Roderick

Feminism

Apparently one of the guys behind "TheFappening" reddit thread is concerned about his privacy.

That is such crap. This guy is attention starved like crazy. He was in the twit.tv irc chatroom yesterday before they recorded This Week in Tech saying "Hey, if you want I can be on the show to talk about my side." I didn't know his username so I searched for it and found out he was the dude behind thefappening. Not only that, but the dude had started two different reddit ama's about it http://www.reddit.com/user/johnsmcjohn/submitted/  and had been interviewed multiple times.

Their actions in the McAfee case were just weird and unethical all the way around, getting him arrested is just the cherry on top of shit-sundae.  I like some of the work Vice has done, I also find some of it to be reprehensible even as I think it might be valuable (like their livestreams from Ferguson). 

Ever since Vice got one of its sources arrested, I've had a hard time trusting them. I've been hearing a lot of good things about their documentaries though, so maybe I should I try to get over that.

Yeah vice has made some boneheaded moves in the past, but they are typically willing to go and cover things that no one else will touch and in incredible detail.

This isn't the ethics in journalism thread, but John McAfee is and was sort of a monster whose only claim to ever doing anything positive was creating a shitty malware-esque virus scanner. If his money made him untouchable to normal police methods, I really, really don't mind if a news agency (who is already more 'edgy' than 'professional') contributes to the arrest of an unrepentant pedophile-rapist. I actually find it pretty awesome. 
And yeah, they do a LOT of on the ground coverage from typically untouched areas. I'm willing to forgive an awful lot from someone willing to leave the studio/office once in a while.

In case anyone was in doubt about how gross 4chan is, they apparently released the chatlogs for the #burgersandfries irc channel thinking it would support their claims that ZQ was "cherrypicking" a few screenshots to paint them in a bad light (and/or thinking no one would actually bother reading through it?). Anyways, all the trigger warnings, but turns out someone bothered to have a look and it's not exactly flattering.

In case anyone was in doubt about how gross 4chan is, they apparently released the chatlogs for the #burgersandfries irc channel thinking it would support their claims that ZQ was "cherrypicking" a few screenshots to paint them in a bad light (and/or thinking no one would actually bother reading through it?). Anyways, all the trigger warnings, but turns out someone bothered to have a look and it's not exactly flattering.

I appreciate that one of the commenters made bingo cards for post-leak #GamerGate apologists.urohr0x.jpg

These would probably make for the fastest game of bingo ever. I hit "bingo" after just two pages of comments on the link you posted.

Fuck. I know one of the people who showed up in the logs there. Not a friend, thankfully, just someone I talked to in IRC for a while, but godfuckingdammit. So angry.

We Hunted The Mammoth is in my RSS feeds. Good luck to any dipshits that try and take on the commenters there; they eat the worst of the worst for breakfast.

It's like they're not even talking about a human being.

The worst stuff is how they actually wanted her dead. What the hell is wrong with these goddamn psycho fucks?

If you want the internet at its absolute worst, there it is.

The worst stuff is how they actually wanted her dead. What the hell is wrong with these goddamn psycho fucks?

If you want the internet at its absolute worst, there it is.

For the egregious "wrong" of being unfaithful to another man (and really just being a woman with anything to say about video games), no punishment is too cruel. If such a mentality doesn't vindicate harsh words like what Greg Costikyan wrote, nothing does.

The really telling and scary part to me is they clearly recognize that these are damaging, horrific things to say because they're worried about how other people will view them.  They know it's bad, they know that other people will think it's bad, and yet it goes on and on and on and on...

I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend listening to this episode of Isometric:
http://5by5.tv/isometric/18

They talk about the nuances and complexities of gamergate and the level of dissonance one has to have when they decided to verbal abuse someone online. 

It's a frightening listen because most of the crew are video gaming journalists, have been and continue to be harassed and it's just... Just listen

A Game Journalist and a Game Developer on the same podcast?!?!?!? CLEARLY BIASSEDDDEEDED!!!!!! :eyebrow:

Seriously, thanks for the link. I'm always looking for another good gaming podcast to listen to.

That's pretty on topic! I could never get into isometric despite really wanting too. haven't listened to their newest one yet though. Spawn on Me sounds rad and like the kind of thing I've been wanting in a podcast. Definitely checking that out.

I just have no words for that IRC dump.  I don't think they can actually comprehend how terrible they are.

Different subject, the Ray Rice video has ignited another firestorm, part of which of course involves the public deciding they get to play armchair psychoanalysis on Janay Rice and why she hasn't left (and much scrambling of some people to attempt and hide their previous victim blaming).  But amidst that, the whyistayed and whyileft hashtags emerged of people sharing their own stories.  Some of that stuff is really raw, so delve into cautiously if you're sensitive to those kinds of stories. 

Also there's DiGiornio, which unwisely weighed in with "#whyistayed You had pizza." until they actually read what the tag was about. Oh social media. You're kind of shit but no-one wants to admit we get a lot less out of it than we put in.