condone ever listening to Lil' Wayne or Drake. Please don't.

If you listen to Lil Wayne up to Tha Carter II, you have nothing to worry about. Dude was something special.

I've made plenty of friends online. It's hard to meet people in real life. But whoever mentioned the avatar thing is totally right. It can be so weird to assume for years that someone is black because they have a Geordi LaForge next to all their posts.

Part of the reason my avatar is just my picture. 

I've made plenty of friends online. It's hard to meet people in real life. But whoever mentioned the avatar thing is totally right. It can be so weird to assume for years that someone is black because they have a Geordi LaForge next to all their posts.

Yeah, I think one of the ugliest manifestations of my own unconscious sexism and racism is that everyone on this forum is American, white, and male to me, unless their username or avatar provides compelling evidence to the contrary. I spent the first three weeks reading Tegan's posts in a male voice until she mentioned some of her queer issues. Screeching halt, let me tell you.

And all these foreigners lurking around, speaking English like they know it... Insidious, I tell you.

everyone on this forum is American, white, and male

I looove «ham burgers» and not saying good-bye on the phone.

I looove «ham burgers» and not saying good-bye on the phone.

Well, you've passed the test, fellow American. Please go about your business.

I'm not the foreigner! You're the foreigner!

Or should I say... Your the foreigner!

Are you trying to tell me that Zeusthecat isn't black?

In fact I look exactly like my avatar.

I can confirm this. It is terrifying.

Part of the reason my avatar is just my picture. 

Same. Although sometimes it's funny to imagine what would have happened if I kept my nondescript avatar and then later met people.

I will say this much, I'm not black and I'm not a talking cat. I'm tempted to reveal my true identity but instead I might try to fuck with everyone's heads even more and change my avatar to Gary Coleman.

I'm just a dude that lives in a state that has the cryptkeeper from Tales From the Crypt as governor (hint: it says where I'm from right below my avatar because I'm an asshole who doesn't mind revealing all sorts of personal information, except my race apparently). One of these days I'll get around to posting my horribly disfigured face on these forums but I don't know if the time is right.

Also, I will forever think that Toblix is really Tom Selleck because the dude in his old avatar had a sweet stache. To think that Tom Selleck posts on these forums, maybe one day he'll respond to one of my posts and make me all giddy.

I am as white as the driven snow. I can neither jump nor dance, and I drive cars thusly.

I am a twig.

And I am very frightened of all things.

If you listen to Lil Wayne up to Tha Carter II, you have nothing to worry about. Dude was something special.

Special at being terrible.

Some of his post-Carter II mixtapes are amazing too--Dedication 2 is one of my favorite mixtapes ever. 

I realize this is probably a better thread to post this in than Life—If you are in the Portland area I am a person from the Internet and I am weird and am visiting a friend there next weekend.  Let me know if you're around!

Some of his post-Carter II mixtapes are amazing too--Dedication 2 is one of my favorite mixtapes ever. 

I even like a lot of the maligned tracks on Tha Carter III (and even one on Rebirth, if you can believe that), but I find most people who don't like Lil Wayne really have no awareness of him pre-Lollipop. They aren't aware that he's this crazy child prodigy of rap who's been incredible since before he could legally drive.

People only don't say goodbye on the phone on TV and movies!

apropos of nothing Jake says a weird thing.  Ahh, it's just like the podcast :P

I'm curious how well you Thumbs hosts know the forum-goers here in general.  I know you guys read the episode threads because you comment often, and probably the video game forum threads, but do you find any of the bits where we're explicitly characterizing ourselves like the Life or Plug Your Shit threads here, and could you recognize us from the Post Your Face thing?