Roderick

Feminism

I look askance at people who tab with spaces. You're wasting daylight.

Then again, I also look askance at people who refuse a good IDE.

I used vim and emacs literally only when I didn't have time to use something better. For a while I... wait a minute this is the Feminism thread.

Dammit Barbie, derailed me again!

Whoa yeah, let's... let's just edit out that reference.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/70650726

I am actually surprised that this conversation is going as well as it is on Gamefaqs.

The story is that a pro-Starcraft player got disqualified for tweeting that he was going to rape his opponent.

Now there are the usual people in there defending it but there are equal numbers of people condemning.

I was impressed that gamefaqs managed to summon up that level of maturity.

As dirty as it makes me feel, the misandrists are right in this case. He should not have said that, even joking. Especially in a society where that particular act is frowned upon

He's right, it is important that we take into account the cultural context of rape being bad.

(That made me laugh quite a bit.)

My superficial impression is that the SC2 community is a lot more mature than other gaming communities I've encountered. I tend to see a lot less flaming going on in your average SC2 match compared to other multiplayer games.

Or this may be a situation where the term e-sports has primed people to analogize to the sports world where professional athletes certainly are punished for poor behavior.

And this is my favorite comment from that thread:

Classical feminism has run its course and achieved its goals. Women are equal to women in nearly every way and are able to vote, work, have property, and be independent of a husband.

Also, I'm guessing that thread might have been even uglier before the banhammer waded in. There's a bunch of "[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]" comments.

The comments on the linked article though are particularly depressing.

Or this may be a situation where the term e-sports has primed people to analogize to the sports world where professional athletes certainly are punished for poor behavior.

Depressingly, a few people in that thread seem to believe that sportsmen go around talking about raping each other all the time, and that preventing them from doing so would gravely diminish the very nature of sport itself.

I mean, I don't follow sport, so maybe they all do, but I get the feeling those guys in the thread are just a bit lost in their gamer subculture nonsense.

Oh, by no means am I actually saying that this a great step forward but I am pleasantly surprised to walk into one of the most infantile forums I know outside 4chan and see misogynists copping to fair points.

As hilarious as that quote is James (there are so many problems with it) at least it is a person who is going 'no, that is fair to ban them, [%insert deeply troubling comment here].'

I also do like that the banhammer is being put into effect, too frequently I see it not being used at all in other comment threads that leads to conversations falling apart.

I understood, and agree completely. I appreciate the effort, and that the general mood seems to be edging towards somewhere vaguely near the right place. I just found the one thing amusing, and the other frustrating. But the general tone of the thread could have been a whole lot worse.

My superficial impression is that the SC2 community is a lot more mature than other gaming communities I've encountered. I tend to see a lot less flaming going on in your average SC2 match compared to other multiplayer games.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the StarCraft scene "matured", so to speak, in Korea, not a Western country. The Korean e-Sports scene was ruled with an iron fist, so much so that typing ANYTHING other than "ppp" (please pause) or gg (good game) (or the Korean variants) will result in an instant forfeiture of the match.

When SC2 first came out and it was clear that Korean players will continue to dominate, many "foreigners" (non-Korean) lamented the lack of personality in the Korean players. As such, several Korean players such as MC and PartinG has over-compensated by putting on a persona of a crass and aggressive attitude. For the most part they act within the confines of what is considered to be acceptable manners, and when they edge the line, it's usually seen as an endearing act, which I think is somewhat patronising. Given the sea of otherwise well-mannered players, it's understandable when a player tries to carve a niche by being the "bad boy" of the scene, but in this particular case it backfired and I think the player involved recognises that he overstepped a boundary and has apologised. 

Was going to a lecture tonight titled Rape Culture, and noticed after I got home that this is how it was presented in my Facebook calender update:

post-33601-0-45507400-1417578606_thumb.jpg

I didn't realise Russia was in some financial trouble. What stuck out to me though was this quote:

The rouble's slide has led to fury in the Duma, where populist politician Evgeny Fedorov has called for a criminal investigation of the central bank. Critics say the institution had been taken over by "feminist liberals" and is a tool of the International Monetary Fund.

It's just easier to blame women than, you know, look at facts and stuff.  Like Turkey, who has decided that high suicide rates are because women want equality and don't just stay home and act as baby factories as god and state intended. 

Today is the 25th anniversary of the Polytechnique massacre.

In 1989 in Montreal, a guy walked onto the campus armed (legally) and declared to a classroom that feminists ruined his life. He murdered all the women in the class and made his way through the school, killing a few more, wounding others, before he killed himself.

Some men regard him as a hero, but y'know, they're fucking crazy. Everyone else mourns the loss off the victims:

B4LSAuxCQAEfN4F.jpg

I experienced 2 watered down versions of "cat calling" (although they weren't really that, just more like sexual and inappropriate comments) recently. It sucks, I can't imagine how much worse it'd be if I actually feared for my safety as well as the other feelings that come with it.

One even involved a compliment on my body, part that I'm proud of and worked hard to achieve, but context is king, so in the situation that was at hand, it didn't feel like a compliment, it felt like a leer. 

I just wanted to share my extremely watered down experience of what it must be like for women. 

Catcalling and street harassment is such a fundamentally pervasive occurrence, from my personal experience, especially as being a woman who is visibly fat as well. It was ten times worse when I lived in NYC, street harassment there is awful. I live in a smaller city now and now the most I get usually are car driveby stuff, which is no less degrading but the frequency means I don't worry about stepping outside. I've had even other women shout at me due to my weight, which is its own interesting depressive topic. 

What I tend to try and convey most to men when I talk about this stuff is less about catcalling, and more how men can't get over this idea that approaching women on the street at all is extremely nerve-wracking, if not scary as hell. I used to have really bad anxiety about any man coming near me on the street because I've been flashed, groped, attacked, and generally creeped on. It's hard to explain that because it's such a mental thing that develops over time. 

Has anyone read Dan Savage's latest column? I know a lot of people in online feminist circles hate him already and I'm sure this won't help. I generally agree with the gist of what he says though. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Are you talking about the gender one that came out today, or a different one?

Has anyone read Dan Savage's latest column? I know a lot of people in online feminist circles hate him already and I'm sure this won't help. I generally agree with the gist of what he says though. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I just read it. I know he's not popular with feminists; with him at least, being pro- too many things without seeming anti- something else is difficult. What exactly are you asking about, the gender fluidity stuff?

I can totally understand why people would "hate" Dan Savage for advising his readers to be tolerant and respectful of other people's gender identities and desired pronouns even if they don't understand them.

What I tend to try and convey most to men when I talk about this stuff is less about catcalling, and more how men can't get over this idea that approaching women on the street at all is extremely nerve-wracking, if not scary as hell. I used to have really bad anxiety about any man coming near me on the street because I've been flashed, groped, attacked, and generally creeped on. It's hard to explain that because it's such a mental thing that develops over time. 

I hear you. To a perpetrator it's a single event and they often can't understand why it seems like a big deal. To the target, it's that drip-drip-drip of continuous, similar events year in, year out. The implicit threat and likelihood of street harassment makes me feel really conscious about walking behind women, especially anywhere quiet, so I usually cross the street to avoid doing it. Loads of guys seem to just not understand this, and if it's raised talk about how good their motives are or what a nice guy they are etc :(