Roderick

Feminism

Wonder Woman gets redesigned pretty frequently and it never sticks for long. Remember the uproar surrounding the 2010 redesign?

1LWOQvE.jpg

See, I thought the wristblades were awesome. But yeah, I like Wonder Woman redesigns that look practical but they never stay.

I guess I have slightly more confidence in this one sticking as it definitely still does have a general superhero costume quality to it rather than a 90% normal clothing + 10% shiny tight top with a little gold stuff thing. But maybe that's just optimism.

Well, it's not a zero-sum game. Wonder Woman can be better-written and wear pants. Or rather, Wonder Woman wearing pants can only make better writing more likely, not less.

I think it's more accurate to say that better writing can only make her more likely to wear pants.

Also, if we're complaining about trends in comics, I hate hate hate it when artists draw outfits that conform to the character's breasts like they're painted on or vacuum-sealed (or when armour has a big molded boobplate, which is a really dangerous thing to put in armour). No fabric works that way unless you deliberately sew boob-pockets into it, argh. I've taken to using it as a metric for comics I shouldn't look at, like discarding a resume at the first typo.

She looks significantly more badass in that getup than any other I've ever seen, so maybe that'll be enough to help it stick around for once?

I dunno I don't really read superhero comics so that probably has no bearing on anything.

Well, it's not a zero-sum game. Wonder Woman can be better-written and wear pants. Or rather, Wonder Woman wearing pants can only make better writing more likely, not less.

It's not a zero-sum game, but it usually seems that way in practice: Wonder Woman having pants usually doesn't mean an uptick in the writing quality, particularly because it tends to come out via a press release and not via the events of the book.

Wonder Woman gets redesigned pretty frequently and it never sticks for long. Remember the uproar surrounding the 2010 redesign?

I like the new redesign more than the 2010 one. The 2010 one was too...youthful? It didn't embody the power of a grown person who's one of the most powerful beings in the DC universe.

I like the new armor-y look a lot more. It's a little American Gladiators, but it looks more like something an adult would wear as a uniform (reminds me a little of a football uniform actually).

yeah does dire mean excessively badass

In this case, dire mean it looks like a design that came out of the 90's (I do not consider that a good thing).

I like the wrist blades.  I think they better reflect her upbringing as an Amazon warrior.  Plus they'd probably function better as protective shields than the tiny bracelets she used before.  I have to imagine they're removable or retractable somehow.

Knowing nothing of the mythology of DC's wonder woman my 1st reaction here was "well isn't she supposed to have a link to the classical past" i dont really see that in the new costume, she doesn't "look greek" isn't that all toga's & such?

well a quick look at wikipedia seems to suggest that even in Greek times that Amazon warriors did wear trousers :D

461px-Amazon_trousers_BM_VaseB673.jpg

I still feel the current look is too genericly superhero, id love a version which evoked a classical warrior more, not just a male 90's superhero design applied to a lady

I'm not fond of the Dresden Codak guy or his "I'm going to fix all these characters" attitude at all, but he did a fan redesign for Wonder Woman that I did quite like.

InX19bF.jpg

In canon, Diana was sculpted from clay by the amazons and imbued with the power of the gods. I really like the idea of a very literal take on that, even if the rest of the look is basically stuff she already wears with a toga on it and a sword that she doesn't need.

In canon, Diana was sculpted from clay by the amazons and imbued with the power of the gods. I really like the idea of a very literal take on that, even if the rest of the look is basically stuff she already wears with a toga on it and a sword that she doesn't need.

Yeah that's a intresting concept which doesn't seem to have been taken very far. Additionally to me at least it feels like she looks more like marble than clay not really earthy enough somehow, perhaps a terracotta warrior Diana could be cool variation.

Yeah that's a intresting concept which doesn't seem to have been taken very far. Additionally to me at least it feels like she looks more like marble than clay not really earthy enough somehow, perhaps a terracotta warrior Diana could be cool variation.

Man, a Chinese terracotta Wonder Woman would be amazing.

Well, here's the issue I've always had with Wonder Woman being an Amazon or whatever - she would be brown or black, not white. She never even looks tan. 

Man, a Chinese terracotta Wonder Woman would be amazing.

After thinking about how cool that would be for a moment that immediately brought to mind a series called Moribito & it's heroine Balsa

post-24580-0-68048400-1426274441_thumb.jpg

but perhaps the closest modern equivalent might be Legend of Korra

3178475-3136089236-The-L.jpg

anyway both are bad ass but a full "cannon" Asian wonder woman would be great in many ways i almsot have a mental image of her clawing her way out of one of those terracotta pits having dug her way out after 1000's of years looking pissed as all hell

Well, here's the issue I've always had with Wonder Woman being an Amazon or whatever - she would be brown or black, not white. She never even looks tan.

Sure, and it doesn't really make any sense for her to be essentially wearing the American flag at all times either. These are holdovers from the initial creation of the character, like Superman having a huge "S" on his chest that they try to handwave as happening to be the Kryptonian symbol for his House as well.

she doesn't "look greek" isn't that all toga's & such?

well a quick look at wikipedia seems to suggest that even in Greek times that Amazon warriors did wear trousers.

The Amazonians and Greeks were completely distinct cultures though. I dont know enough about either but I think their main interaction was through war.

Anyway I like the redesign.

The Kansas war on women and education continues unabated.  Education from kindergarten to college level are facing significant cuts.  When the President of K-State criticized looming cuts, a legislator suggested that low priority academic areas could be cut, you know, like women's studies.  When asked for clarification, he added "I'm speaking to prioritization. That's it,” the legislator said in an interview at the Capitol. “There are far more important things than teaching ideological indoctrination.”

So in other DC Comics news, DC was going to release a wildly inappropriate "Killing Joke"-inspired variant cover for their ongoing Batgirl series, which has been bringing in new crowds by trying to be more fun and aimed at younger female audiences instead of older male ones.

Flash forward three days and DC pulls the cover because for some reason a lot of controversy has erupted over DC promoting its book using a cover based on a story where their fun feminist heroine gets stripped naked and permanently paralyzed. DC retracts the cover, citing "threats of violence," but neglects to mention that the threats of violence it referred to weren't against the creator, but against the people who objected to the cover, because of course they fucking were. It's also become clear that the creative team, including the guy who drew the cover, weren't happy with it, with rumour being that DC pushed to make it much worse than it originally was.

DC somehow managed to turn doing the right thing (eventually) into an excercise in idiocy, because I guess that's just what they do now.

Wow I saw the cover and the shitstorm around it without quite realizing it was supposed to be for the new, fun, teen-focused Batgirl. That takes it from kinda gross to really fucked up.

Even if it wasn't the fun new Batgirl, the Killing Joke was a really dark storyline that even Alan Moore felt bad about after the fact. I feel like that while, yes, we got Oracle, at what cost?  Bringing that back for their fun new Batgirl series was a horrible idea, really horrible. I am glad they changed it, but yeah, people who were protesting it literally got harassed from all corners. Comics is not better than games in this respect, as a lot of GG people also jumped into that fray at well. Hrm, I wonder what the common denominator on that one was.