Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

How do y'all handle situations where someone wants something that is mutually exclusive to something that's important to you? When you think that what you want is more important that what someone else wants and you can't have both, what do you do?

I often have this false hope that the other person just hasn't considered why the thing I want is more important than the thing they want. I think this is what it must feel like to be vegan.

Generally, I think about the hassle of trying to convince or otherwise override their choice and then decide it's not worth it and just go along with them.

In other news, apparently Google Play Store credit can't be applied to a purchase unless your balance is greater than the price of what you're buying, and they only sell it in five-dollar increments. I knew that the Google Surveys promotion that gave you ten or twenty cents for every survey you answered was somehow a scam. My $1.24 balance is effectively worthless for any of the games I want.

I just encountered this.  Hitman Go is on sale for $2 right now, but my $1.09 in Play credit is unusable.  Super annoying.

For some reason Hitman Go is flagged as incompatible with my one year old tablet while apparently ok with my significantly older smartphone. I even emailed Square Enix support asking why and their response was basically "wait for us to patch in more devices." Very frustrating.

This might just be me being a perv, but does anyone else ever have intensely sexual dreams about someone in whom they have no sexual interest, totally screwing up their interactions with that person for several days? It's basically been a problem for me every four or five months for my entire adult life, having to ignore an entirely imagined history with a given person.

I just encountered this.  Hitman Go is on sale for $2 right now, but my $1.09 in Play credit is unusable.  Super annoying.

Like Bjorn says, it feels like it shouldn't be legal. If I ever put my own money into it, it'll effectively be trapped in Google's system forever unless I put even more money into it.

I have had that happen a couple of times in the past, no so much anymore as my sex drive has cooled some.

This might just be me being a perv, but does anyone else ever have intensely sexual dreams about someone in whom they have no sexual interest, totally screwing up their interactions with that person for several days? It's basically been a problem for me every four or five months for my entire adult life, having to ignore an entirely imagined history with a given person.

Yes, but fortunately for me they're usually people I don't interact with often or haven't seen for a long time so it doesn't mess up life beyond the first ten minutes after waking up.

I have a slightly different thing where when I meet a new person that looks like someone I know well, I can't help but treat them the same as friend and it creeps the new person out.

How do y'all handle situations where someone wants something that is mutually exclusive to something that's important to you? When you think that what you want is more important that what someone else wants and you can't have both, what do you do?

I often have this false hope that the other person just hasn't considered why the thing I want is more important than the thing they want. I think this is what it must feel like to be vegan.

That's so general that it's hard to give a specific answer, but if I truly think that what I want is more important, and if it's my choice, I'll probably pick the thing that I think is more important. If it's not my choice I'll try to convince the other person, but you have to accept what they choose. If it's a mutual choice I'll probably concede the issue rather than try to strong arm it. It depends though, because there are degrees of conviction.

I asked a person that comes to my job frequently and who is generally excited about helping people out. They suggested that I should come up with an alternative design where both parties can get what they value. I agree. Such a design would make the problem obsolete.

I have that sometimes, but more often it's just sexual thoughts randomly popping into my head while I'm interacting with the person, which is even more awkward. It's almost inevitable if I spend enough time with someone and find them even slightly attractive. I guess that is just me being a perv, but it's not like I'm doing it on purpose.

I don't really care for viral trends, even ones in support of donating toward disease research.  I'm not against donating to worthy causes, it just bothers me that it requires stuff like this to get people to do it.  Even worse is that many people miss the point altogether and don't even mention (or in some cases even know) the actual reason for doing it other than as a popular thing people are doing.

That said, I feel a strange urge to do the ice bucket challenge just to nominate Idle Thumbs.

It always seems like a silly missed opportunity not to have the challenge strongly relate to an aspect or symptom of the issue they're raising money for. But it's usually just something that can be stuck in a vine or YouTube video easily.

It always seems like a silly missed opportunity not to have the challenge strongly relate to an aspect or symptom of the issue they're raising money for. But it's usually just something that can be stuck in a vine or YouTube video easily.

Isn't that what the ice bucket challenge isn't though? The cold water is supposed to make you feel paralysed (like ALS).

I don't think the moral from the Tortoise and the Hare should be "slow and steady wins the race".  It should be something about not losing focus or not being overconfident.

And I just found this addendum to the story on Wikipedia

the reason that this version of the race is not widely known is that very few of those that witnessed it survived the great forest-fire that happened shortly after. It came up over the weald by night with a great wind. The Hare and the Tortoise and a very few of the beasts saw it far off from a high bare hill that was at the edge of the trees, and they hurriedly called a meeting to decide what messenger they should send to warn the beasts in the forest. They sent the Tortoise.

That's interesting. I like rethinking fables. Yesterday I was thinking how the story of Noah may have been intended as a story that explains "Don't make fun of your neighbor who is building a rocket-ship in their backyard."

Isn't that what the ice bucket challenge isn't though? The cold water is supposed to make you feel paralysed (like ALS).

Well... I'm a dummy.

I guess this also shows the flaw in that plan then. Since no-one who posted the challenge on my facebook feed was pointing that out, I didn't get off my arse to look it up and also when I made this same observation to a friend he just agreed with me, equally ignorant that it actually was the point.

I was just talking to a friend who mentioned the ice-bucket thing in reference to the social-media malaise established by extraordinarily depressing current-events in the past few months. I love the idea that pouring water on your head in public is some sort of universal archetype that social-media (in it's Cronenberg insect flesh-puppet form) requires in order to be okay with itself again.

I don't really care for viral trends, even ones in support of donating toward disease research.  I'm not against donating to worthy causes, it just bothers me that it requires stuff like this to get people to do it.  Even worse is that many people miss the point altogether and don't even mention (or in some cases even know) the actual reason for doing it other than as a popular thing people are doing.

That said, I feel a strange urge to do the ice bucket challenge just to nominate Idle Thumbs.

I really agree about the people who just pop along for the ice bucket alone. I've started seeing Swedish people on Facebook posting videos of this now and from what I see there are generally no mention of ALS. Of course, it does benefit awareness in the sense that people could become curious why people were dumping freezing water on top of themselves.

We did have a similar challenge at the beginning of spring though which had no connection to charity where people were challenged to down a full glass of beer on video before nominating two-three friends, so the risk is that people will just believe that this is a spin off of that rather than an awareness campaign.

We did have a similar challenge at the beginning of spring though which had no connection to charity where people were challenged to down a full glass of beer on video before nominating two-three friends, so the risk is that people will just believe that this is a spin off of that rather than an awareness campaign.

I would've enjoyed doing that, as I gagged at every sip I took. God who would voluntarily drink beer. Fucking gross.

Random thought: beer is fucking gross.