melmer

Oculus rift

But how will he contact us from the future of gaming

Good point, we should probably get them to fill out a questionaire. Using their answers and what we know about the Rift, we will construct a predictive model. We'll have to refine the model as we learn more in order to avoid the akwardness of our claiming that they said things that they do not eventually say.

The developers of Routine and Enemy Starfighter have said they're all over this thing, and those two along with the general zeitgeist have helped a great deal in terms of moving me from "Christ almighty why would I ever spend money on something this ridiculous" to "maybe I will actually buy this." Hell, with the Unity support, maybe I can even Gone HomeOn The Rift™ or whatever.

I got to wear one at GDC this year (I totally hit that line AS the show floor was opening, I thankfully did not have to wait to long). I was actually really impressed. Especially considering how skeptical I have been about this thing in general. 

Oh, man you can look down and see your Heavy's body?? SOLD! The future is now!

Wouldn't it be interesting if the ASMR community got interested in the Oculus Rift?

Wouldn't it be interesting if the ASMR community got interested in the Oculus Rift?

I'm super-susceptible to ASMR stuff, and now all of a sudden I seriously want to try this.

I'm super-susceptible to ASMR stuff, and now all of a sudden I seriously want to try this.

I'm not susceptible to ASMR. I just recently found out about it from episode #491 of This American Life. Last night I watched a bunch of ASMR videos out of curiousity. It probably helped that I have a thing for well done slow films like the work of Agnes Varda.

Anyway, when the lady started brushing my non-existent hair (assumably a wig set atop a 3D microphone), it was akwardly intense. When someone tries to persuade me to relax, I become very anxious. I have an intense fear that someone is going to be hurt while I am not paying attention; while I am relaxing.

I was able to slip through the hair brushing, but I thought to myself "I don't know if I could do this is if I was in an Oculus Rift."

My favourites are the ones with things like girls quietly reading children's books in Japanese or people silently unboxing Lego sets. As a result my suggested Youtube videos always look like really weird boring activities to people who don't get it.

Seriously though if someone just made like a haircut simulator or something for this it would be a day one perch.

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. There's not a lot of research about it because it's inherently difficult to do so. I would think it was fake if I didn't have it myself. Basically some people get a sort of relaxing sensation from certain sounds like gentle tapping, whispering, the sounds of a haircut, etc. I guess Reddit or something picked it up when a bunch of people realized they have it and now there's tons of videos and such specifically meant to cater to it. For example:

It's like having tiny orgasms in your head and it is super nice.

Another ASMR question: The wikipedia entry on it describes it almost sexually?

Allen explains that "Autonomous" pertains to the idiosyncrasy involved with people who experience ASMR since the nature of the response varies from person to person, and the term "meridian" was used as a euphemism for orgasm.

Other phrases to describe the sensation refer to it as a "brain orgasm", "brain massage", "head tingle", "brain tingles", "head orgasm", "spine tingle", and "braingasm".

Is it the same or connected to sexual stimulation, or completely different?

EDIT: I guess that answers it?

I wouldn't call it inherently sexual, but it's definitely pleasurable.

Okay, so I watch this guy unbox his lego – do I need special equipment or lighting or oils or what? Am I going to have to watch the whole 8 minutes or does it kick in right away? I have so many questions, I mean my friend does.

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. There's not a lot of research about it because it's inherently difficult to do so. I would think it was fake if I didn't have it myself. Basically some people get a sort of relaxing sensation from certain sounds like gentle tapping, whispering, the sounds of a haircut, etc. 

Hmm, that sort of thing has the opposite affect on me, if anything.  Quiet sounds like those in that Lego video, whispering or really minimalist music tend to speed up my heart  and make me feel weirdly tense. And no normal person opens Lego like that, dammit, you rip open the box as fast as possible so you can start messing around with all the little pieces. xP

Token On Topic Comment: Occulus Rift is a cool thing I guess.

Oh okay, so I should figure out within a few minutes if I'm disposed to this weird business? I guess I'm not, though watching people unwrap Lego is always fun.

Hmm, that sort of thing has the opposite affect on me, if anything.  Quiet sounds like those in that Lego video, whispering or really minimalist music tend to speed up my heart  and make me feel weirdly tense.

I had the same response, weirdly stressed out and tense, but I suspect it was all in my head because I was wondering what-the-fuck the whole time.

I'd want to play an Oculus Rift game made for ASMR for the same reason ai enjoy the youtube videos. I'm fascinated by media created for people with different perceptions than mine. I guess I figure that I'm expanding my own perceptional abilities by exposing myself to media which is tailored for something I can't sense. I have no evidence for this. My incentive is dependent on my personal fantasy that it'll have an effect.

Okay, so I watch this guy unbox his lego – do I need special equipment or lighting or oils or what? Am I going to have to watch the whole 8 minutes or does it kick in right away? I have so many questions, I mean my friend does.

I always feel it right away, but I don't know how it is for others.