Roderick

Feminism

This is really how these people see themselves. As liberators and guardians, not bullies who are angry because they think their toys are being taken away.

PSST! Guess which character in GotG wants to keep things pure, fights change, and wont make amends and alliances? I'll give you a hint, It's not the guys in the poster.

and their motivations are pretty ambigious/sketchy at best as well...Ronan fits too well.

We're talking about the people who were surprised to find out JOSS WHEDON was a feminist.... Out of touch doesn't even begin to cover it.

Although I must admit I didn't realize this made by them and it's not satire at first too, and I had to Google "TORtanic", it looks like has to do with Star Wars game, but I don't get it.

This is really how these people see themselves. As liberators and guardians, not bullies who are angry because they think their toys are being taken away.

Wait...that's not ironic?

I don't even know what that is.

Although I must admit I didn't realize this made by them and it's not satire at first too, and I had to Google "TORtanic", it looks like has to do with Star Wars game, but I don't get it.

I think it's because The Old Republic MMO tanked .

This is it. I only remember it because at one point 4chan's video game board (/v/) decided to put together a video game awards show because they felt that normal video game awards shows (namely the Spike VGAs) were too corrupt. There were interstitial bits throughout, including a billion fucking Titanic clips edited to be about "TORtanic". The whole thing was so bad that /v/ agreed to never do it again. I still have it saved on a hard drive somewhere because holy shit it is baaaaaaad.

Wait...that's not ironic?

Like I said, it was tweeted by the same guy that made the list of companies you should boycott because they support the SJW agenda. The elegantly named @farttocontinue.

That guy probably decided to bring back the ghost of Tortanic because it fits with the narrative of EA "using LGBT issues to mask their shitty games".

That guy probably decided to bring back the ghost of Tortanic because it fits with the narrative of EA "using LGBT issues to mask their shitty games".

Hmm. Regarding the EA thing: are they saying that EA is placing LGBT characters and concerns in their games to make up for the "shitty game" part by garnering acclaim for it, or are they referring to that letter from Peter Moore in response to being named 'Worst Company of 2013?

Wait, wait.... "PressFartToContinue"? I kinda know that him/her.... he/she's constantly posting on GameGrumps and a few other videos and apparently "Fart" is an attention seeker so bad Fart's been banned from from a few YouTube channels for harassing and being a jerk.

So, nude/personal pictures of ~100 celebrities have been spread online by someone who hacked their iCloud accounts. Tons of celebrities have been targeted, including most notably Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Upton.

This kind of shit gets me really annoyed, because it plays into celebrity culture where nobody's privacy is sacred and people in the public spotlight are "asking for it". Add that to the fact that there are women who've been violated, PLUS add that it was due to hacking of a relatively insecure online storage service and you have a recipe for shit. I was commenting on The Verge's story, where all of the entitled men feel it's their duty to inform women that putting nudes in their iCloud accounts is a stupid idea and it's no surprised they were violated.

My comment has since been deleted (it was part of a thread where the root guy was a huge asshole), but I just figured I'd copy and paste it here since it's my overall feeling on the issue:

I suppose that's my point - the advice to take precautions should be a given. I'm sure all women have heard it a million times. I'm doubly sure that women don't need a Verge commenter to tell them that "you shouldn't be putting nudes of yourself online".

Women can take all the precautions they like, but they're utterly vulnerable to attack by people determined to attack them. Let's not shame women who are under attack, let's shame these people determined to violate their privacy. If that shame convinces one potential hacker to not go down that road, we're accomplishing something.

Wait, wait.... "PressFartToContinue"? I kinda know that him/her.... he/she's constantly posting on GameGrumps and a few other videos and apparently "Fart" is an attention seeker so bad Fart's been banned from from a few YouTube channels for harassing and being a jerk.

Wow, I've seen the name show up on a few Northernlion videos and had no idea it was such an infamous figure. Well, now I know.

Wait, you guys willingly read Youtube comments?!

The best decision I ever made was installing a Chrome extension that replaces the text of Youtube comments with this:

0daw0Qj.png

I made my own Greasemonkey script to do something similar to a specific user on another forum once. That was mainly because I realized my constant conflicts with him were probably quite annoying for everyone else, though.

I made my own Greasemonkey script to do something similar to a specific user on another forum once. That was mainly because I realized my constant conflicts with him were probably quite annoying for everyone else, though.

PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH THE WORLD.

A) It's probably lost to time

B) It was specific to particular forum software (phpBB, I think)

C) I could probably knock something together for a specific forum if you wanted

D) The code would be bad but don't worry about that

E) I imagine several people have already done a better job

F) I kind of want to do it anyway

Some modern forum software actually has in-built mute functionality, so it's worth checking for that. That said, it can be helpful to know that someone has posted, just not what they posted. For context and all that.

When you mute someone here (by going to settings and adding them to Ignore List or somesuch), the forum still shows that they posted and you can still click to see their post, so IMHO that's perfect.

This thread actually made me put 3 or 4 people there last month, probably for the first time in IT history. Or maybe just the first time since the forum software switch.

How did we get anybody bad enough to mute here? I can't imagine being a fan of the podcast (or the old site) being as bad as this Fart guy, don't tell me we actually got a MRA or two here?

It's me they muted probably. 

But really every time the Thumbs talk explicitly about feminist issues or women in games on the cast proper a few people inevitably wander into the forums to post poorly. They are usually promptly banned.

Also fucking christ these stolen pictures. The responses I've seen have been absolutely disgusting. I hate everything. 

Are you talking about the iCloud hack? I just found and I'm not really sure happened, I think they stole private pic from women and posted them online? As if I wasn't already disgusted enough with all that's happening.

This article is worth reading related to the stolen pictures of celebrities, as it tries to examines our complicated relationship with taboo.  It seems as though the supporters of this action from what I've seen (I'd rather not link that kind of garbage here) seem to only think violence against women is only relevant when acted out in kind, where all non physical expressions of that ideology are simply free speech.  This is something that really bothers me.  It seems as though most people from these groups are so inept at articulating themselves (or perhaps so fascinated with themselves) that anything that upsets them or any attempt to criticize their behavior is instantly seen as some violation of their rights.

It's me they muted probably. 

But really every time the Thumbs talk explicitly about feminist issues or women in games on the cast proper a few people inevitably wander into the forums to post poorly. They are usually promptly banned.

Also fucking christ these stolen pictures. The responses I've seen have been absolutely disgusting. I hate everything. 

Have I missed these bans? Was it in this thread?

Were all the celebrities female?

(Synth: it was mostly in the latest podcast episode thread)

"It's partially organic."

Wait, like the nanosuit in Crysis?

If I'd known those "Gaming's Feminist Illuminati" T-shirts gave you cloak and bullet resistance, I would probably have bought one. Even though pink isn't my color.