Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Why the hell do you all apparently hold me in such high regard?

You know what I contribute to this forum? Horrifying Sonic the Hedgehog sex dolls and endless Pokémon threads.

I've heard the same assessment from other places. You are a unicorn, teg, and when you leave, the world is duller for its loss. Or so people kept telling me on Twitter, so I had to unfollow them because they were being weird.

Also, Tegan, you make more Simpsons references than anybody else around here, and that's kind of awesome.

Also, Tegan, you make more Simpsons references than anybody else around here, and that's kind of awesome.

The secret is having thousands upon thousands of framegrabs at your disposal.

Also apparently everyone here is very humble.

...except Twig.

Hey what! I've been nothing if not self-deprecating at every turn!

I have a hard time believing I'm fourth best on the forums so clearly this needs to be amended pronto.

I dunno, that didn't seem too humble.

But lets be fair, thats pulling a lot of info from one comment and making a judgement.All to make a dumb attempt at a joke. And thats not fair to you. And I'm sorry.

"Oh, yeah that apartment you called about viewing 30 minutes ago has been taken now. Yeah that's why I didn't answer your text when you were standing outside waiting on me. Bye."

Landlords are the worst people.

The implication was that I am way worse than fourth! Brannigan got it. )':

The implication was that I am way worse than fourth! Brannigan got it. )':

...i am a dumdum

I also feel like this whole ranking thing was a terrible idea that can only end in arguments and bad feelings so I'm stopping now.

Probably for the best.  To wax a bit sappy for a moment though, you're all pretty awesome.  I've been around my fair share of video game forums over the years, and the Thumbs have attracted the best people to their forums that I've ever seen. 

Also, Tegan, the stuff you bring is totally unique compared to the rest of us.  That makes you rad. 

Probably for the best.  To wax a bit sappy for a moment though, you're all pretty awesome.  I've been around my fair share of video game forums over the years, and the Thumbs have attracted the best people to their forums that I've ever seen. 

Also, Tegan, the stuff you bring is totally unique compared to the rest of us.  That makes you rad. 

:tup:

Your manga and comics knowledge is way higher than mine, and we stand toe-to-toe in the anime thread. That's all the information I need.

BRm7IQc.gif

So Tumblr tried to hold a convention.

The convention staff offered to compensate those who had reserved seats for Night Vale with entry into a raffle and "an extra hour with the ball pit."

2B5Tldr.png

An "emergency" fundraising drive was organized largely via PayPal (meaning that the money would not actually have been immediately available), the funds from which were for a time (and may still be) unaccounted for - as the hotel staff apparently denied having asked for it.

Meanwhile, as the fundraiser debacle was unfolding, there were reports (and scattered video record) of confused/upset attendees having turned their ire on the hotel and its staff... by "protest-singing" songs from Les Miserables, flashing "Homestuck gang-signs" and throwing up the Mockingjay Salute from The Hunger Games.

I'm surprised that stuff like that doesn't happen more often. Lots of fairly large cons that are mismanaged, let alone small start-ups.

To be fair, it's not Tumblr itself, because that would probably have a better chance of success. It's just a segment of fans who wanted to have a convention about... nothing, really.

The significant other of a friend from college was head of convention security for DashCon, which is unsurprising given what I know of his weird need for attention and authority, and he has been burning up my Facebook page with angry, defensive accusations about how the people who wanted to have fun had fun and the people who didn't didn't and anyone who wants to talk bad about DashCon or any con should organize and host their own con first to be able to criticize but they won't because they know how hard it is so shut up.

Well, I can't post it on Facebook, because there's no way it's worth it, but I've been lead tech on three annual academic conferences and the Medieval Academy of America conference a few years back, so I can talk and say that I know what sort of conference/convention comes from a lack of money and a lack of competence. That's what I see right here. All the good intentions and hard work in the world can't save a conference from not having enough funds or enough experience to know how to use them.

I've been hearing so much stuff about DashCon. Seems like a huge amount of mismanagement mixed with a lack of money.

I was going to make a joke about imagining a MySpace convention, and then I went to MySpace for the first time in years and discovered that it's a hiply designed music service now?  So I guess a convention for it would just be a bunch of musicians, which would be a festival, and festivals are cool.  My entire joke collapsed on itself.  Thanks myspace.

It makes me want to make a con for something just as generic, like people who own land lines.

I once thought it would be cool to start my own con. Then I looked into what would be needed to arrange even a small con, and was very quickly like, "Wow, there's a lot more involved in something like this than I thought. Maybe I shouldn't, what with having no money and no experience."

Also, for the MySpace thing... I guess it kind of makes sense. I mean, for a while after Facebook sort of took over, the only people I ever saw using MySpace were musicians and bands, and it worked well for them. It seems like a good idea for MySpace to have sort of gone in a music-focused direction.

Jesus, Ryan Block from AOL (irony noted) was trying to disconnect his Comcast service over the phone and recorded his call. This is the exact reason why I hate this goddamn company and it's honestly shameful that I still give them any money, despite them being a monopoly.

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-block-10/comcastic-service

I can't listen to that all the way through. I cannot believe that it is legal.

That's incredible. I've honestly never experienced this. Granted, I always give the reason that I'm moving (because that's always the reason I'm disconnecting from any service), but it's almost always a very quick process. I've heard phone calls like this before. I don't know how they get away with it either. I've had Comcast before, too, and it was probably less than a five minute call to get it over with (call holding notwithstanding).

Wow.

I am surprised he didn't just ask for a superior. That's how this usually goes. And then they do it again.

RANDOM THOUGH: What the hell is AOL even doing, anymore? Looks like they're basically... Yahoo?